Question for anyone in HR

Associate
I have just heard that an employee sacked for theft is going to get his job back. I don't know if this is true, it can't be can it?

I mean you don't come back from gross misconduct unless you or someone on your behalf inserts head firmly inbetween the directors cheeks or maybe romances him.

But if he does where do I stand with my toolbox, he's robbed a few bits out of it before but since I was not there when it went missing I can't prove anything

Soldato
What's the point in sacking him then? I'd query it with HR, strangely they may not be aware of it if record keeping is poor or the department is rather large. I know as I work with mine regularly and half of them don't know what's happening elsewhere..

Last edited:
Soldato
Have they successfully appealed against their dismissal?

No sane employer will give a job to someone they have just sacked for gross misconduct. Unless, you know, blackmail...

Soldato
There's definitely more to it. Gross misconduct generally means cutting all ties.

Most definitely. At a previous workplace a guy on the boxing line got caught helping himself to goods, he used shrink wrap all the CDs/DVDs he wanted and then to go to the toilet to throw the bundle through the window so he could then go back later at night to pick it up. He got rumbled and sacked for gross misconduct, and as a consequence he couldn't even drive onto the company car-park to pick up his wife who worked in the offices.

Soldato
Was he found guilty of gross misconduct, or was it the case that it was assumed he would be for apparently stealing and was subsequently found to be innocent?

Perhaps he appealed on the basis that there was no concrete evidence? Was it just that he was suspended pending investigation rather than actually sacked and people assumed sacking as he'd disappeared?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Was he found guilty of gross misconduct, or was it the case that it was assumed he would be for apparently stealing and was subsequently found to be innocent?

This.

Do you know for sure he was dismissed or was he simply suspended while the matter was investigated?

Associate
or it could have been investigated and the disciplinary manager decided that sacking was the appropriate way of dealing with it.

gets sacked and appeals gets it reduced or removed.

Soldato
I know a situation where an employee was sacked for several accounts of theft - cctv, witnesses etc.

Several months later they were back at work - their union used the defence that they were depressed etc and not only were they given their job back, they got a couple of k compensation.

£100's of stock taken from the premises where they worked.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I know a situation where an employee was sacked for several accounts of theft - cctv, witnesses etc.

Several months later they were back at work - their union used the defence that they were depressed etc and not only were they given their job back, they got a couple of k compensation.

£100's of stock taken from the premises where they worked.

I don't believe you.

Man of Honour
and as a consequence he couldn't even drive onto the company car-park to pick up his wife who worked in the offices.

That has to be a horrid position to be in - a colleague hired her son for awhile and he stole stuff and she could barely show her face for awhile despite being one of the most honest and decent persons working there (and everyone knows it).

I can't imagine any company hiring someone they know to be a thief the potential for fallout is just so big - though I guess the aspect that if stuff does go missing you have a pretty good idea who it is likely to be - but its a horrid atmosphere for everyone to have to work in - I'm glad they've managed to quickly catch and get rid of the people who've stolen stuff at work in the past.

Back
Top Bottom