Quake 3?

Permabanned
I enjoy playing quake live so I dug out my copy of quake 3 and team arena to play online.

I installed monster browser but I can only find about 10 q3base servers when I search. Is that accurate?

I don't mind playing modded but I can't use the ingame brower as its terrible and all I can find are "excessive" servers when I use it.

I just want ctf, team dm etc but custom maps would be good aswell.

Anyone have a list of servers or a good server browser program that will help me?

Thanks. I'm kind of clueless :)

Permabanned
OP
srsly? I thought trying out custom maps would be fun, I don't mind bad graphics I still enjoy ut 99 and I had fun with the recent free release of bf1942.

should I get quake live premium then?

Man of Honour
The release of QL pretty much killed the already nearly dead Q3 scene so unless you just play singleplayer then yeah...QL it is.

I can't comment on QL premium as I've not tried it.

Soldato
No, play free QL and if you fall in love with it then buy the premium sub. By 10 years late I meant to the Q3 scene, rather than graphics/gameplay wise. You'll get murdered by Q3 players who have been religiously playing since '99 anyway and likely not enjoy it that much ;)

Permabanned
OP
No, play free QL and if you fall in love with it then buy the premium sub. By 10 years late I meant to the Q3 scene, rather than graphics/gameplay wise. You'll get murdered by Q3 players who have been religiously playing since '99 anyway and likely not enjoy it that much ;)
Thanks, I consider myself pretty handy at twitch fps though.

I'll take your advice and buy premium once I've had enough of standard ql.

Do many people play premium as standard ql isn't exactly bustling with players?

Man of Honour

I'll take your advice and buy premium once I've had enough of standard ql.

Do many people play premium as standard ql isn't exactly bustling with players?

As far as I'm aware premium and standard players play with each other for the most part. At least in regards to the basic maps.

QL sadly isn't overwhelmed with players though, you're right :/

Soldato
I'd have played more if Threewave was part of it, but it's not and that's what I spent all my years in Q3 playing.

Soldato
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I thought it better than starting a new one.

I have just installed Quake 3 on my new Windows build for a bit of nostalgia.

I have updated to 1.32 and set the resolution to 1080p. All seems good.

But what is 1.32c patch all about and how do I install it?

Cheers.

Soldato

Would love an update to how you have found yourself on quakelive ;) For non-quake players and new school players its a whole different ballgame, really shows up just how easy and dumbed down modern fps have become.

Hope you are enjoying it though, i havent played in years now, hate how you have to have premium for the decent tournament maps, the ones in standard rotation are horrendous and if anything will just put newcomers off of the game.

When i get uni out of the way i hope to get back into quake again and will sub for premium.

Man of Honour
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I thought it better than starting a new one.

I have just installed Quake 3 on my new Windows build for a bit of nostalgia.

I have updated to 1.32 and set the resolution to 1080p. All seems good.

But what is 1.32c patch all about and how do I install it?

Cheers.

IIRC the c patch was a sort of optional one that protected against a couple of exploits - mostly relating to being able to crash servers.

Any Quake 3/TA servers still running other than the odd mod will likely be running either OSP or CPMA (will be few if any running baseq3) but 99% of the community have moved over to quakelive AFAIK - never had any problems finding populated games in QL but its a few months since I last checked in.

Soldato
People tend to shy away from things that take skill or effort, hence why bazillions of people play CoD and Battlefield where pot luck do most of the work for you. Quakelive has recently had tournaments held with pretty big cash prizes and big viewer bases, so it can't be all that dead.

Back
Top Bottom