• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Man of Honour
OP
Keeping me warm in summer. :D

To be honest, one extra card makes little difference in terms of heat or noise output. I've been using three for ages so quite used to it now. :p

It's nice to have that extra grunt at 4k though. Battlefield 4 is a breeze at 4k ultra preset, the cards barely get over 40% fan speed with vsync on. :cool:

Stop being a wimp, turn the vsync off.:D

Man of Honour
OP
Kaap got an update 290X shot for the OP.

Untitled.png

Updated.:)

Associate
Does anyone have any idea why my motherboard wont detect either of my 290x's? I've tried with just the one and that doesn't seem to be detecting either.

build is MSi Z97 Gaming 9, 4Gb MSi 290xTwin Frozr in CF, i7-4790k, 1000w Superflower PSU Platinum, 16gb ram @2400mhz

Soldato
Does anyone have any idea why my motherboard wont detect either of my 290x's? I've tried with just the one and that doesn't seem to be detecting either.

build is MSi Z97 Gaming 9, 4Gb MSi 290xTwin Frozr in CF, i7-4790k, 1000w Superflower PSU Platinum, 16gb ram @2400mhz

try updating the motherboard bios

Man of Honour
OP
EK Introduces Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X Water Block

EK Water Blocks, Ljubljana based premium computer liquid cooling gear manufacturer, is proud to introduce a new Full-Cover water block for Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 290(X) graphics cards with amended (non-reference) Vapor-X circuit board design.

EK-FC R9-290X VaporX directly cools the GPU, RAM as well as VRM (voltage regulation module) as water flows directly over these critical areas thus allowing the graphics card and it's VRM to remain stable under high overclocks. Additionally this water block also directly cools exposed copper drain on the circuit board to achieve best cooling possible. The cooling engine features a very high flow design therefore it can be easily used in liquid cooling systems using weaker water pumps.

Base is made of nickel-plated electrolytic copper while the top is made of quality POM Acetal or acrylic (depending on the variant). Screw-in brass standoffs are pre-installed and allow for safe installation procedure. The cooling engine uses refined 0.6mm wide microchannel structure to even further improve the heat transfer while not sacrificing the famous low hydraulic restriction design.

Up to four EK-FC R9-290X VaporX water blocks can be interconnected with EK-FC Terminal which allows for hassle-free piping job.

In order to simplify the search for suitable and compatible water block EK is adding newly released graphics cards and motherboard from various manufacturers to EK Cooling Configurator database and compatible graphics cards are being added to the list on daily basis.

This water block is readily available for purchase through EK Webshop and Partner Reseller Network, together with an aesthetic retention backplate:

http://www.techpowerup.com/205394/ek-introduces-sapphire-vapor-x-r9-290x-water-block.html

Associate
Hiya, with the kind and very patient help of staff member Damo I finally settled on an ASUS R9 290X Direct CU II OC. I was very happy right up until I fitted it, it works as advertised perfectly, except that it's LOUD & seems HOT.

With one website open (this one and this page), my temp is 42.0 C and it starts humming, just enough to start getting on your nerves. Max temp so far ingame is approx 79.0 C and the noise level is like an industrial vacuum cleaner in the next room.

Have an AMD FX-8320 (stock cooler and speeds atm), and a Gigabyte 970A-DS3P board (not the best, I know), and compared to the MSI GTX 770 2GB I had before this it's loud where that was silent and noisy where that was loud. Case is a BitFenix, loads of room.

Next time I'm going Blue and Green instead of all RED Team.

p.s. CAT-The-Fifth, if you read this plz get in touch, have some stuff for you, gratis. Can send it wherever you want (within reason :) ). Stuff = Phenom II + cooler, gigabyte board, 4 GB ram and a Sapphire HD 4870 card.

Caporegime
I recently got one of the XFX 290x's in the OCUK sale/clearance.
My pc has now bluescreened 6 times, after having never done this before :(
Anyone have an Idea what could be doing it? or advise on how to fix it?

Hi GiraffePencils,

Sorry to hear of the issue you're having.

Which 290X do you have, is it the reference cooled version or the DD version?

Is your cpu or memory overclocked? If so, have you tried running them at stock to see if the BSOD still occurs?

Do you have any information on what the BSOD error code was?

I will try to help you fix this, but first i need some information from you.

First of all please list your full system specs.

Secondly please attach a DXDIAG report using SendSpace and share the download link with me.

Thirdly please share the BSOD mini dump file with me so i can analyze it further to find out the cause of the BSOD. Further information below can be found below about how you do this, just incase you're not sure.

In most cases a minidump is created by Windows whenever a Bluescreen crash occurs. This can be found in C:\Minidump.

If you do not see such a file, try enabling it using the following instructions from Microsoft:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff542953(v=vs.85).aspx

Before reproducing the issue, please disable the Windows Timeout Detection and Recovery as well to ensure only the system crash information is gathered:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff569918(v=vs.85).aspx

Back
Top Bottom