Quitting or changes hobbies

Soldato
unless you're going to recover big money from selling everything up i'd want to just store it for at least a few years in case you really get a hankering for it again.

We had our daughter a couple of months ago (our first) so i've not had much time for any hobbies since then so it'll be interesting to see how it all goes over the next few years, i play guitar and have still managed some time for that but not sure how PC gaming, mountain biking or tinkering with cars in the garage will fare! Even so i'm going to keep my bike and various cars stored away for it/when i have the time in the future to play again.

Soldato
This was me with competitive paintball. Couldn't do training every Sunday and cases of paint once life got serious. Gaming is nice and flexible so it fits around family life.

Caporegime
The three hobbies I have always had, scale modelling, guitar and playing pool, I would still be doing if I could. Unfortunately, I have had to stop playing guitar and pool due to ill health, but I am still scale modelling and probably always will. That was touch and go for a while when I had a cataract, but that got sorted.

I find modelling a lovely hobby. It’s not too expensive (it can be if you want it to be, there’s plenty of products), it’s relaxing, there’s loads to learn and when you get good at it, you’ve got a lovely model to keep, sell or give away. Also, in the UK, it’s nice to have a hobby that’s not weather dependent. Indeed, the worse the weather, the more I seem to get done.

Associate
I love my hobbies but I go through phases. I would agree that life and circumstances play a huge part. I would advocate as many posters have said; try not to sell your collection. I look back at stuff I have eBayed or given away, then I search eBay and rage!

For me my hobbies are a bit random, illustration is one. When I do focus and sit down to draw, like Rob mentions above with scale modelling, it is a hobby which is not weather dependent (cheap!) and I can while away the hours drawing in a sketch book or on the PC; both of which is hugely gratifying. I also like collecting/restoring retro seventies/eighties toys (e.g. vintage Star Wars, RC, Slot Cars). The other hobby of late is tinkering with retro PC gaming but rained this in as half the stuff I bought last year packed up! :D

Whilst I know that I can always recoup the outlay (retro PC aside) - only the amount of times I have rued selling items and then wistfully regretted the decision years on! I am sure there will be a day when you fancy digging your RC out again so don't do anything rash! :)

Soldato
I gave up skateboarding after 15years for football, then after a few years of football started golf. After all that I dont do any of them anymore just family time and PC gaming.

Soldato
I was hugely into motorbikes when I was younger, and that lasted for about 20 years, up to and including building hardtail chops. After that, PC gaming online (flight sims and car racing) and although I still have all the gear, I hardly ever turn my gaming PC on any more. I buy games, download then, and don't even play them :(
Life, marriage, and illness got in the way and even though I do still have hobbies, I find it difficult to get find much enthusiasm for anything long term anymore.

Soldato
Over the years I've tryed my hand at many different hobbies. Over the years I have given up on some after a lot of time and investment, some I have put on the back burner for 4-5 years before coming back to it with renewed enthusiasm and there is also some that I've stuck with since I was a teen like MTB for example, which i've been doing for over 2 decades.
Its good that you have hobbies but theres no reason to feel pressurised into having to do it all the time, keep your kit, when the time allows pull it out and use it, you dont have to keep with the competitive side surely if its becoming a financial and time drain that you cannot afford.
A hobby should never be a burden, it should be something you enjoy and gladly make time for (or do when the time is available), otherwise whats the point?

Back
Top Bottom