• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

r5 1600x high temps

Associate
OK im a little worried about my thermals on my r5

i know things are against me its a very small case (node 202) and a i have a cryorig c7 cooler (biggest i can fit in the case) but my idles are 49-55c when browsing the web etc. in gaming its 80/85c (980ti in the case too) the case gets hot but the 980ti only hits 80c in demanding games @4k res too. i have used good thermal paste and have fitted many cpu coolers over the years so am a little hesitant to think its my thermal past application. its totally stock any ideas?

Associate
Install ryzen master and that ll tell you the real cpu temp.
Not all motherboards have taken the 20c offset off that amd use on the x series cpus.

Caporegime
With that much GPU and CPU power in such a tiny case you're not doing bad with those temps, try to better your air flow if you can, in a case that small the air inside can heat up very quickly, especially with a 250 watt GPU in it.

Associate
OP
ok so just tested with ryzen master, 50c idle (thats the bit i dont really like) and just played gta5 for an hour and settled at 75c (given the case and gpu in such a small space as its not an exhaust gpu) im ok with the gaming temps just not the idle. i was debating getting a reference cooler for the gpu to exhaust that heat. i have 2x 120mm fans blowing directly onto the gpu and creating a positive pressure.

was thinking of trying to fine some really small fans to put on the grill to exhaust near the cpu. or even some how trying to shoe horn in a 120mm aio on the cpu

Associate
OP
YcgZ3OE.jpg
7esN9b3.jpg
This is the space i have without cpu fitted (its all very tight)

The chamber for the mobo actually has no fan just a grill above and beside the cpu section. I feel it could do with some forced cooling in that chamber really

Permabanned
I doubt you'll be able to shoehorn in a aio, not with the length of that beasty graphics card. Is that the best cpu cooler you can fit in that space? Seen some pics with a noctua fan for the cpu.

4.JPG

Permabanned
that cpu cooler is half the size and 30 tdp lower
Then you are thermally limited. Have you tried under volting your cpu at all or perhaps trying a custom fan curve. Maybe worth doing the same with your gpu or even perhaps replacing it for a cooler running pascal card.

Have you tried reversing the 2 fans near the gpu to help remove heat from the hottest component in your build? Maybe have smaller one's bringing in fresh air from near the cpu.

Soldato
The R5 1600X has a 20C offset in place.

Use hwinfo64 sofware and look at what the tdie temperature is. That is the real temperature.

Last edited:
Soldato
Even with the offset, with the Spire cooler I noticed the 1600X reaching 80c when my GPU was being stressed too, and that's with a larger S340 case. That cooler doesn't look like it will do any better and just can't cope. I have the larger R1 cooler now and does a better job (60c when both CPU and GPU is stressed). But that case is seriously limiting on getting a better cooler...

I would go with the above suggestion to try undervolt it, maybe even turn off turbo core/XFR and see if that helps.

Soldato
I've been able to undervolt my 1600X at stock, but only down to -0.066v offset. Lower than this and there are occasional bluescreens.

Honestly, it doesn't seem to affect temps much, but mine typically games below 60 and primes at 67 anyway. Maybe it would make more difference in this case...

Associate
OP
Its very strange. I think i need more airflow. When closing a game its at about 78c and takes a good 15 mins to drop to 50c and thats with a fairly aggressive fan curve on the cooler. I just dont think the case is dumping the heat. Going to measure up the limited space i have for maybe a couple of 40mm fans

Back
Top Bottom