Quest 3 owners etc

Soldato
oh, so you've got the elite strap with battery ?

its only a power bank, you'll need to unplug it, try it and see

Meta support didn't make much comment but they've apparently dispached a replacement Elite Battery Strap for my Meta Quest 3 so hopefully it won't exhibit the same issues with draining the battery whilst it's connected to my Quest 3 when the device is turned off.

Associate
Meta support didn't make much comment but they've apparently dispached a replacement Elite Battery Strap for my Meta Quest 3 so hopefully it won't exhibit the same issues with draining the battery whilst it's connected to my Quest 3 when the device is turned off.
Weirdly I left my Q3 plugged in via USB3 on my pc the other night as I have always done with my Q2. The next morning it had completely drained out and yes it was turned off fully not standby. The Q2 was always fully charged leaving over night.

Soldato
Weirdly I left my Q3 plugged in via USB3 on my pc the other night as I have always done with my Q2. The next morning it had completely drained out and yes it was turned off fully not standby. The Q2 was always fully charged leaving over night.
That suggests the issue is with the Quest 3 itself and simply having a device of some kind connected.

Be interesting to see if I have he same issue with a new battery strap. Going by media articles there’s clearly been some kind of issue with the initial batch of battery straps though so I’m happier having it replaced to be honest.

I’ll you know how things go when it arrives. The current ones been fine since I started disconnecting the charging cable whilst it’s powered off. I feel that shouldn’t be necessary with such an expensive first party head strap though.

Last edited:
Soldato

This was also an issue with the Q2 battery strap. The only solution was to unplug it when not using it.

Soldato
This was also an issue with the Q2 battery strap. The only solution was to unplug it when not using it.

Did they manage to fix it with later models of the strap or a firmware update?

Or is it still a problem as oddly Meta support never answered my question on whether it’s a known issue with the battery strap on the Quest 3?

Last edited:
Soldato
No it was never fixed.
Seems like a pretty serious design flaw! Especially given that it literally has a pass through power connector so you can leave the battery strap connected.

Even worse if it was an issue with the Quest 2 battery strap and they still haven’t fixed it!

Last edited:
Associate
Q3 definitely draining out while plugged into the USB3 port on my PC. I Have lost charge overnight again. Same port, Same cable the Q2 fully charges overnight.

Associate
Yesterday I received another headset replacement from meta (I’m now on my 4th headset) and this one again has the same audio issues and on top of that the right lens has very high level of brightness loss that starts close to the middle of the lens (the other headsets and the left lens of this one had this darkening only near the edges).
I’m now at a point where I had enough and want the damn thing gone despite investing over £400 into accessories and upgraded WiFi.
Looks like getting 100% defect free sample is as likely as winning a lottery so I might do that instead.
One thing I have to say is that meta customer support was excellent and they even topped up my meta account by £50 as the replacement was not delivered before Christmas.
Since I can’t return it for a refund anymore I will probably sell it as defective and be done with it.

Soldato
Yesterday I received another headset replacement from meta (I’m now on my 4th headset) and this one again has the same audio issues and on top of that the right lens has very high level of brightness loss that starts close to the middle of the lens (the other headsets and the left lens of this one had this darkening only near the edges).
I’m now at a point where I had enough and want the damn thing gone despite investing over £400 into accessories and upgraded WiFi.
Looks like getting 100% defect free sample is as likely as winning a lottery so I might do that instead.
One thing I have to say is that meta customer support was excellent and they even topped up my meta account by £50 as the replacement was not delivered before Christmas.
Since I can’t return it for a refund anymore I will probably sell it as defective and be done with it.

You've had four Quest 3s and they're all defective?

Associate
You've had four Quest 3s and they're all defective?
Yeah.
First one had flicker at 120hz, second one had massive mura and a dead pixel in the middle of the screen, third one had uneven mid tones between left and right speaker and this one has uneven speakers and darker right lens.
I seem to be very unlucky with my purchases recently.
Retuned steam deck oled due to uneven brightness between left and right side of the screen and now in the process of returning asus rog ally due to few defects.
Yes I am a bit picky when it comes to tech but recently it’s been terrible.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah.
First one had flicker at 120hz, second one had massive mura and a dead pixel in the middle of the screen, third one had uneven mid tones between left and right speaker and this one has uneven speakers and darker right lens.
I seem to be very unlucky with my purchases recently.
Retuned steam deck oled due to uneven brightness between left and right side of the screen and now in the process of returning asus rog ally due to few defects.
Yes I am a bit picky when it comes to tech but recently it’s been terrible.

It's very difficult to get a perfect quest 3, but they do exist. I remember one of mine had terrible mura, it was like both lenses were covered in dirt.

Associate
It's very difficult to get a perfect quest 3, but they do exist. I remember one of mine had terrible mura, it was like both lenses were covered in dirt.
I’m sure they do exist however I’ve lost patience now between quest and the other devices I bought and returned.
Spending all that money on tech just to be disappointed with quality control is so off putting.

Soldato

wow, that's unlucky. I have tested 13 Quest 3's since xmas. Yes, 13. Family and friends bought them for their kids and I am their goto tech guy. They were all fine. No audio issues, no flicker at 120hz, no dead pixels or dirt or anything like that. Apart from very faint Mura, all the headsets were perfect.

I think what's happening is that you are getting refurbished units as replacements not a new headset. Try another refund but this time demand a new headset not a refurbished one. It might take longer for them to send you out a replacement though.

Soldato
OP
wow, that's unlucky. I have tested 13 Quest 3's since xmas. Yes, 13. Family and friends bought them for their kids and I am their goto tech guy. They were all fine. No audio issues, no flicker at 120hz, no dead pixels or dirt or anything like that. Apart from very faint Mura, all the headsets were perfect.

I think what's happening is that you are getting refurbished units as replacements not a new headset. Try another refund but this time demand a new headset not a refurbished one. It might take longer for them to send you out a replacement though.
Or get a refund, and order a new one from Amazon etc.

Associate

Could be however all were packaged and sealed like brand new units.

Back
Top Bottom