PS5 1440P Questions.

Associate
Hi. I have managed to get my hands on a PS5 but the problem is I only have a 1440p monitor which as you know , it doesn't support. The monitor I have is a Dell S2417DG 27". I use this for my PC gaming.

As far as I know, this monitor wouldn't support upscaling to 4K either so I suppose my only option would to be buying a new monitor which is going to be costly. The other option I suppose is holding out for Sony to release an update which they do support 1440p but that doesn't seem to look likely does it?

If I did go buying a new monitor route I'm confused as to what I should go for as well. I play a lot of shooters so I'm reading 1080p would be the way to go for 120hz so I'm not at a disadvantage but then I would also want to play some PS exclusives and feel like 1080p is really not getting the most out of a PS5.

Lots of question, little to no idea.

Help!?

Associate
Could factor in a TV and consolidate an update on your TV with the purchase of the PS5? Depending on your budget the LG 48/55" CX is the king for PS5 at the moment as it is 4K and has HDMI 2.1 for up to 120hz refresh on 4K. Personally, I have the LG c7, and it's still utterly brilliant even though it's limited to 4K60hz by its HDMI 2.0 ports.

Wouldn't bother with the newer 2021 models as they don't offer much over the 2020 CX.

Probably best off asking a mod for this thread to be moved to the Home AV / Cinema section for more attention.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi. I have managed to get my hands on a PS5 but the problem is I only have a 1440p monitor which as you know , it doesn't support. The monitor I have is a Dell S2417DG 27". I use this for my PC gaming.

As far as I know, this monitor wouldn't support upscaling to 4K either so I suppose my only option would to be buying a new monitor which is going to be costly. The other option I suppose is holding out for Sony to release an update which they do support 1440p but that doesn't seem to look likely does it?

If I did go buying a new monitor route I'm confused as to what I should go for as well. I play a lot of shooters so I'm reading 1080p would be the way to go for 120hz so I'm not at a disadvantage but then I would also want to play some PS exclusives and feel like 1080p is really not getting the most out of a PS5.

Lots of question, little to no idea.

Help!?

You could try one of these edid emulators - https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVanlak-Pa...d=1621510917&sprefix=edid,aps,171&sr=8-4&th=1

I used one with the Dell S2721DGFA which is 1440p only and doesn't have 4k support but the emulator tricks the PS5 into thinking the monitor does support it and so outputs at 4k 60 and the monitor just downscaled it.

Associate
OP
Could factor in a TV and consolidate an update on your TV with the purchase of the PS5? Depending on your budget the LG 48/55" CX is the king for PS5 at the moment as it is 4K and has HDMI 2.1 for up to 120hz refresh on 4K. Personally, I have the LG c7, and it's still utterly brilliant even though it's limited to 4K60hz by its HDMI 2.0 ports.

Wouldn't bother with the newer 2021 models as they don't offer much over the 2020 CX.

Probably best off asking a mod for this thread to be moved to the Home AV / Cinema section for more attention.

Thanks for your reply. Didn't think of that actually, good idea and we are in need of a better TV. I'm guessing the TV you recommended is very costly though... Don't think I can really stretch past £500 that's the problem.

As I said as well, most games I play tend to be shooters and response time/Hz is a big factor. Could I find a TV within my price range to do that well?

Yeah, this thread can be moved if it's in the wrong section, sorry about that!

Associate
OP
You could try one of these edid emulators - https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVanlak-Passthrough-Generrtion-Thunderbolt-Splitters-1920x1200-HDMI-EDID-1200-1P/dp/B07YMTMMH5/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2V6UIMS8L34A&dchild=1&keywords=edid+emulator&qid=1621510917&sprefix=edid,aps,171&sr=8-4&th=1

I used one with the Dell S2721DGFA which is 1440p only and doesn't have 4k support but the emulator tricks the PS5 into thinking the monitor does support it and so outputs at 4k 60 and the monitor just downscaled it.
I have read about these actually, how is the picture quality?

Associate
Thanks for your reply. Didn't think of that actually, good idea and we are in need of a better TV. I'm guessing the TV you recommended is very costly though... Don't think I can really stretch past £500 that's the problem.

As I said as well, most games I play tend to be shooters and response time/Hz is a big factor. Could I find a TV within my price range to do that well?

Yeah, this thread can be moved if it's in the wrong section, sorry about that!

At that budget I'm pretty sure I've seen that there's some half-decent Phillips TV's that could suit but have no personal experience with them. @Psycho Sonny is normally sound with TV advice.

Caporegime
Which ones are they mate? I have no real idea where to start when it comes to TV's.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/ps5

You ideally want one of their picks they have one for all budgets normally. However their best budget picks are all America only models.

Essentially your budget just isn't good enough for a decent Ps5 orientated gaming TV.

I would have suggested this personally.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sa...t-4k-tv-with-tizen-os-crystal-display-3693937

See if you can find a TU8000 elsewhere they should be the best gaming TV for your budget but I'll be honest the best TV for the Ps5 will be an LG OLED and they are £1k plus so over double your budget.

Nothing else will come close. £500 is just not good enough. I'd be tempted personally to stick with the gaming monitor or current TV and save more money and get something from the buyers guide above.

Caporegime
At that budget I'm pretty sure I've seen that there's some half-decent Phillips TV's that could suit but have no personal experience with them. @Psycho Sonny is normally sound with TV advice.

Sorry bud I did see this when you posted but I was writing a reply and got sidetracked so just posted above.

The Samsung tu8000 is my personal suggestion at this budget however it's a 2020 model and 2021 models have all launched and therefore the 2020 models are all EOL and therefore stock is now either gone completely or should be any day now. Replacement 20201 models won't be an option as their launch prices are usually double the price they sell for at EOL stage.

Unfortunately it's the worst time of the year to be buying especially a budget model.

The best time to buy is early February or late January. Just before new models are going to launch in march - may.

Associate
Nice updates on this @Psycho Sonny! :).

Agreed it is probably the worst time to consider a new TV as most if not all 2020 stock would have been liquidated.

Second hand market is an option if you don't care about warranty I suppose, but even at £500 I still wouldn't want something without some form of decent warranty for any early faults.

Caporegime
I'd go for one of these based on the guide above

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-2...mW_7_uID5Da-smxoxXym2rYzMCxPUAQcaApusEALw_wcB

£300

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/benq...UZROqEHYtFg-4vI1qWxjUxDp3hm4eXiwaAndxEALw_wcB

£350

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/philips/momentum-436m6vbpab

You can find this elsewhere for a pinch over £600

so that's a 27, 32 or a 43 inch all around your budget. Personally I'd go 32 for £350 and then save up for an OLED 55 inch from LG and get one of them next year. £20 a week is all you need to find spare and stick it into savings.

Back
Top Bottom