• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

sin

sin

Associate
Jet take-off (at 305 meters), use of outboard motor, power lawn mower, motorcycle, farm tractor, jackhammer, garbage truck. Boeing 707 or DC-8 aircraft at one nautical mile (6080 ft) before landing (106 dB); jet flyover at 1000 feet (103 dB); Bell J-2A helicopter at 100 ft (100 dB).

8 times as loud as 70 dB. Serious damage possible in 8 hr exposure

Boeing 737 or DC-9 aircraft at one nautical mile (6080 ft) before landing (97 dB); power mower (96 dB); motorcycle at 25 ft (90 dB). Newspaper press (97 dB).

4 times as loud as 70 dB. Likely damage 8 hr exp

Garbage disposal, dishwasher, average factory, freight train (at 15 meters). Car wash at 20 ft (89 dB); propeller plane flyover at 1000 ft (88 dB); diesel truck 40 mph at 50 ft (84 dB); diesel train at 45 mph at 100 ft (83 dB). Food blender (88 dB); milling machine (85 dB); garbage disposal (80 dB).

2 times as loud as 70 dB. Possible damage in 8 hr exposure.

Passenger car at 65 mph at 25 ft (77 dB); freeway at 50 ft from pavement edge 10 a.m. (76 dB). Living room music (76 dB); radio or TV-audio, vacuum cleaner (70 dB).

Arbitrary base of comparison. Upper 70s are annoyingly loud to some people.

Conversation in restaurant, office, background music, Air conditioning unit at 100 ft

Half as loud as 70 dB. Fairly quiet

Quiet suburb, conversation at home. Large electrical transformers at 100 ft

One-fourth as loud as 70 dB.

Library, bird calls (44 dB); lowest limit of urban ambient sound

One-eighth as loud as 70 dB.

Quiet rural area

One-sixteenth as loud as 70 dB. Very Quiet

Whisper, rustling leaves

Breathing

Barely audible

Associate
so not to bring any hate here, is it worth buying NOW 2x 290X with ref cooler? or wait 1-2 months for non-ref? or just go with gtx 780 SLI?

I will be using them for a 1080p gaming so fan @ 100% wont be needed, will it still be too loud this question is to guys that own a R9 290X

and i do use headset (Tritton Ax Pro+) so it does make the sound or anything a bit quieter tho.

thank you.

Soldato
so not to bring any hate here, is it worth buying NOW 2x 290X with ref cooler? or wait 1-2 months for non-ref? or just go with gtx 780 SLI?

I will be using them for a 1080p gaming so fan @ 100% wont be needed, will it still be too loud this question is to guys that own a R9 290X

and i do use headset (Tritton Ax Pro+) so it does make the sound or anything a bit quieter tho.

thank you.

Why don't you sit back and wait, then quietly read what the guys with these cards conclude ?

Soldato
Is it even possible to talk about the performance, any problems with it(other than the ref cooler not being upto peoples expectation as that's been done to death over the last 8 pages plus all other threads which mention the 290x), etc? Or is every single 290x thread including this one be nothing but the 'card gets too hot', 'its too loud', and everything in between?
I started reading this thread in hopes of finding some useful info but its ended up being a b****ing 'match' between rangerjr1 and rusty with some 'input' from others, on top of all the other complaints regarding the cooler.
On the other hand people mentioning the 100% load issue and the like are the things are what you want in this sort of thread.

Mobster
Soldato
Is it even possible to talk about the performance, any problems with it(other than the ref cooler not being upto peoples expectation as that's been done to death over the last 8 pages plus all other threads which mention the 290x), etc? Or is every single 290x thread including this one be nothing but the 'card gets too hot', 'its too loud', and everything in between?
I started reading this thread in hopes of finding some useful info but its ended up being a b****ing 'match' between rangerjr1 and rusty with some 'input' from others, on top of all the other complaints regarding the cooler.
On the other hand people mentioning the 100% load issue and the like are the things are what you want in this sort of thread.

Im happy to talk performance, but there will always be some kid crying about the cooler as if that is be all end all. And its aggravating me. This time it happened to be some 780 guy who probably doesnt even have any interest in the card, (May or may not have been looking for a reason to bash on the card idk)

Associate
It is interesting with people saying that their cards are throttling back. I haven't seen mine do that at all, and I have been monitoring it on my 2nd screen while gaming. It could be that my card temps are only hitting around 92-93 degrees at 40% fan speeds which I imagine is down to the air flow through the case.

To give an idea on that, I have an Antec 1200, with 3 x 120mm intake fans at the front, 1 x 120mm intake fan on the side panel, 1 x 120mm and 1 x 240mm exhaust fans at the top rear and 2 x 120mm intakes on a H60 cooler on the rear.

Might be something worth considering if your card is being throttled.

Back
Top Bottom