Quick Question on RAID 0

Associate
I'm just looking at the instructions on the CD that came with my motherboard on how to create a RAID 0 arrangement. It says please use two New drives of the same make/capacity.
Okay well I have just ordered and identical drive to the one I have, but this one I have installed windows on, had files on, It's been used basically. Does this mean that I cannot create a RAID 0 setup now that it's not technically new :confused:

Man of Honour
I think the RAID 0 array will need a fresh format before being created. Doing this will effectively 'renew' your current HD.

Back up all of your important data and reformat. It's the safest and quickest way, will prevent any heartache at a later date and is probably needed by the average system, anyway.

Man of Honour
You don't need to format the drive before creating the array but the process of creating it will destroy any data which is already on the drive. As a result you will need to reinstall windows, you won't be able to simply migrate from what you have now to RAID0.

Associate
OP
Yes, I knew this already. Just wanted to check that I could still create a RAID array after using one of the drives. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom