• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Soldato
1: no there's no fingers either
2: only when it throttles

1. Sorry I don't understand, do you mean CF doesn't need a bridge anymore?
2.I read gibbo review and it says its only 5% difference, but can be sorted with a simple play with the fan settings is that easy enough?

I don't ever on plan to overclock them so I really don't need to worry about the cooling from a reference card is that correct?

Associate
1. Sorry I don't understand, do you mean CF doesn't need a bridge anymore?
2.I read gibbo review and it says its only 5% difference, but can be sorted with a simple play with the fan settings is that easy enough?

I don't ever on plan to overclock them so I really don't need to worry about the cooling from a reference card is that correct?

There is no fingers anymore it's all done over PCIE
If you set the fans to 55% max it's really not too loud, I will say that this works for me.

Soldato
There is no fingers anymore it's all done over PCIE
If you set the fans to 55% max it's really not too loud, I will say that this works for me.

So its a case of simply putting the cards into the slot and installing the drivers and maybe switching crossfire on in the drivers control panel?

Soldato
Final question I promise, which cheapest brand should I go for out of ocuk or gigabyte. I don't need the BF4 editons as I already own the game.
So it comes down to service, what does ocuk cards service offer over gigabyte as there both uk based.

Gigabyte an extra tenner for an extra years warranty, seems a no brainer to me, am I right?

Soldato
All the RMAs are done with OCUK for the first (1 year?) So you're good with all cards. Quickest turn around would be MSI and Gigabyte, but i'd opt for MSI if it was my money as they allow you to take the stock cooler off and still maintain your warranty (providing you don't **** up and break it! :D & only if bought from OCUK)

Soldato
What manufacturer's allow you go remove the stock cooler without killing warranty? If not bought from OCuk?

None from Team AMD as far as i'm aware, technically!
Providing there's no void screws and you don't tell them, they honestly wont know.

From Team Nvidia you've got EVGA iirc that allow cooler removals. Same rules apply though as above! ^^

sin

sin

Associate
R9-290X cards don't use a crossfire bridge they use the pci-e slot, but they do need to be pci-e3 for required bandwidth

So your saying If someone cf 290x the 2 pci-e slots on a MB would need to be
pci-3?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
So your saying If someone cf 290x the 2 pci-e slots on a MB would need to be pci-3?

Not sure its required but it might help slightly speed wise, since most games can't get close to saturating pcie 2.0 slots then it should be fine but might not be.

But there is no way to use old crossfire bridges at all with them at all - and of course you can't crossfire with any of the older cards which do have bridges - them being different families as well.

This new method is called XDMA or something like that - e.g. cross-DMA (you might be able to google for more info on it).

If they are slow, then it would be better if they were both wide - e.g. both x16 rather than one x16 and one x8 - or both x8.

More on it here - diagrams show PCIe 3.0 but it doesnt say its required (there might be more on AMD's websitre) - http://www.anandtech.com/show/7457/the-radeon-r9-290x-review/4

Last edited:
Associate
I only report from personal experience and have only run the cards on pci-e3, however to confuse the issue further my motherboard allows me to supply an extra 150w to the graphics cards via the pci-e3 slots for crossfire/sli setups.

Back
Top Bottom