Quick Question About New Vista Installation!

Soldato
ok guys i should be receiving my conroe upgrade today, but as i have just burned a copy of vista i installed it on my hard drive just to see what it's like!

Now what i'm wandering is as i haven't installed any motherboard chipset drivers or drivers in general, would i be able to do a straight swap with my conroe hardware and carry on using the same hard drive with vista on it? or would i need to re-formatt my hard drive and install vista again with my intel hardware?

Caporegime
more than likely not.

I've done a motherboard upgrade, where its been on the same socket, using all the old hardware etc. and it reboots when loading windows.

It might load, but it'll most likely be slow/crashing a lot etc.

just reformat

Soldato
there is a very high chance it will work fine.

ive changed from amd to intel without a clean install and it worked all fine.

on the other hand its good to have a clean install on new major hardware changes though.

Soldato
OP
kk i'l give it a go first off :) the reason i asked is because as no amd drivers are installed as of yet how does it make a difference what cpu and motherboard did the windows installation?

Soldato
OP
ok guys just installed vista with my conroe setup, and tried installing the motherboard drivers on the disk but i can't access it because the os isn't supported and it just exits the driver setup? would i be ok to run without the motherboard drivers or should i just go back to xp?

Soldato
check device manager and see if everything is installed. (i/e no unknown devices), if it is its all good.

besides the manufacturer should have updated drivers on the download page.

Soldato
OP
hehe the keyword in that sentence is "SHOULD" they haven't updated them at all which sucks a tad lol, upon start up i get no new hardware findings at all but then i'm just a little worried that it won't have picked up everything and parts won't work lol! also a few bits that i want off the cd like the asus update utility

Caporegime
Ok, things like usb ports etc etc, 9 times out of 10 will install automatically, it was usually things like network ports needing extra drivers. BUT i should imagine Vista would have drivers for all of these anyway. its the Chipset driver that you should always install...

Caporegime
some pc's will run fine without upto date chipset drivers,

some will APPEAR to run fine, like my mates, his appeared to be fine, nothing missing in device manager, took him 20mins to load bf2 though...

Soldato
OP
ahh kk excellent, think what i'l do then is update bios then install vista again and see how i go, may be able to run the compatability wizard on the disk to get the drivers :) thanks all love to you guys

Soldato
OP
Ok folks solved this issue without using the compatability wizard as this didn't work! all i did was copied the files from the disk to my desktop then i used the setup within the folders to install the desired file and hey presto it worked :D

Back
Top Bottom