• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Guys think im going to purchase the "MSI Radeon R9 290X LE Lightning Edition 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card" sometime this wk with my new rig, any advice for me before i purchase it?

Thanks!

Just buy one! I just got mine and it's awesome. albeit a bit noisy but i game with headphones on so can't hear it and when I'm just web browsing and stuff it's near enough silent :)

Although, look at the Asus 290X, it's £250 and supposed to be really good from what i've been told :)

There are a few games already that use more than 4GB at 1080P, so if you're planning on keeping a GPU for a while or moving up to 1440P or higher, more than 4GB makes a lot of sense. Seeing as 8GB cards can be had for £30 - £40 more than 4GB I think it's worth getting, the small extra cost to have room in the tank.

But does a single 290X make sense at 1440P? Okay You might be a lot better at meeting those VRAM requirements, but if you can only hit 40fps then I'm not sure thats what I'm after.

Problem with crossfire and after market coolers is that the heat is dumped into the case, so you need a decent case with good airflow or you may end up with heat/noise issues.

The H440 isn't that bad, and mine runs cool. Highly recommended to change the front fans for high static pressures ones though, so as to maximise airflow. It's quite possible to keep a system cool in one, but I'd be wary of going SLI/Crossfire with non-reference cards. Could get toasty. Single card is fine though.

Back
Top Bottom