• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Soldato
Yeah settings are maxed but would assume if my frames aren't limiting it would at least hit 99% some of the time.

I am not in need of the performance boost but, i am trying to do a group of benchmark comparisons between my different CPUs and clocks with the 290x on a heavy overclock.

Man of Honour
As above, my cards are under water. Even with the voltage slider in MSI AB all the way to the right and Powertune done as well, I can't seem to get above 1150 core without it crashing the AMD driver within 30 seconds of starting a Benchmark. It's also the same if I put memory over 1350.

Temps never go above 45 degrees and the VRM's are staying nice and cool as well. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Associate
For people with Triple or Quad R9 290x, try this CrossFire Profile for Unigine based benchmarks such as Valley or Heaven.

Don't forget to add it first.

5000x10000px-LL-748862e0_Untitled2121.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
As above, my cards are under water. Even with the voltage slider in MSI AB all the way to the right and Powertune done as well, I can't seem to get above 1150 core without it crashing the AMD driver within 30 seconds of starting a Benchmark. It's also the same if I put memory over 1350.

Temps never go above 45 degrees and the VRM's are staying nice and cool as well. Any ideas?

I am not sure if it's still the case but release cards had really bad vdrop. Some were only getting 1.25v when the slider was at 1.4v. There are a few bios going around that fix this. I think most of them are asus. Check what actual voltage you are receiving in gpuz.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
hmm interesting reviews, I'm not overly convinced what to do at the moment. I have a buyer for my 2 7950s and will be considering a 290X Custom card. At the moment though I'm not being totally wowed by a review and what's on offer so far. And prices really are being pushed close to a 780ti which is quite clearly a better card, so it's leaving my decision a little cloudy at the moment. Oh the choices.

Soldato
hmm interesting reviews, I'm not overly convinced what to do at the moment. I have a buyer for my 2 7950s and will be considering a 290X Custom card. At the moment though I'm not being totally wowed by a review and what's on offer so far. And prices really are being pushed close to a 780ti which is quite clearly a better card, so it's leaving my decision a little cloudy at the moment. Oh the choices.

I went from a 780 to an MSI 290x gaming and I think the 780 is a better card let alone the 780ti.

Soldato

The best value out of all the high end options is the R9 290. If you're going to spend more than that, I can say I've tried them all, imho the 780Ti is worth a lil extra over the 290X.

Associate
Is anyone else (290x owners) stuck on Catalyst 13.11 beta 9.5?

I have tried 13.12 hwql, and 14.1 beta but they both cause me all sorts of problems in various titles.

What problems do you have in bf4 ??

IT worked perfectly for me with Mantle, then I got to play it later and it just crashes the game and when it does load long enough for me to see the fps its at solid 30 fps.

Frustrating

Soldato
I do not own, nor have any particular desire for BF4.

I have Arma3, MechWarrior Online, Silent Hunter 5, <a mp Stalker like game> in closed beta test, X Rebirth, DCS World, Crysis 3, Metro LL. A pretty good mix of DX11, 10 & 9 titles.

Back
Top Bottom