Purchased a small French lightweight hot hatch - Renault Clio 172 Cup & NOW 182 Trophy

Caporegime
hot hatches of yester year are worth snapping up. thinking of buying some to put away.prices are shooting up.even on not . great bargins buy em now. before they stupid money.

OcUK Staff
OP
hot hatches of yester year are worth snapping up. thinking of buying some to put away.prices are shooting up.even on not . great bargins buy em now. before they stupid money.

Yeah, probably gonna grab a 106GTi too, just waiting for a good low mile standard one to pop up at not silly money and though I don't want another Clio, the 182's in liquid yellow seem to fetch really good money as its a very rare colour and admittedly they do look awesome in liquid yellow.

OcUK Staff
OP
Question for other 172/182 owners, if I disconnect the battery will I have any trouble from the alarm, immobiliser or stereo wanting a code?

Associate
Question for other 172/182 owners, if I disconnect the battery will I have any trouble from the alarm, immobiliser or stereo wanting a code?

Had mine laid up for 9 months before in a relatives garage. Pretty sure I just disconnected the battery and left it unlocked. No issues getting it going again.

However when the battery is that flat, the door locks can engage of their own accord. Watch out for that! I had both keys inside the car and my Dad let the door close. It locked...

OcUK Staff
OP
Had mine laid up for 9 months before in a relatives garage. Pretty sure I just disconnected the battery and left it unlocked. No issues getting it going again.

However when the battery is that flat, the door locks can engage of their own accord. Watch out for that! I had both keys inside the car and my Dad let the door close. It locked...

Any radio code needed, its got factory CD player in it, all works don't want to brick that.

Commissario
Yes you will, it should be on the first page of the service book. Alternatively there’s a site listed in cliosport somewhere that lets you get a code for free on the first go.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Managed to get quite a few jobs done on the car today, plus more items arrived along with the new number plates.

So today manage to get done:
- Front upper and lower grills painted with plastiip to freshen them up
- Further cleaning on engine bay, decided not to paint inlet manifold but instead gave it some elbow grease and a real good cleaning.
- Carpets fully cleaned, seats all wiped down and then the interior trim all gone over with Meguiars interior detailor
- All the glass cleaned inside and out with Autofinesse glass cleaner
- New plates fitted
- Cup 172 badges fitted
- New gear gator fitted

Some pictures:

s9.jpg~original

s8.jpg~original

s6.jpg~original

s1.jpg~original

s4.jpg~original

s5.jpg~original

s2.jpg~original

s7.jpg~original

s3.jpg~original

Still lots to do but the car is really starting to look better, also the car still has all the original glass which with a Cup 172 is very important as they featured thinner lighter glass to save additional weight. Only downside is the front windscreen is scratched from where previous owners must allowed wipers to become so deteriorated they scratched the glass whilst wiping on passenger side. Got the inside cleaned up, looking much better now and managed to remove all the residue from the tax disc holder.

The interior does not need so much now it comes up really nice and been a one owner car with low mileage it really does show as the seats and steering wheel show very little wear whereas these cars soon show wear to the seats and thumb grips on steering wheel.

All I want to do on the interior is get the gear number H pattern back on top of the gear stick as its faded.

The exterior still needs a lot of work, next step is to remove the side strips and bullets to give a real good clean behind those, along with cleaning the bullets and strips themselves, wax behind and refit. Then get a touch up kit and fix the loss of paint on door edges, thankfully only down to primer so no corrosion or rust, so get all that fixed. Then see if I can polish out the minor scratches around the car, followed by a clay, polish and sealant.

Also the fresher original cup springs arrived today and the Powerflex engine mount, just waiting on upper mount to arrive now so I can remove the old, clean that area up and refit new mount:

s10.jpg~original

So brand new original dampers with much fresher springs, powerflex rear beam limiters/bushes will perfect the handling.

More updates to come. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I recommend Chipex for touch up. It's not the quickest of systems but it is very good for an ''at home" solution.

If you are looking to get the wheels Powdercoated tap up Powdercoating Shropshire and mention me for a bit of discount. They do a super bright silver which looks fantastic.

Soldato
I recommend Chipex for touch up. It's not the quickest of systems but it is very good for an ''at home" solution.

If you are looking to get the wheels Powdercoated tap up Powdercoating Shropshire and mention me for a bit of discount. They do a super bright silver which looks fantastic.
Or take them to city powder coaters in Birmingham £20 per wheel

OcUK Staff
OP

Thank you, ordered the Platinum kit.

Soldato
Impressed with the sheer effort and motivation here. Something I used to have but really struggle to muster these days.

What's the best stuff to use to stick new reg plates on? I've used the sticky foam pads from Halfords in the past but found they would droop over time and/or gradually unstick.

OcUK Staff
OP
You have got to be quick!

Been busy ordering stuff today, Chipex, ECP inner and out track rod ends, inner play was advisory on last MOT, so might as fix that but just do both sides as the 50% discount code makes stuff rather cheap.
Also ordered a pair of new front wishbones from Renault, if they come with ball joints as pictured as £70 a side makes them rather cheap.

In theory that should be every bush, ball joint and suspension component in front changed and most the rear too. All that is left is stuff like wheel bearings, CV joints etc. which can be changed as or when they begin to fail.

Caporegime
Interesting thread, I'll be following with ,erm, interest! :D

Another warning Re the strength (or lack of) these, my mum had one years back - not a 172 mind you - hers was written off at 12 months old after an extremely minor - almost walking pace - traffic shunt which bent the chassis!

Epic little things but made of cardboard it appears.

Associate
You have got to be quick!

Been busy ordering stuff today, Chipex, ECP inner and out track rod ends, inner play was advisory on last MOT, so might as fix that but just do both sides as the 50% discount code makes stuff rather cheap.
Also ordered a pair of new front wishbones from Renault, if they come with ball joints as pictured as £70 a side makes them rather cheap.

In theory that should be every bush, ball joint and suspension component in front changed and most the rear too. All that is left is stuff like wheel bearings, CV joints etc. which can be changed as or when they begin to fail.

Yes they the wishbones come with ball joints.

I seem to recall that the inner tie rods from ECP never end up being the same / correct length. Double check them side by side to confirm. Also you will need to get tie rod removal tool as they are a complete swine to get access to.

Normally people go genuine inners then ECP for lemforder ends.

Back
Top Bottom