• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Purchased an 5800X3D - upgrade advice please

Associate
Hi there,

I'm a bit of a novice PC builder and just need a bit of advice on an upgrade please.
I'm upgrading from a Ryzen 5 3600 to the 5800X3D, it's my first "expensive" CPU I've owned and believe it is going to be a bit of a jump up in terms of heat. I currently have no fans or cooler other than the default that came with the original 3600 CPU and case fan.

Would anyone mind having a look at my set up and recommending a cooler? any and maybe some extra fans? I've got zero experience in this area as I've always managed without.

PSU: 750W Seasonic Focus GX 750 80PLUS Gold, Single Rail, Fully Modular, 62A, 120mm Fan, ATX PSU
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG Dark Tint, Mid Tower Computer Chassis
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-PRO
Graphics: RTX 3080 Founders
RAM: L HyperX FURY 16GB (1x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4

Bonus if you're feeling really helpful - is it worth upgrading the RAM?

THANK YOU!

Soldato
You should definitely go for dual channel RAM.

For CPU cooler the general advice is to go for the largest and/or best reviewed air cooler that fits in your case from reputable brands e.g. Noctua, Be Quiet, Deepcool.

I'd also add at least another 100w to the PSU. While 750w is enough this system could pull about 600w or more, it's too close for my comfort zone but you'll be fine with 750w anyway.

Man of Honour
Seeing as you've got to replace the cooler and CPU anyway, I'd definitely do a RAM upgrade while you're at it. Should be set for 5 years or so after that.

Soldato
As said, running RAM in single channel is going to hurt your gaming performance a lot. You could add another 16GB stick that's the same as the one you've already got, though on 3200 kits it's not guaranteed that the actual RAM chips will be the same even if it's the exact same model. Many companies just use whatever they have on hand from moment to moment. You can run mix and match RAM, but you may potentially face compatibility issues or limited speeds. The other option would be to just sell the stick you have and grab a new matched kit. DDR4 is pretty cheap these days and you could bump your speed up to 3600 into the deal.

As for a cooler, you don't need to go nuts for the 5800X3D. It only pulls ~110W. If you want an AIO, the Arctic Liquid Freezer II units are very good. The Deepcool AK620 would be a great option for an air cooler. Available for ~£50 and even beats out some AIOs.

Soldato
As said, running RAM in single channel is going to hurt your gaming performance a lot. You could add another 16GB stick that's the same as the one you've already got, though on 3200 kits it's not guaranteed that the actual RAM chips will be the same even if it's the exact same model. Many companies just use whatever they have on hand from moment to moment. You can run mix and match RAM, but you may potentially face compatibility issues or limited speeds. The other option would be to just sell the stick you have and grab a new matched kit. DDR4 is pretty cheap these days and you could bump your speed up to 3600 into the deal.

As for a cooler, you don't need to go nuts for the 5800X3D. It only pulls ~110W. If you want an AIO, the Arctic Liquid Freezer II units are very good. The Deepcool AK620 would be a great option for an air cooler. Available for ~£50 and even beats out some AIOs.

I'd agree with most of this. I'd sell your current RAM to save any headaches. Potentially 4x8GB sticks can run better but you would be fine with 2x8GB, 3600MHz C16 or better. I'd go with the Arctic Freezer II assuming it fits. Should last you until Zen 5.

Caporegime
Agree with the gents above, particularly on the cooler choices. I always go for an AIO from Arctic personally, very quiet and excellent results. :)

My personal opinion is this:

Upgrade your memory to 2x16GB kits, make sure you install in the correct DIMM slots on your board, DIMM B2 and A2 according to the motherboard documentation. Go for some high quality plug and play memory, something like this from OcuK which should run 3600Mhz CL16 at 1.45v. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...00c16-3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-my-002-8p.html.

Caporegime
I hit 78c in CB20 with my Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280.

Might look into the larger version.
Is that with the 5800X3D? If so that's decent tbh as they run warm under heavy all core loads but much cooler for gaming.

I've been using PBO2 Tuner to run a -30 Curve Optimizer on all cores of my 5800X3D and it has brought power usage and temperatures down significantly. Debug.7z - Google Drive

Using PBO Tuner 2 I brought stock CB23 temps down from 83c to 69c and performance went up using -30 on all cores. YMMV.

It's most odd having such a fast CPU and reducing the already low power draw by 25W or so for no loss in performance. :cry:

Soldato
Is that with the 5800X3D? If so that's decent tbh as they run warm under heavy all core loads but much cooler for gaming.

I've been using PBO2 Tuner to run a -30 Curve Optimizer on all cores of my 5800X3D and it has brought power usage and temperatures down significantly. Debug.7z - Google Drive

Using PBO Tuner 2 I brought stock CB23 temps down from 83c to 69c and performance went up using -30 on all cores. YMMV.

It's most odd having such a fast CPU and reducing the already low power draw by 25W or so for no loss in performance. :cry:

What's the highest you've seen the core voltage (SVI2 TFN) in HWiNFO64? I'm seeing 1.25v tops.

Caporegime
What's the highest you've seen the core voltage (SVI2 TFN) in HWiNFO64? I'm seeing 1.25v tops.
1.237v at the moment, though I am using -30 on all cores so that will have reduced the voltage somewhat.

4.55Ghz would be lightly threaded workloads only, most likely on just a single or few cores.

Associate
THe replies in this thread have all been on point.

I wouldnt stress tooooo much about having a single RAM module and not running in dual channel config - it does hurt your performance but moving from a Ryzenb 3600 to a 5800X3D is an insane jump in performance.

Would suggest you get the below cooler.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £103.69 (includes delivery: £8.70)​

You can fit a 360 mm rad up front but it wont be that much better than a 280mm rad.

Associate
OP
Some really great replies here, thanks everyone.

I'm not in a massive rush to install the x3D so I think I'll save a bit and get the DDR4 3600 and Artic Liquid II

Then hopefully sit back for a few years and finally stop stressing about having to source PC conponents!

Soldato

I think I'll have to pick your brains when I get around to installing it. Currently using an EK Phoenix AIO so lower temperatures are always better.

Man of Honour
I wouldnt stress tooooo much about having a single RAM module and not running in dual channel config - it does hurt your performance but moving from a Ryzenb 3600 to a 5800X3D is an insane jump in performance.

It mainly helps with the lows and frame rate consistency, but yeah, modern Ryzens can handle this better than the older models.

Associate
Some really great replies here, thanks everyone.

I'm not in a massive rush to install the x3D so I think I'll save a bit and get the DDR4 3600 and Artic Liquid II

Then hopefully sit back for a few years and finally stop stressing about having to source PC conponents!
You do know that the 5800X3D is a limited run and won’t last forever?

if you haven’t purchased it yet, I’d do so.

Associate
OP
You do know that the 5800X3D is a limited run and won’t last forever?

if you haven’t purchased it yet, I’d do so.

I've got one here, I just needed a bit of advice for how to get the best out of it. The 3080 heats up enough as it is (about 79/80c) so I knew it was time to finally sort some proper cooling out.

Back
Top Bottom