• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Quad vs Dual in UT3?

Associate
Yeah well I need to recoup the money to pay off my card first, then I'll look into possibly picking up a 45nm quad.

And I use fraps because it graphs it out on my logitech board.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna get a 45nm quad as well, they maybe lower multi locked, but i'd be happy with any overclock over 3Ghz, and it looks easy to get these new chips to 3.6Ghz even with a low multi.

Soldato
OP
But 50fps is still fast! Might not be 60+ fps that you are used to but certainly nothing to be upset about surely? It very well might be the 2mb cache as well vs. 8mb on the quad.

I can live with 50fps...but it's the fact that the FPS jumps all over the place....1 minute its smooth as silk and the next it's down into the 40s. That's what annoys me.

In other games framerate decreases aren't as noticeable but in UT3 they are...not sure why.

Associate
Must be lucky I guess, considering I play UT3 @ max online withouth problems, it keeps up around 90fps most of the time... on a E2180 .. only oc'ed at 2.4 lol.

*(8800GTS / 2gb / prelude)

Soldato
UT3 has always favored QUAD CORES.

just look when you play the game most of the time all 4 cores are at 40-60%

UT3 will indeed bottle neck a 8800 card with a Dualcore.

Soldato
Rememeber those benchies are clock for clock. There will still be a lot of disagreement about whether a similarly priced higher clocked dual core will be the gamers choice over the next year.

Nice to see quad technology finally start to pull ahead all the same.

Associate
yeah i posted a quote from the Epic devs in a few of the dual vs quad threads. Essentially it runs 2 main threads and then there are a number of helper threads that will run on core 3 and 4 if you have them.

There are actually a lot of games on the way using the Unreal 3 Engine so this isnt just limited to UT3.

And of course you can try turning some settings down? I get playable fps on a 3700 running at 2.4ghz with lower detail. A stable 40 or so. As quite a competative player I also would prefer a higher rate, something that syncs nicely with my monitor would be fine ;)!

Anyways, I just ordered a dual so hope it works, I gave up waiting for the next round of chips. Maybe Ill get one next year :).

Soldato
OP
And of course you can try turning some settings down? I get playable fps on a 3700 running at 2.4ghz with lower detail. A stable 40 or so. As quite a competative player I also would prefer a higher rate, something that syncs nicely with my monitor would be fine ;)

I don't think turning the detail down will help as my graphics card is not the problem.

Anyway **UPDATE**

I have switched back to XP x64 and now my framerate stays around 60...sometimes high 50s! So it seems that the CPU power gets robbed a bit by Vista! Its not just 3dmark cpu scores that get hit!

So if you are CPU limited in a game I suggest trying the game on XP.

Soldato
Yeah I still get 62fps much of the time...but when it dips to 50fps it drives me so crazy that I just leave the game. It's unplayable imo when the framerate dips like that

The game ships with the frame set as 62fps as a maximum. Its called framerate smoothing in the game.ini file I think. It helps the game maintain a more constant fps, dropping from 100-50 is far more annoying than 60-50. Its not for everyone, but it is pretty handy.

~60 fps max = Vsync. Try disabling it.

Possibly, but most likely what I said above :)

Back
Top Bottom