Quit Job...... Need advice.

Soldato
I worked in a call centre from Oct 2004 and This was the first job I've ever had. When I left school at the age of 16, I spent a yr doing my NVQ level 2 in Business Administration. Anyway, the call centre job has got me really down within the last 3-4 months and I was at a stage of depression, maybe too much stress? Who knows?

One thing that [WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE] me off was......A few weeks ago everyone was off for bank holiday monday. I was due to work that saturday after, so I was looking forward to seeing when my day off during the week was (this is standard procedure with the company I worked for). When I returned to work, I found out that I was working 5 days in a row and I didn't get a day off. I went up to speak to the manager and he told me that unforunately, I was one of the unlucky people that this has happened too. he told me that I would not be getting a day off as my day off was actually the bank holiday. It just fell like that and there was nothing I could do about it. I myself have always been a quiet person and quite shy so I just wandered back to my desk with this ticking over in my head and said to myself, there is noway that this is right.

Last Monday, I got assigned a new team leader. I thought everything was going to be great. Monday was a really busy day with loads of calls queuing so I said to myself, hmmmm I know what will clear the queues. So I took some complaints and passed a total of 8 order calls through to the dedicated order line (what was no busy). I looked and there were no calls waiting.

My new team leader called me over for a briefing on tuesday and asked me what my activity was on mon, I said that I did not know what she was talking about. She told me that she had monitored me and I had hung up on a total of 8 calls. I told her that this was not true and I admitted that I did requeue some calls. She asked me if I was calling her a liar. Now obviously, it musta seemed like I had hung up on the calls because when you are being monitored, you can only monitor incoming calls. Now if I put a call on hold and passed it thru to another line then the line would have went dead. I admitted that I requeued the calls and I did not hang up and she told me that I will have a meeting with HR to discuss what will happen to me because of this. Now I didn't know what to do as I was on a final written warning for being off for a week before Xmas because I had the flu. I said to myself, crap.....this will be me getting the boot. there is no way they can just let me go with a slap on the wrist. I have been unhappy in this job for several months, so I decided that instead of me getting the sack (this would look bad for future jobs). That I would quit instead. So I went in on thursday and handed my resignation letter in. I decided to not work my notice as I could not stick it (bad mistake, I know).

Now apparently, the company I worked for does not give references. My big question is.....Wtf do I do now with my life? No money coming in, no job. I know in the back of my mind that I have done the right thing but I went the wrong way about it.

I have not seen any jobs advertised. on friday I worked on my CV which needed updating badly.

I was just wondering if anyone has signed up with recruitment agencies and if so, what did you think of them? This seems to be the only way that I will be able to get a job.

P.S. Sorry for the amount of text.

Suspended
I've worked for one of those horrible companies before, they are usually run by mentally subnormal morons who by a streak of luck got successful - rise above them.

Temp agencies are great, especially the admin based ones that can get you into valued work. I've doubled my salary from 2 years ago with their help :)

Soldato
OP
MasterMike said:
What do you enjoy doing? Could you go back to college to get some more qualifications?

To tell you the truth, I spent a yr doing my NVQ on 40 quid a week and it killed me and that was only when i was 16. I am 18 now and I need to make decent money.

edit. I enjoy doing admin work.

Last edited:
Soldato
You shouldn't have too much trouble finding an admin type job in a city, pop along to a few agencies and see what they've got going. Perhaps even try the Job Centre? I tried it as a last resort 18 months ago and found the job I'm doing now (IT Support/Deployment) which I really enjoy.

Soldato
OP
yeah, I was on the jobcentre website and applied for a job through an agency and received this email on friday:

Hi David

Thank you for your CV it is much appreciated. Could you contact this office to discuss this further.

I have decided to ring them tomorrow to make an appointment.

Suspended
buckeejit said:
yeah, I was on the jobcentre website and applied for a job through an agency and received this email on friday:

Hi David

Thank you for your CV it is much appreciated. Could you contact this office to discuss this further.

I have decided to ring them tomorrow to make an appointment.

Did you copy and paste that? If so, their punctuation is awful and I'd think twice about applying... You may find its the same class of "lucky moron" as found in the Job Centre. You just dont send official emails out looking like that!

Associate
VeNT said:
iirc THEY HAVE TO GIVE A REFERENCE no matter what
they have to atleast say how your attendance was etc

No they can refuse. They aren't supposed to give bad references due to possible legal issues.

Soldato
Joobs said:
No they can refuse. They aren't supposed to give bad references due to possible legal issues.

you sure?
I know tescos said they didn't but when I asked my next employer they said that they had to

Associate
The law on references is a bit of a minefield tbh but there's an overview at http://www.lemon-co.co.uk/references-the-law.htm

I still don't think they have to either though.

[edit]
The legal position is that, although the employer has to take care if they write a reference, there is no legal duty to provide a reference for employees or ex-employees in the first place. In normal circumstances, an employer can simply refuse to write a reference altogether.
[/edit]

S

Soldato
surley the police would go for someone with more experience rather than somebody who has worked in a call centre, no offence.

Back
Top Bottom