Quest or S?

Soldato
Hi guys

I'm really considering a vr headset, not had one before.

How much space do you need for the S? I have the PC for VR just not a lot of room! Can you sit down with the rift S?

What are peoples user experiences like with the quest and S ?

Thanks

Soldato
The quest is good because you can use it anywhere. You don't need to be near a PC.

You can sit down with the Rift S and it works in a very small area.

Associate
I had the rift s but returned it due to having issues with the tracking every time I tried to use it. I now have the Quest and it is brilliant, so quick to put on and play, much better for watching films etc and it can be used with the pc via link. All in all I highly recommend the Quest.

Soldato
I had the rift s but returned it due to having issues with the tracking every time I tried to use it. I now have the Quest and it is brilliant, so quick to put on and play, much better for watching films etc and it can be used with the pc via link. All in all I highly recommend the Quest.
Really looking forward to opening mine up xmas morning... Pretty much all the reasons that I've wanted it.

Associate
Really looking forward to opening mine up xmas morning... Pretty much all the reasons that I've wanted it.

And another benefit as mentioned above is the OLED screen - I've gone on about this in other threads but to me it made a massive difference - the grey black in the S ruined darker games (I'm a space sci fi fan and my wife likes horror games so play plenty of games where proper blacks are required).

Soldato
QUEST
Pros

Slightly higher resolution, deeper blacks
Mobile wireless and PC tethered modes
Physical IPD adjustment
Cons
Front heavy with basic head strap
Tethered mode requires extra cable
Requires charging (even in tethered mode)
More visible god rays

RIFT S
Pros

Lighter with halo style head strap
Better overhead tracking (extra sensor)
Slightly faster refresh rate
Cons
No physical IPD adjustment
Tethered only
Blacks can appear grey

Seated VR is mostly limited to passive experiences and vehicle-based games. Most other things expect you to be standing with a little space to flail about.

Last edited:
Soldato
And another benefit as mentioned above is the OLED screen - I've gone on about this in other threads but to me it made a massive difference - the grey black in the S ruined darker games (I'm a space sci fi fan and my wife likes horror games so play plenty of games where proper blacks are required).

My minimum requirement was OLED headset for PCVR with internally built tracking. This fits the bill at a reasonable price and has many more pros on top of that. I am almost done with non-OLED screens. I have a 4k OLED alienware laptop, LG OLED on my TV. At least full array local dimming LED screens can replicate very deep black colours to a good extent but my edge lit ultrawide monitor pales in comparison to all of them. Don't quite fancy having a VR headset paling in comparison either.

Soldato
My minimum requirement was OLED headset for PCVR with internally built tracking.
OLED is still not perfect for VR though. God rays are more evident and there can be black smear. Colours and black levels are undoubtedly better though.
Do not need a cable using Virtual Desktop and Steam VR/Oculus Games.
You do however need damn good Wi-Fi and more frequent recharges.

Soldato
OLED is still not perfect for VR though. God rays are more evident and there can be black smear. Colours and black levels are undoubtedly better though.

If you havent got good wifi there is something wrong with you ! I've even used my Quest outside playing Thrill of the Fight full ring and I've just got a BT Smart Hub 2 no 3rd party special router or anything. Thats two rooms away and then outside.

Dont need frequent recharges either, two 10000mAH power banks with power supply distribution would give you 24hr gaming.

I also dont suffer from the Quest being front heavy?!

Soldato
I've even used my Quest outside playing Thrill of the Fight full ring and I've just got a BT Smart Hub 2 no 3rd party special router or anything. Thats two rooms away and then outside.
Ah, I've not tried it. But I read that it needs a good 5GHz connection for the best quality experience and this drops off quickly with distance - depending on what your house is made of.

I definitely find the Rift S more comfortable for longer gaming sessions. The Quest has a lot more hardware in the front and a less supportive head strap - but this is often a personal thing. I have seen some people balance out the weight by strapping the extra battery pack on the rear!

Soldato
I use 2.4ghz and the quality is no different from cable from the games I have tested. Our house is made up of very thick reclaimed stone. My PC is opposite end of house to my router up one floor and connection is fine. VD reports 144Mbps to Quest and around 25-30ms.

Soldato

The rift lcds are great at eliminating sde, improving clarity and glare but they don’t have the low persistence or optional higher refresh rate advantages which the index has on its lcd panels so I find them a sideways move from the quest.

Soldato
Tested discuss Rift S vs Quest in their Half-Life: Alyx hands-on. On the Quest they saw some compression artifacts in volumetric effects, and some loss of detail; e.g. small text. They also mentioned it became uncomfortable after 30-40 mins, due to being front heavy.

Soldato
I still think scaling is an issue on the Quest - the software part of the IPD adjust doesn't seem to work properly, resulting in a smaller world scale.

Back
Top Bottom