PS5 players won't get future Bethesda games

2 million £70 sales on PS5
Take off vat, take off PlayStation cut, you're not left with as much as you think.

Minecraft is cross platform for a good reason. After purchase sales. You buy Minecraft for pretty cheap, and then spend another £100 on it over the next x amount if years. Skyrim you buy once, then never spend any more on it again.

Associate
Take off vat, take off PlayStation cut, you're not left with as much as you think.

Minecraft is cross platform for a good reason. After purchase sales. You buy Minecraft for pretty cheap, and then spend another £100 on it over the next x amount if years. Skyrim you buy once, then never spend any more on it again.

That not true of all Minecraft buyers at all. You also have no idea about potential DLC on a Skyrim game either, as nor do I at present, but going by trends, there's likely to be a load of DLC for Elder Scrolls 6 too.

Associate
Game Pass is still a Hard Pass from me at this stage. Maybe once it becomes more enticing that might change

Games are now costing £70quid a pop at launch. GamePass Ultimate at 10.99 a months is daylight robbery. Even more so that I can share it with my sons Xbox Series S and use it on my PC as well. Buy 2 full priced games a year and you've paid for it. You can even convert Xbox Live Gold up to 3 years which is around 100ish for 3 years!!

Its never been so good!

Associate
Pretty sure when all of the Xbox 23 studios are firing off games every few months they'll be more to play and more variety for everyone. Pretty sure there's gonna be more aquisitions over next year or so, with GamePass being on Xbox,PC and Xcloud they need a stream of games coming every month.

Soldato
Games are now costing £70quid a pop at launch. GamePass Ultimate at 10.99 a months is daylight robbery. Even more so that I can share it with my sons Xbox Series S and use it on my PC as well. Buy 2 full priced games a year and you've paid for it. You can even convert Xbox Live Gold up to 3 years which is around 100ish for 3 years!!

Its never been so good!

The genuine question I have is whether that is sustainable for the industry. Spotify for a tenner a month seems great value too until you realise that smaller artists aren't getting anything resembling a fair cut.

We're in a bit of a weird place now where games in the future will be tied exclusively to a service rather than just a platform.

Associate
The genuine question I have is whether that is sustainable for the industry. Spotify for a tenner a month seems great value too until you realise that smaller artists aren't getting anything resembling a fair cut.

We're in a bit of a weird place now where games in the future will be tied exclusively to a service rather than just a platform.

Very true and going by what Phil Spencer has said at the moment its all about growing subs. They currently have around 20 million subs, with the new releases at the end of year coming, word of mouth and Xcloud being on streaming sticks/TV apps and browsers in a few months this will grow pretty fast.

They have already said they don't care where you play as long as its a platform that has GamePass, this will be on so many devices come the summer. Keeping customers subscribed is going to be the key, hence why the spending spree to get developers onboard making content monthly.

The attach ratio on the consoles to games is something like 2-3 so keeping a customer subscribed into the eco system over the lifetime is how its sustainable. Then add on the DLC sales, controllers,consoles,etc it soon mounts up.

Just like gamers expecting Bethesda's heavy hitters on PS5, it's not going to happen. A GamePass sub is worth way more to MS than a sale to Sony. You don't spend 7.5billion to keep the status quo, they could have paid magnitudes lower than that to get them on GamePass day 1. It's also about user engagement devs from Arkane have already come out and said the massive influx in gamers playing their games since they all got added to GamePass.

Associate
If they are buying, then I really don't anyone is off the acquisition table - Square? Sega? Namco? Capcom? Konami? All could be up for grabs for relative value in the same ballpark (~$7bn) and all would give an immediate leg up in the Japanese market!

Associate
Lol, you have to explain why you think it's a "hard pass".
Yeah... that was probably a bit too ambiguous for its own good that comment. :p
Should clarify that for me it's a hard pass because I already own most of that back catalogue and other than Gears 5 - which I don't have - there's nothing really there that I fancy.
For someone that's new to gaming, been away from it for a while or who has loads of time then yeah I can totally see the appeal of getting an instant catalogue for £8 / month though.

Man of Honour
If they are buying, then I really don't anyone is off the acquisition table - Square? Sega? Namco? Capcom? Konami? All could be up for grabs for relative value in the same ballpark (~$7bn) and all would give an immediate leg up in the Japanese market!

It's hard for them to buy a publicly traded company.

I wish Sega could happen though. MS could do so much more than Sega does with it's IPs.

Soldato
Meh, not really a big issue for me.. Only series i will miss a little will be The Evil Within, which may not get a 3rd outing anyway, and Wolfenstein. I am currently playing Fallout 76 but thats more for something to do lately as it only cost me a fiver and my god 2+ years on and its still a buggy grindy mess.

Caporegime
Maybe back in the year 2000, but I haven't had a single issue with any console ports iv played on PC over the last 5+ years.

I'll pick a few off the top of my head - BioShock 1 + 2 Remastered, Horizon Zero Dawn, Detroit Become Human, Nier Automata, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Dark Souls, Batman Arkham Knight. Some have had patches to help things after launch.

Back
Top Bottom