• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Got me a powercolor 290x tuesday 28th (may, for future ref)

Today (29th) put an ek block on it

Now using sapphire trixx, i have her benching with no arts or problems in the valley bencher on extreme hd @ 1220/1650 with vddc offset @ 100 (no idea how much offset is needed)

This is powercolors oem bios ftiw (1030/1250)

Loving it so far, can't wait for new mobo/cpu to do this gpu justice

edit :

Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0
FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:
System
Platform:
Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1) 64bit
CPU model:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (4020MHz) x4
GPU model:
AMD Radeon R9 200 Series 14.100.0.0 (4095MB) x1
Settings
Render:
Direct3D11
Mode:
1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen
Preset
Extreme HD

hgm.png

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/14/05/28/hgm.png

Vrm1 max temp 51c
Vrm2 max temp 33c
Gpu max temp 43c :)

Last edited:
Got me a powercolor 290x tuesday 28th (may, for future ref)

Today (29th) put an ek block on it

Now using sapphire trixx, i have her benching with no arts or problems in the valley bencher on extreme hd @ 1220/1650 with vddc offset @ 100 (no idea how much offset is needed)

If you post a pic I can put you on the "Roll of Honour" in the OP.:)

Very pleased this week a few months ago I sold my 2 x 6950s (both flashed to 6970s) for £160 after being sick of games not being optimized for crossfire (particularly Indie and early access games). On Tuesday I managed to get a VTX r9 290 (the reference none X version) for just £200 on the MM. The difference is amazing - everything seems to just work flawlessly. I have played around with running it as cool as possible and find if I set the GPU clock to 95% the fans never get above 50% and the card stays at around 85 degrees after 4 hours use. As I game at 1080p the 5% makes very little difference in terms of FPS (about 2 or 3 FPS). I may later look into adding a better cooler but for now I'm more than happy - the upgrade has only cost me £40 and the difference is staggering.

Could someone running crossfire who can see their power draw please advise one what sort of load they get?

I did various tests last night with a single card, and couldn't pull more than 500w from the wall (so 400w-ish total system draw). Furmark I didn't bother with as it's totally unrealistic.

As the above means I have around 350w leeway, I'm trying to work out if I can get a 290 in there to crossfire, and undervolt the 290x a bit.

Could someone running crossfire who can see their power draw please advise one what sort of load they get?

I did various tests last night with a single card, and couldn't pull more than 500w from the wall (so 400w-ish total system draw). Furmark I didn't bother with as it's totally unrealistic.

As the above means I have around 350w leeway, I'm trying to work out if I can get a 290 in there to crossfire, and undervolt the 290x a bit.

Some info in this thread http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18601365&highlight=psu+crossfire

Cheers, very useful that!

So realistically, and especially if I want to include water cooling (unless they can be powered straight from a socket?), and upgrade of PSU is on the cards too, probably just stick to the single card then, maybe watercool it and clock it's nuts off until the next gen of cards.

Guys just quickly.

I have 6 reference 290s (3x Asus, 2x PowerColour and 1x MSI) and two of those cards have Hynix memory.

Am I better using the Hynix cards under water or should I keep to the same card manufacture instead?

I'd just pick the best clockers personally. Mixing memory types will not be an issue. I could understand though if you wanted to go with the two Hynix cards.

Back
Top Bottom