R/C Planes

Man of Honour
does anyone know where I can get a ducted electric fan jet motor. Loads of kits have them. You must be able to buy them on there own.

Man of Honour
Thanks. know anything about power and battery.

Say I wanted to run 4 which need
14.8V @ 50A (each) for 20mins How many mAh would I need?

Associate
Well that is a can of worms, are you doing brushed or brushless motors?

Also having 4 means 4x as much things to go wrong. Normally you only need one to get the thing in the air.

What are you planning? Lead Ballon?

Man of Honour
Well that is a can of worms, are you doing brushed or brushless motors?

Also having 4 means 4x as much things to go wrong. Normally you only need one to get the thing in the air.

What are you planning? Lead Ballon?

A reasonably large flying wing. It's something I designed when I was like 8. But have never had the money to build.
Brushless

Caporegime
To the op, if you are going to use LiPo batteries make sure you know how to handle them.
They can go up in flames if damaged or incorrectley charged. There have been a few reports of people driving home after a days flying and the batteries have set on fire in the boot.
Do some reading before you use them.

Check out the vid in the link.

www.hyperflight.co.uk/products.asp?code=LS1

Indeed, any type of battery is dangerous when not cared for but LiPos are deadly and can cause some serious damage. Never leave them in your car, never overcharge, never charge at high thaner rated amps, if you drop them and split the case they have to be thrown and make sure they're stored in a hard case and charged in a proper charging pouch.

Associate
Yup LiPo's are inherantly dangerous!

I have 6 of them and a expensive balance charger. Also all my ESC's have programmable cutoff. Go below their threshold and you have a duff cell. Short circuit them and you have an explosion and fire!

If you are looking to have 4 motors, you are asking for a pile of technical trouble and expense if you go with lipos. The amount of power you will need using nicads will make the craft too heavy!

What size are we talking here?

Associate
These Ikaras look quite cool, and cheap..

I'm guessing you need to buy a lot more for it though, what does the basic package come with ?

You need TX, RX, battery, esc ? Does it just come with the servos ?

And it seems you need the power kit ? prop, motor etc, as an extra....

Not so cheap anymore,

also, do you put on different motors etc, more powerful ones im guessing ?

Associate
Yo get some printed foam, bits of balse, a small roll of sellotape and some glue.

Add (appox):

lipo battery: £25
Decent balance charger: £60
ESC: £15
Mini RX: £20
3 Mini servos: £20
TX: £120
Prop: £3
Prop saver: £2

Thats about all.

The plane is cheap, because you will eventually destroy it, or if will fall apart.

Associate
Thx for reply Pinter,

£120 for tx :O - do you really need to spend that much ?

and do you mean build the plane you self ? Won't that take some skill with buildin, measuring things etc, specailly with model planes.

Soldato
I used to fly r/c planes a while ago. I started by building a Precedent Hi Boy. Was a really simple kit to build, everything was pre cut, and you basically just pieced it together and glued it just like a big airfix kit i guess. Did require a bit of fine tuning however was really satisfying when it was finished. Was pretty cheap as well as its a fairly old kit. I basically bought all the different bits myself and gradually built the kit up. Was probably a lot cheaper doing it like this too.

This was pretty good because it allowed me to learn about everything along the way, and understand it all.

Definetly join a club if you intend to fly properly. they will guide you through the whole process, and teach you to fly properly and safely.

Its a great fun hobby, i just grew out of it in the end. Still have a huge half built spitfire kit at home, would love to finish it as it would be awesome to fly and probably really quick. Maybe one day.

Associate
I have a Futaba FF7 Super, it is a computer TX, and has a ton of customisation. You can always just get a cheap 2nd hand one off the bay.

You can always make your own planes too. This is one I designed and made out of depron foam sheet. The paint work is actually permement marker pen :)

Cost about a fiver.

It uses a lipo powered brusless motor, and is a right laugh to fly. It goes like a rocket and does amax=zing sharp stunts. I have the plans here somewhere if I remeber where. I did it in CorelDraw.

Man of Honour
can anyone describe how elevons are set up. how do they acheive both. Or point me in the right direction.

found this page http://rcvehicles.about.com/od/diyaircraft/Build_Your_Own_RC_Aircraft.htm

And I'm hapy with most things.

And looking at the size of some of teh ducted fan models. there's one f14 that weighs just over 1kilo. And has two ducted fans. i'm assuming they will have a max thrust of around 1000g each. these seem to be the biggest I can find,

Last edited:
Associate
can anyone describe how elevons are set up. how do they acheive both. Or point me in the right direction.

Watch my video above those are Elevons, or flaperons. You will need a TX that can channel mix (hence £120 for the FF7). It negates the need for airlons and elevator as the 2 surfaces act as both of these.

In the video I tied 2 sets together for extremer manouverability.

Man of Honour
Watch my video above those are Elevons, or flaperons. You will need a TX that can channel mix (hence £120 for the FF7). It negates the need for airlons and elevator as the 2 surfaces act as both of these.

In the video I tied 2 sets together for extremer manouverability.

Cool, so is there any cheaper ones that could do it, something like this?
http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/spektrum.html
it does say delta wing mixing.

Although I have got some old stuff somewhere. But never heard of mixing before and it's 15 years old, so i doubt it can do it.
So do you have one servo for each elevons and then the TX mixes the channels to get the required results?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Love the Ikarus shock flyer, here is my 'no-brand' one... it's pretty much grounded as it's taken so many hard crashes that glue is making it way to nose heavy. Lucky the complete body precut is only £25, and I could just buy some sheet to remake it.

Forgotten exactly what is fitted...

Brushless Motor / ESC
Spektrum DSM radio gear
3 * Hitek Servos
3 * LiPos (cant remember exact size)
Balance charger

heli2.jpg

Heli's

heli1.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Cool, so is there any cheaper ones that could do it, something like this?
http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/spektrum.html
it does say delta wing mixing.

Although I have got some old stuff somewhere. But never heard of mixing before and it's 15 years old, so i doubt it can do it.
So do you have one servo for each elevons and then the TX mixes the channels to get the required results?

Spektrum DX6i can deffo do it, used to use it on my EDF Rafale, but not heard about the DX5 in that link though it mentions 'Delta wing mixing' so I'd say yeah :).

Your right there is 1 servo for each elevon, and the Tx does all the mixing...

Back
Top Bottom