Python, Ruby on Rails, .NET? Which one best suits my project?

Soldato
I have an idea for a web-based application. In terms of it's framework there will be an MS SQL backend (possibly MySQL to begin with) then a bunch of web forms for adding data.

E.g. you might have a contacts form + supporting table, then an Incidents form and supporting table but all related. I'm sure you lot will get the idea.

I used to code a long time a go but it was mainly scripting languages. Since this will be a fully fledged web application I'm guessing I'll be needing something object orientated like .NET or Ruby.

I figured I'll learn it myself. Looked into hiring some people in India but the reviews are terrible + too expensive hiring talent over here in the UK!

I want to keep time down but not compromise on quality. Based on those two things which platform would best suit the project? TIA :)

Man of Honour
I'm assuming you need to learn the language before writing the application? If that's the case then any of them would do the job. But Ruby and .NET will probably require more effort than Python in my opinion.

Do you really need anything as heavyweight as .NET or Ruby? How about looking at PHP or JavaScript (which now works on the server)?

Given you will need to learn the language before you start then I think other factors are probably more important in helping decide which one to use... where will the app be hosted and what are the costs for each? How many users are expected to use it? Will the long term aim be to hand the app over to someone else (developers of different languages cost different amounts), will you intend to write other apps in the future (different languages have different strengths and weaknesses), etc.

If it were me I would not go for the highest quality on day one because you'll never get it finished. Just aim for the MVP (minimum viable product) and tidy it up in version 2. You dont know yet whether it will be successful and time to market could also be key. That would lead me to pick the language I felt I could write it in the quickest even if it wasn't the sexiest fully fledged language out there.

Maybe you already know one of those languages? If so then probably pick that. They can all do what you want. If it were me I would probably just go for PHP and/or Javascript as it is cheap to host, has a ton of online help, is quite high level so fast to write and really simple to get working on your own machine. PHP is less sexy than other languages nowadays though.

However if you have to pick from the three you listed I would probably go .NET. Python can do it and I've really come to like this language. But it wasn't really designed to be a web development language. Ruby is great but falling out of favour so usage is declining. But you may find .NET skills useful in the future. So out of those three I would pick it. But in reality for a web based app I personally would pick something lighter weight such as PHP or JavaScript. I suspect I may be in the .inority here though so I suggest waiting for more experienced opinions.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
It is simply a front end to a database without any serious storage or processing going on in the background?

If so, doing it in pure PHP with a JS/HTML/CSS front end would be the quickest and easiest to learn given your background.

If you wanted a framework you could look into using Laravel which is PHP based and gives you a more OO MVP style of working I believe (not used it myself yet).

Soldato
If you're interested I can put you in touch with a UK based developer, his company is undergoing redundancies and he may be able to help. I believe he's c# and .net mainly.

If you want to try it yourself, as Hades has said, there's a lot of variables. A little more info would help.

If you want to just jump straight in, Python with Django, lots of tutorials online.

Soldato
OP
Would like to say thanks for your input. I did some investigating and stumbled on ASP.NET MVC using entity framework. Looks pretty cool, is massively time saving and relatively easy to pick up. Plus loads and loads of info out there.

@Hades - your point re MVP makes a lot of sense. Can't say it's an acronym I was familiar with but am now.

Sorry @AHarvey but I've decided to try and drive this solo for now at least but if I do get stuck I'll made a note of your user.

Back
Top Bottom