• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Try setting the power limit at +50% and see if it still occurs. If it does the card might be faulty and require a slight voltage bump to be stable. Of course you can just go to settings and select unlock voltage monitoring and control yourself afterwards to test this theory. If its stable at +0.015mv then you know the problem.

Got myself a Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X OC WindForce 4096MB for my new build and have to say it's a very nice card! only issue is that it's soo bloody loud in games! It sounds like a jet engine whilst playing Tombraider, way way loud!, is this the norm and can I adjust the fans on it?

I have a Gigabyte Windforce 290X and the card runs as quiet as I expected it too.

Whilst gaming the fans do spin up a bit but nothing like what you are describing.

I am using the standard auto fan profile at idle the fans are at 20% and whilst gaming they are at about 45-50%.

What sort of case are you running it in? Good airflow?

Last edited:
I'm using a Corsair 600t with a h100i, 200mm Fan intake. two sp120s on top and an AF120 for an exhaust.

4770k CPU
8 Gig RAM
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
Corsair RM750w PSU

Everything is at stock.

Have you tired Tombraider on your card?

Last edited:
I'm using a Corsair 600t with a h100i, 200mm Fan intake. two sp120s on top and an AF120 for an exhaust.

4770k CPU
8 Gig RAM
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
Corsair RM750w PSU

Everything is at stock.

Have you tired Tombraider on your card?

No dont have it but have been playing a lot of bf4 as thats the main reason for me buying the card.

When playing next will make a note of max temp and fan speeds.

Gigabyte R9 290X WindForce OC 4GB Graphics Card Review placed in OP

http://www.eteknix.com/gigabyte-r9-290x-windforce-oc-4gb-graphics-card-review/

:Facepalm

Another reviewer who does not know how to overclock Hawaii. They wonder why the screen starts to flicker when you overclock the memory past 1500. I can explain that, memory is tied to core voltage. If you'd bothered to increase core voltage a tad (+200mv is allowed they didn't use any) then not only would the core have reached around 1200+ the memory would have been good for 1600 or so.

:Facepalm

Another reviewer who does not know how to overclock Hawaii. They wonder why the screen starts to flicker when you overclock the memory past 1500. I can explain that, memory is tied to core voltage. If you'd bothered to increase core voltage a tad (+200mv is allowed they didn't use any) then not only would the core have reached around 1200+ the memory would have been good for 1600 or so.

Morning LtMatt.:D

Just tried running Heaven benchmark and my GPU kicks up to @ 83c @ 81%/3850rpm fan speed, it then bombs out after it finishes the benchmark and Windows reports that my display driver has stopped working. I then have to reboot.

Update 2 - Ok this time round it completed the benchmark, thing is about mid way through my fps went kaput (I don't know if this is the norm, if it's testing the CPU or something?)

Anyhow, after about 5 minutes I decided to give Tombraider another go. I benchmarked first, I noticed the FPS was 20-30fps and was stuttering, but it did complete. I then loaded up my recent save point (which is at the beginning of the game) and the FPS was shot to death, 20-30fps, stuttering.. and about 30 seconds in this happens...

2ij5i0w.jpg

dqjfh4.jpg

Just flicking on and off, so had to reset the PC.

Just to add my rig is brand new and is as follows:

i7 4770k
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Intel Z87
GeIL EVO Potenza 8GB 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit
Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X OC WindForce 4096MB
Corsair h100i
Corsair RM750w PSU
Corsair 600t (1 x 200mm intake 2 x SP120s top 1 x AF120 exhaust)

Nothing is overclocked in the system, everything is at stock.

Last edited:
my vtx3d 290 unlocked to 290x does that if i dont have enough core volts when overclocking, but i know you are not doing this, think you should use afterburner and add some core volts and see what results are like then in terms of stability.
If its then stable, then clearly the card needs to be rmad

edit: i see Ltmatt has already advised this above.

Last edited:
Thing is I'm not really up on overclocking and have always ran things at stock (in regards to GPUs). My whole Pc is a week old and is running at stock (CPU,GPU,RAM). That said, I shouldn't really need to be messing around with volts on a factory stock card, as it should work as intended from the box?

I appreciate your advice.

Last edited:
Just tried running Heaven benchmark and my GPU kicks up to @ 83c @ 81%/3850rpm fan speed, it then bombs out after it finishes the benchmark and Windows reports that my display driver has stopped working. I then have to reboot.

Update 2 - Ok this time round it completed the benchmark, thing is about mid way through my fps went kaput (I don't know if this is the norm, if it's testing the CPU or something?)

Anyhow, after about 5 minutes I decided to give Tombraider another go. I benchmarked first, I noticed the FPS was 20-30fps and was stuttering, but it did complete. I then loaded up my recent save point (which is at the beginning of the game) and the FPS was shot to death, 20-30fps, stuttering.. and about 30 seconds in this happens...

2ij5i0w.jpg

dqjfh4.jpg

Just flicking on and off, so had to reset the PC.

Just to add my rig is brand new and is as follows:

i7 4770k
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Intel Z87
GeIL EVO Potenza 8GB 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit
Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X OC WindForce 4096MB
Corsair h100i
Corsair RM750w PSU
Corsair 600t (1 x 200mm intake 2 x SP120s top 1 x AF120 exhaust)

Nothing is overclocked in the system, everything is at stock.

Faulty vram. Rma time. Show the retailer those screens.

Thing is I'm not really up on overclocking and have always ran things at stock (in regards to GPUs). My whole Pc is a week old and is running at stock (CPU,GPU,RAM). That said, I shouldn't really need to be messing around with volts on a factory stock card, as it should work as intended from the box?

I appreciate your advice.

yep totally agree, just interested if it is a lack of voltage as i know this happens on mine when that is the case.

Faulty vram. Rma time. Show the retailer those screens.

I also get symptoms like that. But only when I try to start a miner from cold boot within 2 mins or restart a miner right after closing a miner.
plays gamed and bench fine on both cards other than that.

Are mine faulty?

I also get symptoms like that. But only when I try to start a miner from cold boot within 2 mins or restart a miner right after closing a miner.
plays gamed and bench fine on both cards other than that.

Are mine faulty?

Add a touch of vcore and see if the issues subsides. It could just be a mining issue, if they're fine under normal gaming use.

Back
Top Bottom