PS4 faulty two weeks out of warranty

Soldato
It's amazing just how many people, in many threads, love to post the "consumer act aint it - ya sorted".
What they don't explain to you is that the behemoth of a company which has sold you an item with a single year warranty is not going to listen to that person on the phone explaining all this. That you can write, and phone and they will over and over again point you towards their own terms & conditions stating the item was sold with a single year warranty.
You can of course start the legal process if you like. What the "Mate, the law is on your side" people don't tell you is how long and expensive this process is, that you don't just get all of your costs back even in the event it makes it all the way to court and you somehow manage to win - remember the Samsung, Apple & Sony's of the world don't pay their legal team by the hour, so fingers crossed your deep pockets are deep enough.

I see your points but quite often the standard response from a firm like Sony is just no no no until you keep bugging them to the point that it is cheaper for them to just fix and move on.

If you call up you'll always get the standard response from the call centre pleb, send in a letter of complaint explaining the situation but be very nice and polite and state all the good stuff about being a long time customer etc. and see what they respond with.

They may not budge or may offer a fix for a lower price, if they offer bugger all then ask them if they are part of an alternative dispute resolution (ADR) scheme who can mediate the issue (https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/using-adr/). That might make them think this guy ain't worth arguing with and just fix the drive, and if they say no then you've done everything you can before making a small claim and you will have demonstrated you've tried to be reasonable and sort it out and they have not.

Associate
side note,

i contacted Microsoft by web chat about my elite pad thats over 2 years old and purchased from 'Game' due to sticks drifting.

within 5min they said yes, sent me postage label to send the old controller back and new controller on its way :D

Soldato
It's amazing just how many people, in many threads, love to post the "consumer act aint it - ya sorted".
What they don't explain to you is that the behemoth of a company which has sold you an item with a single year warranty is not going to listen to that person on the phone explaining all this. That you can write, and phone and they will over and over again point you towards their own terms & conditions stating the item was sold with a single year warranty.
You can of course start the legal process if you like. What the "Mate, the law is on your side" people don't tell you is how long and expensive this process is, that you don't just get all of your costs back even in the event it makes it all the way to court and you somehow manage to win - remember the Samsung, Apple & Sony's of the world don't pay their legal team by the hour, so fingers crossed your deep pockets are deep enough.

Their terms and conditions don't mean anything if it goes against the law...

Soldato
Their terms and conditions don't mean anything if it goes against the law...

And as I said in the very post you've quoted.
So if it goes against the law, you are expecting some member of the "general public" to have the time and money to see it go to court?
There is this massive misconception that should you go to court, and win, you get all your expenses back - you don't.
So this person is going to serve notice himself? Take it to court and simply point out "the law"? So him Vs Son'y lawyers?
Or will our man get a solicitor himself - well now we're seeing the costs ramp up a bit. Then, if he wins, he is still going to be out of pocket?

I've got nothing for or against these large companies, but I think some people don't think about what battles to actually fight.
A Sony console out of warranty gone faulty. Either decide you'll never buy Sony again and grab yourself an X-Box or go and buy a new console - either way your fix is instant and around the £200 mark.
Alternatively go take the legal route, you may eventually get the result you're looking for - but you'll be more than £200 out of pocket.

Soldato
If you go the legal route you will win . Its a matter of writing a letter sent in guaranteed delivery. If you get no joy / no response . you send again. If no satisfaction you send a third letter this time with the threat of legal action. Its at this point they fold.

This will work EVERY TIME. Its a legal right that nobody follows

Soldato
You don't do the claim against sony - your contract is with wherever you bought the system from (Sainsburys). You won't ever be more than about £50 out whilst going through the process and will definitely end up better off than giving in.

Associate
OP
Hi all,

thanks for all the advise, though a lot of the advice is mixed, which shows how straight forward the process is!

Just an update,
No go with Sony, so been on to a Sainsbury's a couple of times.
It is at the store managers discretion apparently, unfortunately I had surgery early June and I am still house bound. Which is the reason I eventually got round to trying Uncharted in the first place! Will try and get the Mrs to speak to them next time she is in as it is our local branch.

I would say after that I would likely go through the legal process, but we shall see, it seems like effort and opinions seem mixed as to whether I would end up out of pocket. (though Talon1973's plan seems tempting)

Soldato
Hi all,

thanks for all the advise, though a lot of the advice is mixed, which shows how straight forward the process is!

Just an update,
No go with Sony, so been on to a Sainsbury's a couple of times.
It is at the store managers discretion apparently, unfortunately I had surgery early June and I am still house bound. Which is the reason I eventually got round to trying Uncharted in the first place! Will try and get the Mrs to speak to them next time she is in as it is our local branch.

I would say after that I would likely go through the legal process, but we shall see, it seems like effort and opinions seem mixed as to whether I would end up out of pocket. (though Talon1973's plan seems tempting)

well if its sainsburys then great. Supermarkets are all about reputation, if you start hassling them over social media, posting a few links etc to where the law says about the device having to last reasonable time, i'd expect they will give in mate.

Associate
OP
Tah tad, my wife went in today and they switched it, no normal stock so now got a slim! Props to Sainsbury's, their tech support was good as well. In fact the telephone conversations I had were much more professional than Sony's.

Thanks for all the help everyone, and listening to me winge! everything seem's worse when you have been stuck in the house for a couple of months!
Now sat looking at sony's extended warranty... hah.

Soldato
Well done, see what happens if you persevere! Retailers will never tell you your full rights and always diminish it by stating 1yr warranty only and the like. Bit crappy of Sony too but I guess your contract isn't with them.

Soldato
I sent a ds4 back under warranty... got a truly atrocious 'refurb' controller back. R1 sticks down, R2 has ~30 range and is broken as well.

Back
Top Bottom