Quote me a Air Rifle

Soldato
need an air rifle to take care of some bunnys/magpies that are playing havoc with our garden (we're out in the middle of no-where), I've used air rifles before but not for a while and don't realy want to spend too much as I'm probably not going to use them much after getting rid of the magpies.

so guys, any ideas where to buy/how much to spend?

Soldato
OP
yeah?
I'll have a look but tbh I'd rather be able to do it myself, is there any other stuff you need with the rifle?
like a box to keep it in or somthing?

Soldato
OP
Feek said:
Can you 99% guarantee to single shot kill these animals?

If not, don't even think about doing it yourself.

K.

tbh, I am planning on doing some target work first to check I can still aim, and yeah used to do shooting with a m8 who owned a farm and I was good, we're not talking long range here or anything.

Soldato
OP
tbh, the bunnys arn't as much of an issue as the magpies as they are getting evil, being quite violent and taking the mail out of our post box for some reason.

(Before you ask, we caught em at it, bleeding birds)

Soldato
OP
Mat said:
Have you tried a replica, plastic raven or something to stop the Magpies? I've seen them work in other places... might be a cheap starter option. Maybe one of those fake cats with the freaky reflective eyes for the garden too for the rabbits?

rabbits apear fearless in the face of plastic cats, and I'll have a look at the raven idea, is that with T2 launchers or T1?

Soldato
OP
^TANK^ said:
I have an air and arms pro elite .177 at 12 ft lbs, bsa super ten .177 at 12 ft lbs and a FAC daystate x2 prestige .22 at 35ft lbs. A maximum of 30 yards with a .177 at 12ft of lbs and further with a 35ft lbs.I would not recomend a springer as its best to get at least two rounds in the rabbits head precharge Pneumatic all the way. ;)

how much did those cost?

Soldato
OP
lucasade1 said:
I got mine from an independent seller, spent around £75 on it in total what with cleaning kits etc.

Make sure you using nice pointed pellets when shooting the likes of rabbits. I can recommend the .22 marksman pointed pellets which I use.

Marksman.jpg

Here's a pic of mine (it's around 11ft lbs I think) which can take pigeons/rabbits out at quite a range.

104_0437.jpg

where abouts?

Soldato
OP
lucasade1 said:
Stamford, Lincolnshire.

Quite a way for you to travel for an Air Rifle. I'm sure there are plenty of nice gun shops around the Cornwall area :)

from what I've seen, not that meny.

anyone know of one down here?
I think tragos sells em but tbh, its a health risk buying ANYTHING there, never mind a gun

Soldato
OP
Feek said:
I hate threads like this which end up in 'my gun's better than yours' type rubbish.

/me clicks unsubscribe and backs out.

K.

kinda sad realy, your one of the ones whos opinion I respect here, I'm ignoring those who are saying "oh you need this 800 quid jobbie" or "gah that 800 quid one is pants, go for this 800 quid one"

Soldato
OP
lucasade1 said:
Without knowing the size of VeNT's garden, 30 yards is more than enough distance for getting a clean kill in his garden I would have thought????

totaly, the distance I'm gonna be working from is SUB 20ft I'd say at MAX

Soldato
OP
AthlonTom said:
Not really wanting to get involved as the threa has kind of degenerated since my last post. But you will need different types of pellet for english and german guns.

5.56 mm vs 5.5 mm

does 0.06mm make that much difference in pellets? iirc they are mostly lead and soft

Soldato
OP
zenith10 said:
falcons are nice ive shot one before but the loading bolt felt flimsy, if you want a rifle brand new sub 500 then look no further than an air arms s400 which is only 300 new

I guess people have stopped reading this thread all the way though and are insted just going to read the last 2-3 posts made

let me instill this apon you, I AM NOT GOING TO SPEND ANYTHING MORE THAN £150 EVER ON THIS SO DON'T TELL ME THAT I SHOULD SPEND MORE!
ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN

ElvisFan said:
Hark these words, for they are 100% spot on.

Every s400 (in the right hands) is capable of winning the world field target championship. An infinite number of SMK "rifles" would never produce ONE that could win a local winter league match.

zenith10: Do you by any chance shoot one of Nick Murphy's wonderful creations? :)

good thing I'M NOT TRYING TO WIN ANY MATCHES!

I just want to know what to look for in a Air Rifle to shoot some magpies that have been causing issues, maybe some bunnys too.
want to know what kind of things to look for in a braker type rifle (the ones that split I guess are the ones that I will be able to afford)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
ElvisFan said:
Calm down dear,

It's only a commercial!

well if you guys read the thread rather than just diving in with "oh you need this £800 AWM that can kill a 5p at 2 miles and is the only way you'll win anything" when I'm talking about hitting some of the fattest magpies I've ever SEEN at about 10-20 FT away, I think that I have the right to try and un-de-rail my thread!

Back
Top Bottom