Quick check before I buy...

Associate
Well, it's in - yet to test as it's lunch/Doombar break. I loathe cable management at the best of times - but for the purposes of checking a PSU is taking the **** on such a hot day :/

My brother has recently moved to the other end of the planet, Argyll and Bute area. He's forever sending me picturesque scenes, with the sun blazing away, with otters, seals and the odd blurred pixel which he assures me is a beaver. All in a futile attempt to get me to move over 600 miles. I've always been suspicious that he's become very heavy handed with his use of light filters...

@pastymuncher - is my brother leading me up a very long 650 mile garden path...

Haha its pretty close to where I live, well at least as the crow flies anyway, but round about here it takes ages to get anywhere because of the nature of the roads. It is a glorious part of the world when the sun is out, and to be fair it is often sunny but its rarely that warm :) The islands do have some pretty breathtaking scenery and wildlife considering we are in the lowlands and only a few miles from Glasgow.

Still I would rather that than living in Ingerlund again ;)

Soldato
Made any decisions @Whitebear?

/off topic
Haha its pretty close to where I live, well at least as the crow flies anyway, but round about here it takes ages to get anywhere because of the nature of the roads. It is a glorious part of the world when the sun is out, and to be fair it is often sunny but its rarely that warm :) The islands do have some pretty breathtaking scenery and wildlife considering we are in the lowlands and only a few miles from Glasgow.

He certainly enjoys the slower pace of life and community there - plus, he's a twitcher/hiker/hippie (take your pick) and is absolutely besotted with the diversity of wildlife (seems, unnecessarily mean to call all Scots that though).

I've yet to visit - but will admit it does look idyllic in places. Although, sticking his hand up and then bringing it down covered in midges wasn't his best PR move when he was searching for houses last year.

Oh, and my PSU works - even if it is the size of a duplo brick - Yay!

Associate

/off topic

He certainly enjoys the slower pace of life and community there - plus, he's a twitcher/hiker/hippie (take your pick) and is absolutely besotted with the diversity of wildlife (seems, unnecessarily mean to call all Scots that though).

I've yet to visit - but will admit it does look idyllic in places. Although, sticking his hand up and then bringing it down covered in midges wasn't his best PR move when he was searching for houses last year.

Oh, and my PSU works - even if it is the size of a duplo brick - Yay!

They aren't midges mate, they are barely flies. You need to travel north a bit for actual midges :) They are like bats, with HUGE teeth and a death wish. Our part of Scotland is pretty bad for tourists experiencing midges and we laugh, and the north jus makes us lowlanders look like outlanders and we cry, hard :) Proper beasties up there.

Good to hear, im liking the fact its a bit more dinky as I am purely mid range stuff so I think it will fit my overall build in terms of buying better quality stuff but without being OTT which I can't afford.

Associate
OP

Yep, have placed order and (probably as standard) spent more than I was planning to...

As planned... Ryzen 2600, 16gb RAM, Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro wifi itx motherboard, Core v1 case.

On your advice.... Antec HCG 650W modular 80+ Gold, AOC 24.5" G2590FX 144Hz g-sync/freesync monitor.
Just need to pick up a 1070 from somewhere now.... and not tell the SWMBO how much it ended up costing over the £650 budget :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep, have placed order and (probably as standard) spent more than I was planning to...
Yes, we try our best to leave all new members destitute with new builds specs.
As planned... Ryzen 2600, 16gb RAM, Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro wifi itx motherboard, Core v1 case.

On your advice.... Antec HCG 650W modular 80+ Gold, AOC 24.5" G2590FX 144Hz g-sync/freesync monitor.
Just need to pick up a 1070 from somewhere now....
That's a solid spec for your outlay - it's a shame you haven't got access to the members market on here - but you should still find yourself a 1070/Ti or even a 1080 if your're lucky within your new extended budget.

Either way, once you're fully kitted out you'll have a great gaming/Oculus setup for the money - the SWMBO will especially think so :D.

/Off topic
They aren't midges mate, they are barely flies. You need to travel north a bit for actual midges :) They are like bats, with HUGE teeth and a death wish. Our part of Scotland is pretty bad for tourists experiencing midges and we laugh, and the north jus makes us lowlanders look like outlanders and we cry, hard :) Proper beasties up there.
Thanks - all useful ammunition for staying a Southern Softy.

Plus, he has actual bats in his house! I've been sent several clips of ones flying around his lounge and he woke up once with a 'little fella' lying on his chest (would seriously creep me out). Apparently, you lot up there don't concern yourself with that pesky irritant otherwise known as the rabies virus...

Needles to say, he's got leather gloves now i've informed him that they can be carriers.

Associate
Yes, we try our best to leave all new members destitute with new builds specs.

That's a solid spec for your outlay - it's a shame you haven't got access to the members market on here - but you should still find yourself a 1070/Ti or even a 1080 if your're lucky within your new extended budget.

Either way, once you're fully kitted out you'll have a great gaming/Oculus setup for the money - the SWMBO will especially think so :D.

/Off topic

Thanks - all useful ammunition for staying a Southern Softy.

Plus, he has actual bats in his house! I've been sent several clips of ones flying around his lounge and he woke up once with a 'little fella' lying on his chest (would seriously creep me out). Apparently, you lot up there don't concern yourself with that pesky irritant otherwise known as the rabies virus...

Needles to say, he's got leather gloves now i've informed him that they can be carriers.

This is pretty much the spec I went for in my recent upgrade and it's solid and Im happy with it. 2/3rd of the way to MM for me, can't wait to get access and find all the deals on 9900ks for 50 quid and the like ;)

Rabies? We have survived thousands of years without eating vegetables and frying everything that moves, do you think we are scared of rabies:)

Soldato
2/3rd of the way to MM for me
Get into a petty debate with someone with extreme views in the GD Forum - that will probably get you your extra third in a couple of hours. You may have punched a hole through your screen by the end of the thread, though, which would negate any savings on MM.

Rabies? We have survived thousands of years without eating vegetables and frying everything that moves, do you think we are scared of rabies:)
Are you sure it's not that you're all immune? (The subtle implication being that you're all rabid :D)

See, if this was in GD you would be on 100+ posts in about 60 minutes as some ****stick would have deliberately taken offence and ignored previous banter before this post.

I dare you - make some anti-ingerlund noises down there, and you'll be sure to meet some new interesting members ( :/) and be in the MM in no time. Just mentioning your admiration for the 'none self promoting', introvert Alex Salmond will probably get you there alone...

Associate
Get into a petty debate with someone with extreme views in the GD Forum - that will probably get you your extra third in a couple of hours. You may have punched a hole through your screen by the end of the thread, though, which would negate any savings on MM.

Are you sure it's not that you're all immune? (The subtle implication being that you're all rabid :D)

See, if this was in GD you would be on 100+ posts in about 60 minutes as some ****stick would have deliberately taken offence and ignored previous banter before this post.

I dare you - make some anti-ingerlund noises down there, and you'll be sure to meet some new interesting members ( :/) and be in the MM in no time. Just mentioning your admiration for the 'none self promoting', introvert Alex Salmond will probably get you there alone...

I dont have twitter/facebook for this very reason as I get so angry after about 30 seconds and then get even more angry myself for getting angry at absolute morons! It's not worth it for the sake of my mental health :)

Haha, not even SNP supporters ever really liked Alex Salmond, he was just the pantomime villan they needed at the time to get on the telly because even though they have huge popular support the MSM just flat out refused to treat as anything other than the spiritual successors to the monster raving loony party. And to be fair given the wretched hive of scum and villainy that is the Houses of Parliament he is pretty mediocre when it comes to the scumbag stakes these days! But yeah if he was made from chocolate he would eat himself.

Soldato
I dont have twitter/facebook for this very reason as I get so angry after about 30 seconds and then get even more angry myself for getting angry at absolute morons!
Amen to that!

This is my only 'lyrical' digial footprint - and that's usually non-committal, anecdotal banter while distracting myself from work; helping forum members.

Haha, not even SNP supporters ever really liked Alex Salmond, he was just the pantomime villan they needed at the time to get on the telly because even though they have huge popular support the MSM just flat out refused to treat as anything other than the spiritual successors to the monster raving loony party. And to be fair given the wretched hive of scum and villainy that is the Houses of Parliament he is pretty mediocre when it comes to the scumbag stakes these days! But yeah if he was made from chocolate he would eat himself.
Trust me - you're not wrong.

They're all duplicitous ***** (the bad four letter one) with self promoting agendas and change their opinions depending on the direction of the media wind. They're like talking to a self-absorbed teenager whose pretending to listen but is really thinking about whether their last selfie got enough likes :/ And as for the ******s (work that one out) that spin around them... Lets just say i'm still friendly with my old uni mate who became a criminal defence barrister (the debauched b*st*rd that he is) and have repressed the yearning to utilise my dremel on his extremities, listening to his 'none' ethical shenanigans (no matter how he spins it). Yet, i would take a tree chipper, on it's slowest setting, to the aforementioned maniacal sycophants given half a chance (this makes me sound like some political animal in the know - i'm really, REALLY not - i've just been unfortunate to have had to cross paths/swords with one of these idiots very recently and their 'pink crayon for brained' staff).

F'em!

And perhaps you should avoid GD on further reflection...

Associate
Amen to that!

This is my only 'lyrical' digial footprint - and that's usually non-committal, anecdotal banter while distracting myself from work; helping forum members.

Trust me - you're not wrong.

They're all duplicitous ***** (the bad four letter one) with self promoting agendas and change their opinions depending on the direction of the media wind. They're like talking to a self-absorbed teenager whose pretending to listen but is really thinking about whether their last selfie got enough likes :/ And as for the ******s (work that one out) that spin around them... Lets just say i'm still friendly with my old uni mate who became a criminal defence barrister (the debauched b*st*rd that he is) and have repressed the yearning to utilise my dremel on his extremities, listening to his 'none' ethical shenanigans (no matter how he spins it). Yet, i would take a tree chipper, on it's slowest setting, to the aforementioned maniacal sycophants given half a chance (this makes me sound like some political animal in the know - i'm really, REALLY not - i've just been unfortunate to have had to cross paths/swords with one of these idiots very recently and their 'pink crayon for brained' staff).

F'em!

And perhaps you should avoid GD on further reflection...

Well I made the mistake of posting in a thread in GD in response to one specific message which was outrageous. I then went through the rest of the thread and promptly deleted my message in the space on 90 seconds because I could just see what was about to come my way, and I just couldn't be bothered with interacting with the absolute cretins that were posting. It really is amazing what crap people will post on the internet from the safety of their keyboard without the slighest thought for just how astronomically stupid they are. Lesson learned, I'll stick to posting about PSUs and cases, much safer route to MM for me I think :)

Associate
OP
So, having been scammed when buying the 1070 (lesson learned) looking at cheaper 580... Any thoughts how they fair with VR and gaming in general? Or should I look to fork out more and buy new? :(

Associate
OP
Most things have arrived, just waiting on a graphics card to turn up tomorrow (since I got scammed on the 1070 I have gone for a RX580 to get started and save some pennies until ready to upgrade)
Case perfectly fits where I need it too, either in the Kallax shelving units, or in the livingroom for some VR action. Cheap DVD drive for reminiscing with those old PC games I have tucked away (C&C Red Alert, Rome, Cesar, Sims, Final Fantasy 7)

Hopefully this image works!
DeEI6Hm.jpg

edit: tagging @orbitalwalsh as have read he appreciates pictures of spec me threads!
DeEI6Hm

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Only slight disappointment was the screen. Colours are pretty washed out and is way too bright. Can't get blacks to appear as anything close to 'black'.

Soldato
Only slight disappointment was the screen. Colours are pretty washed out and is way too bright. Can't get blacks to appear as anything close to 'black'.
Guessing it's a TN panel? Semi washed out colours and small viewing angles are the the price you pay for high refresh rates on a budget, unfortunately.

You could have gone VA (great blacks/contrast) but lots of users dislike the blurring due to slower response. IPS is the sweetspot - but these usually come at a price premium.

I'm not a gaming panel user/expert - i exclusively use 27" DELL Utrhsarps (IPS) for my work (only 60HZ - but one is clocked to 75Hz). I find them fine for casual gaming/purposes - but most enthusiastic gamers would very much disagree. And there is a marked difference when playing fast FPS on high refreshed/synced monitors - you will appreciate the tech.

Once you're absorbed in a game - you won't notice.

Associate
If you're not happy definitely send it back, I know exactly what you mean when you say washed out.

I had to go through a fair few to get a decent one, but the difference is night and day and it will only play on your mind over time..

**edit, have you played around with recommended settings online?

Associate
OP
If you're not happy definitely send it back, I know exactly what you mean when you say washed out.

I had to go through a fair few to get a decent one, but the difference is night and day and it will only play on your mind over time..

**edit, have you played around with recommended settings online?

@Webzta - Seen a variety of settings 'recommended' - do you have any you'd suggest?
@Plec - not sure what to look for to determine whether it's a 'panel error'.... any tips?

Back
Top Bottom