PSU went POP!!!

Suspended
Pulseammo said:
How did your mini-DV die? Perhaps the electrics in your house are going wonky? Blowing lights, Blowing PSU, possibly blown camcorder?

Like I said earlier. If two things have blown, plus a possible third (charging?) House electrics need checking out.

Associate
OP
my camera has played up since i got it, but the other day it just stopped working and starting flashing a red message saying "remove tape now!!" so i opened it and the tape was mangled inside the camera :mad: took me ages to clear it all out :( anywho that'l have to be RMA'd. I'm just glad nothing else was damaged when the PSU went, especially my brand new X2 3800!! i would have been raged!!

i will suggest a sparky come over and check out our electrics.

Soldato
Yewen said:
My Blue one makes a huge racket.

As it was the only thing that moved in the PC, was nothing else.
SPCR agree with you.
It also blew up the trusted reviews psu tester when they tested it.
A poor choice i think, good luck with it.

Soldato
I know of Hiper's that have had pieces of metal fall out of them.

Some are good, probably, but the 5 ive seen have been terrible, and after 5 months I have not heard of anyone still happy with them.

But its each to there own, I got sucked in by the hype they were generating, but the Tagan, Antecs and Enermax PSU's that I have used, from the past 6 years have all been leagues better.

May have just only seen the really bad ones, but it does not make me a big fan.

Associate
Yewen said:
I know of Hiper's that have had pieces of metal fall out of them.

Some are good, probably, but the 5 ive seen have been terrible, and after 5 months I have not heard of anyone still happy with them.

But its each to there own, I got sucked in by the hype they were generating, but the Tagan, Antecs and Enermax PSU's that I have used, from the past 6 years have all been leagues better.

May have just only seen the really bad ones, but it does not make me a big fan.

i totally agree with the above the hipers may be good when new, but they become really noisy after 6 months i had mine 7 months and its really annoying noise, its ok when idle but slightest task i do the psu goes into high load and it dont come back out.

i wish i never bought the PSU now, the fans are crap cheap
and also acording to toms hardware the psu fails because of high -12

Mine is also very hot to touch around the modular part
just going to RMA mine.

Soldato
I don't blame you for changing your order after reading those horror stories. I bought mine after reading several reviews and also several of my friends have the same PSU. Having said that I'll be sure to keep an eye on it over the next 12 months or so to see if it is as reliable as my Antecs have been in the past. ;)

Associate
paradigm said:
Hiper comes with one PCIe 6-pin plug, and one convertor, runs two cards fine :)

Ive got two 7800GT's running on my Hiper 580W :)

I couldnt get 2 x1900xtx cards running from the 580w hiper, it fell over all the time, went for a FSP 700w epsilon in the end and its perfect. The hiper would even make my system fall over with just 1 card in so i wouldnt recommend it if you have some power hungry devices in your PC (or i might have just had a crap hiper). The epsilon is Crossfire/SLi ready too.

With regards to your PSU blowing it could be a number of things. i would recommend getting a surge protector though just to be safe. You where lucky that it didnt take anything else with it though i have seen blown PSU's destroy everything they where connected too. Also once when i was working as a field engineer we had a system come in with a hard drive that blew every PSU that was connected to it (sometimes kit just has a mind of its own :) ).

Last edited:
Associate
yeah i went through 4 PSU's in the end before i got to the FSP, none of the others where able to cope, so far its an amazing PSU, i have a crossfire set up, 1 optical drive, 3 sata dives and a shed load of usb stuff plugged into my pc at the moment and it has no problem supplying constant, clean power.

Permabanned
Enermax are very good as well as the Seasonic S12's. But I surmise that the best bang for buck PSU at the moment is the Fortron Epsilon 600W - and not because I had one. :) I did a lot of research and reading around before I got one and even at £100+ (if you check a few competitors it still cost that much) it was seen as a good PSU but at it's current price of £82 on OCUK it's a bargain.

They keep on going where other notable PSU's fall over.

Back
Top Bottom