Questions - Diesel engine and transmission / gearbox reliability circa 2014-2019 -BMW - Mercedes - Audi ( on small hatchback or coupe models)

Straight from Google

One of the primary issues reported with the B48 engine is the failure of the timing chain tensioner. This can result in rattling or knocking noises and may eventually lead to engine damage. Regular maintenance and timely replacement of the timing chain tensioner can mitigate this issue.15 Jun 2023 - which means whole engine out

BMW still haven't sorted out their timing chain issues on some of the slightly newer models , this Is why I am assuming when I was searching for 2 series for instance I was seeing a lot of adverts for cars with timing chain done at 60-70k . This is why I was asking for a make and model of car which has decent transmission ( gearbox, clutch, flywheel etc)..

Don't really want to be having to bail out on a repair for potential timing chain failure and clutch failure, along with knocking, traction issues

I can see me looking for another BMW but I'd need to know it's got a good transmission that's not going to let me down and an engine that's not going to let me down .

Some models of audi was looking at, as the major service would be cambelt and waterpump rather than timing chain along with the hope that the transmission would be better on them.than what I have experienced.

And that is your issue.

The other skewing factor is how many genuine failures aren't just caused by neglect, e.g. either not serviced often enough or at all. People picking up premium cars (because they can afford the monthly payment) but then running them on a shoestring budget.

Neglect is not an issue from my part but yes I guess it does happen elsewhere, I have serviced the gearbox oil , clutch/brake fluids. My oil changes are usually within 7-8K miles which is a really good interval. I dont go for budget oils, I get premium.

If I buy another car id do this aswel

Audi A5
1.8 TFSI Black Edition Euro 6 (s/s) 2dr

Not sure if I like white, I prefer black of dark grey on these. Also not sure on the wheels.

But is it worth looking at the 1.8tfsi? Seems to have good mpg for a petrol? Or would a 2.0 be better

Tax is a little higher than what I was looking at , £95 for 6 months.

Auto trader states that diesels cost more to tax but typically I'm finding models.that diesels are cheaper to tax than petrol..

Last edited:
Would the 1.8 tfsi be a decent engine or 2.0?

The problem with me is I'm a hybrid driver. There will be city stints. Some motorway. And I want something that's not just going to be good for short journeys which Is what petrol cars would be good at. But I want the fallback of having something that could do nice longer motorway journeys or If for any reason situation changes and I have to commute further afield probably the TDI would be a better option

Last edited:
Is it me or is there has there been a recent market problem? Searching for cars couple of weeks ago there were quite a few results in the search criteria I was looking for. Today had a quick look. Next to nothing unless you up the price.

Has there been an overall price increase on the second hand market In the last 2 weeks or something ? Or am I just not seeing the results because no one has something to sell

Last edited:
Dealers trying to up the prices, though there has been a number of car dealers go bust of late. Think a lot of them bought too much at too high a price.

I think used prices have stagnated for now.

Ok. I'll keep searching :( not an easy task car hunting .especially when you have mixed emotions about what to get and can't decide

Last edited:
Family member posted this to me

Got to say I'm not really a fan of Volvo's
Thoughts ? I hear they have some engine egr cooling issues

Been looking at some BMW 1 and 2 series. , They don't do the 1 series in coup anymore In later years , 2 series there is a small smattering of but again high miles .

Same with Audi A5, also been looking at Audi TT MK2 sline TDI

Thoughts ? Not many about within my budget though unless I up it

I don't mind increasing abit, TT MK2 or audi A5 worth going for if I can increase budget a little or go for one that's on slightly higher milage than a expected ?.ie 77k as an example.?

What issues do people have with the Audi TT MK2 or MK3 here ?

Forget budget for the moment. What is the real issue people have with the car ? Same with the Audi A5? Coup ?

Iv not owned either but there is a lot of.hate against them, yet I know the TT has been known to be a reliable car..

Last edited:
The MK3 is excellent, but surely not available at under £10k. The MK2 was a good car but it's really just a 2003 Audi A3, so it's just very dated now and not something you'd want to spend significant amounts of money on.

Possibly an extra 1k or 2 over the 10k mark would probably start seeing some mk3s about. By the looks of things

MERCEDES-BENZ C CLASS 220**AMG SPORT PLUS**XENONS-F/R
Silver 74000 Miles

£8995
Are these any good reliability engine and gearbox wise ?

Last edited:
There is point in changing as it's likely the bottom end rod bearings will go on the 1 series at 160k

I'm on 133k.

It's a known problem and no matter how much you service engine it has a good chance of happening . Also timing chain even though iv stuck to 6-8k oil services

What about these then ? 2 series sport and the other m sport although It would be better with a 2.0,

Anyone know if the 1.8s are any good ?

Last edited:
Had a quick Google and couldn't even find reference to this happening on the engine in a 120d, let alone it being a common and "certain" issue

Ok I probably over reacted. And may not be related to the 120d but Iv seen a few 320d have this issue including one of my old cars.

Is there an engine that if you service it frequently enough will reach the 160-200k and onwards ?

Searching in the seat Leon range your still looking at a 2016 ish model with 65k on the clock. For around £9.5-10.5k unless you want a 1.4 model

What is the difference here ? I can't see any decent looking 2.0 litre models ie 2020-2022 models for 10k with warrenty.

Not overly fussed on the hatchback side of it. I think some of the new new ones are alright. But some of the older ones I don't like the shape , If they done a coupe model I'd look

Last edited:
Your talking about the 218 (150) not the 220 (190bhp model)

Also, checked my milage over the past year or two. It could range from 8-9k on one year and another year 10-11k

Isn't the whole diesel Vs petrol discussions usually around cost saving if you do over 12k miles ? I guess then there is the soot and carbon buildup element of diesel

What sort of milage could you get out of say a well maintained petrol engine 220i Vs 220d

or an Leon 2.0 diesel and petrol ? Before they start getting issues ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom