Quote from another thread "GD does correlate with autism "

Caporegime
Careful you don't upset any religious types, doing that. You might want to consider shouting at the cheese in supermarkets instead...

Actually round my way we hold cheese in quite high regard, some varieties are holy! So please don’t do that either...

Associate
It's certainly consistent (especially re: the triad of impairment)
I guess it depends on what sort of definition is applicable. I'll agree that these are certainly a consistent and concise way of classifying the symptoms, and can be used to distinguish cases.

'cancer' is an umbrella term for a myriad unrelated diseases with the same progression and outcome - and so 'cancer' isn't an illness either.
Change Autism for cancer in that sentence and it still works

I disagree with this comparison, at least to some degree.
From what I've understood about cancer, although it is a number of different forms of it, they are primarily all rooted in something quite specific, which is the mutation of cells due to failing in cellular replication. From what I understand, all cancers are like this, just in different cells or mutate in different ways. Although there are many causal factors which exacerbate cancer which differ, the main issue is always the replication. If by some genome editing magic (for the sake of argument) there was some means though which you could stop cells making bad copies of themselves, all cancers would be cured. I also think that (although I'm less sure about this) that there are treatments for cancer which work on all kinds of cancer, such as kemo.
Still though (back on the topic at hand) I think that most of this just comes down to that neuroscience has a long way to go. Every time I read about AI it fills me with a renewed appreciation for our brains, they really are something special.

I agree, but again that goes for a lot of conditions doesn't it? It basically applies to every condition/illness/disease for which we don't have a 'cure' - which is most of them.
That's the thing, I think many things have a half cure, (that sounds silly but I hope it makes sense?) for Autism at least, I can't really see anyway to help these people other than making them feel accepted and helping them to live in a way which they are happy with. I mean maybe it's not something that it's even concise to say needs a cure, but I still hope there is a future where it's a choice for those affected.

Soldato
for Autism at least, I can't really see anyway to help these people other than making them feel accepted and helping them to live in a way which they are happy with. I mean maybe it's not something that it's even concise to say needs a cure, but I still hope there is a future where it's a choice for those affected.

I wrote out and deleted several variations of a reply to this, but decided against it in the end. As a rule, 'these people' (myself included) are quite happy without a 'cure' as Autism has its benefits too. Given its nature I doubt a 'cure' is even achievable. You can't 'cure' Downs Syndrome either. It's baked in, so to speak.

Associate
As a rule, 'these people' (myself included) are quite happy without a 'cure' as Autism has its benefits too.

I honestly didn't mean to offend, I have a family member that's affected too, and not in the high preforming manner that I assume is your state of being. That's also why I think that, for some people, they would like to at least have the choice to live without it.

That said, he's a super chill guy, and seems comfortable in his skin in general, so I donno, but agree at least that our own Eudaimonia is what's most important at the end of the day.

Associate
Having two autistic kids, both at different ends of the spectrum, I find online tests to determine this to be quite hilarious. It takes a lot of surveillance to assess and in some cases is still not clear cut. E.g. a lot of people I know have 'autistic traits' but doesn't mean they have full blown autism.

Caporegime
I wouldn't expect to find Autistic people at either a theater or a museum... So am already pritty suspicious that this is a troll.
Half of the questions had no answer I was aligned to.

"Would I prefer to going to the theatre or the museum?" Depends what was playing in the theatre; what the museum was exhibiting; how recently I'd been to either (I haven't been to either kind in years). "Would I prefer going to the Library or a party?" What is this, 1980? :p Li-brah-what?

BS questions were BS (as always).

Soldato
OP
Half of the questions had no answer I was aligned to.

"Would I prefer to going to the theatre or the museum?" Depends what was playing in the theatre; what the museum was exhibiting; how recently I'd been to either (I haven't been to either kind in years). "Would I prefer going to the Library or a party?" What is this, 1980? :p Li-brah-what?

BS questions were BS (as always).

Getting hung up on the test because of over-thinking the answers is a pretty definitive diagnosis TBH! ;)

:D :D

Caporegime
Getting hung up on the test because of over-thinking the answers is a pretty definitive diagnosis TBH! ;)

:D :D
A test is only accurate if the questions are appropriate.

If I design a test to check your maths skills, and my questions are about Eastenders villains, it's going to be a **** maths test.

This isn't "getting hung up" about something non-critical.

The questions are the most critical part of the test!

In fairness to myself I very much doubt any doctor would ever refer you to one of these online tests, nor take their answers at all seriously.

Caporegime
I got 31, the fact that i might be autistic isn't really news to me. Finding out wouldn't help me so i don't see any point in investigating it further
Well you and I got the same score, but I sincerely doubt the test is a good indication of anything.

For one I don't consider myself to have any condition that prevents me doing anything I want to, so if I were to be classed as "autistic" it really wouldn't mean anything.

I think sometimes it's a trendy label amongst some; an excuse amongst others - unless you are really, properly autistic at the end of the scale where it affects you in drastic ways impacting negatively on your quality of life. Those people should really have the "autistic" diagnosis to themselves, rather than diluting it by including people who are just good at maths and a bit OCD.

For two - what about genuinely anti-social people that don't have any kind of condition? These terrible tests would label such a person autistic - I'm almost certain of that. I tend to look at the intent of the questions as I'm answering them, and many of them are trying to determine if you're a quiet, reclusive person, with interests that don't include other people. They obviously consider those autistic traits, but I'm sure there are many non-autistic people with those behaviours also.

Soldato
Well you and I got the same score, but I sincerely doubt the test is a good indication of anything.

For one I don't consider myself to have any condition that prevents me doing anything I want to, so if I were to be classed as "autistic" it really wouldn't mean anything.
Same, although i'm probably less inclined than most to take part in some social activities, so while it would be incorrect to say I'm unable to do certain things there is an argument that having autistic traits could affect my willingness to take part in certain things.

For two - what about genuinely anti-social people that don't have any kind of condition? These terrible tests would label such a person autistic - I'm almost certain of that. I tend to look at the intent of the questions as I'm answering them, and many of them are trying to determine if you're a quiet, reclusive person, with interests that don't include other people. They obviously consider those autistic traits, but I'm sure there are many non-autistic people with those behaviours also.

I think that's what the score threshold is meant to weed out. I've reviewed the questions and it seems around 1/3 directly relate to social scenarios. I don't know exactly how the scoring works but a person who is 'just' antisocial may not meet this threshold. I believe we are meant to be social creatures to some extent, so this may justify the nature of some of the questions.

There are large disclaimers with these things so i guess it can all be taken with a pinch of salt...

Back
Top Bottom