Race reports

Soldato
Another Sunday and another CX Race. Luckily the rain didn't visit and it was glorious in the sun. The course must have had really good drainage as hardly any soggy bits whatsoever.

Had a good start today, but went a bit hard too early, having a rubbish second lap as I recovered, then decided to keep falling off... Think I came down 4 or 5 times, mostly on one bank which was bloody annoying. Just led my team mate over the line by 2 seconds. CX is just great fun, and if you get the chance give it a go.

Soldato
Another CX race today, bit of a trek up to Didcot, and with the overnight rain was not looking forward to it. Along with some videos they'd put up of the course with a section called "The Chute"Click to Play... But glad I went! I bloody loved it, the course wasn't as bad as I thought, and played more to my strengths of longer sections you could put out consistent power and minimal slow speed corners.

I had a good start, but with the course being a bit more open and long section to the first real turn it wasn't as manic as usual. I took it fairly easy and settled much earlier than I normally do as there were plenty of places to overtake. Got to the first uphill section which was a choice.... run up the stairs shouldering the bike, or attempt to ride. I didn't even bother attempting and just jumped straight off and ran up the hill, lucky my recent running came into it's own as this section was where I gained a number of places.

Then little flat muddy before into the chute! :D Many riders were jumping off, but I generally rode it with success, bar one time! :D

Apart from that got round fine the rest of the time, making a chunk of places as some people were so tentative down it!

Had a small mechanical on the first lap as wheel popped out, lost about 20 seconds getting it back in, but after this was very consistent keeping my club mate at about the same gap until the last lap, who is much much stronger than me, so I was quite happy.

Overall came 34th, but in such a strong field, I was happy and really enjoyed it as well as coming out thinking I'd rode a good race. Going to ache in the morning for sure.

Soldato
So following on from https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=30298011&postcount=4925

Our club had its second round of the season in the local Wessex league. Only club to do so. Day before was wet and miserable, and the day started very cold, so the early races cut the course up, but as it drains well come race start it was slippy but not too boggy.

They say never make changes just before a race, but as I hadnt ridden the bike until I got there on the Sunday I had no choice, was only some minor changes to saddle height as I'd adjusted bars etc on the Saturday. But on warm up I had zero confidence through the bends, so was not optimistic.

Lined up for the race, and for the first time I was gridded up, and had one of the last positions which was on the inside, not my usual favoured position. Whistle went and off I went, the race started on a downhill into a tight left bend, everyone was very tentative and I made up a number of spots down the inside, round the bend and back up the hill. I thought in my head amongst the madness I had had a good start. Course then narrowed up and I settled in, thinking I'm never usually with these lads. I made up a few more positions over the lap and realising I was still ahead of a much stronger club mate and dropping the usually equal club mate of mine.

After the first lap madness I got into a good routine, getting more and more confidence in the bike, making up positions through the quicker bends where I usually excel and easily holding position through the slower stuff that I don't really like. Lost a few spots on some of the longer straights to stronger riders, including my club mate, but realised I was mixing it up much further up than usual. The bike lending a great deal more confidence and forgiveness than my Pinnacle.

I had some great scraps throughout and the brilliant thing about CX is the ability for weaker but confident riders like myself to really make up ground through the turns. Powered through to the finish, after making some bold moves 2 laps from the end to get past a quick but slow through the turns rider, which the riders on my tail didn't make which helped me make a gap. I kept this through and with a few turns to go thought I was comfortable, but knew I had a rider quite close behind, so I took the straights easy between the last few turns knowning a good powerful shot out the last corner would secure the position.

Unfortunately it didn't work out like that and he started crossing me just at the line, I was very %%%%%% off, but upon checking the results I was given the position, finishing 15th.

This was a big improvement for me as I usually finish about 30th and a good 4 or 5 minutes behind riders that I was mixing it with throughout. So it's not all about the bike, but its a big part of it :D

Photo Finish

tdWqLrD.jpg

Soldato
Looks good, better than riding on the road at the moment which is pretty miserable. I'd rather sit on the turbo and do MTB or cross at the weekend I think.

Soldato
Looks good, better than riding on the road at the moment which is pretty miserable. I'd rather sit on the turbo and do MTB or cross at the weekend I think.

I don't think I enjoy anything as much as the buzz of CX. I'd do road racing, but so much more risk involved and potential for injury compared to CX.

Soldato
I don't think I enjoy anything as much as the buzz of CX. I'd do road racing, but so much more risk involved and potential for injury compared to CX.

You chose a soft spot to crash on in your video previously!

Nowhere soft to crash on the road apart from on top of someone else, and even then, road cyclists are all skin and bones.

Soldato
You chose a soft spot to crash on in your video previously!

Nowhere soft to crash on the road apart from on top of someone else, and even then, road cyclists are all skin and bones.

Precisely, I've come off loads of times in cross, just jump straight up :D Come off on the road a few times and although I've had some horrible road rash. Not especially fearful of road riding, but it's all flat around here, and I've got no sprint :p I'll stick to TTs

Soldato
Very quick write up before bed.

Went to another league today as no Wessex round, converted my bike to single chainring this week, but was missing a bolt and only got the chain on this morning. Quick link popped off on warm up, so had to use the onsite mechnanic 10 mins before the start, to fix and he had a single chainring bolt.

BIG SHOUT OUT TO LOVELO Cycling!!!

Missed the gridding, I would have been on the 3rd row... So started last row. Worked my way up to 12th by the end of 2nd lap... Was absolutely flying and bullying people left right and centre. Unfortunately dropped it on a bank about 25mins in, and with this I dropped my chain 2 turns later and then had another off trying to work back up few more corners later. Up to that point I was perfection.

Had a solid 30 minutes after this, until my rear derailleur got what I think was some gravel in it, locked up and ripped itself off. Started running to the finish, when some kind lady leant me her pit bike to ride to the finish (half lap left)which was suitable for someone about 5'1. I was like Froome in Le Tour... dropped down to 18th in the end, but had a really good ride and beat my club mate who usually top 3s most of the TTs down here.

Expensive day, but maybe the mech can be saved, but loved the racing.

https://goo.gl/photos/jQsaou5KgzdxMJUP6

Last edited:
Soldato
Xmas 10 for me this weekend just gone. Managed a 22.19 which I was pretty disappointed with all told. Only had my 60mm clinchers, and was trying a new Giro Aero Hat, but since I'd only tried it for fit, after about a minute I realised it was slipping down on my eyes to such an extent I could only see a handful of meters in front, unnerving on a course which was new to me, to say the least. Was close to just sitting up, but stuck with it, and just constantly tipped my head back throughout. Annoying. Reckon on a better day with a proper helmet I could take 30seconds off that, then potentially another 20s with proper wheels and a disc. Especially considering I did a 22.22 on a slower course, with my evade on.

Anyhow, 323w which is pretty terrible for me, but more than I expected given how little I've been riding recently. Should be 360w+ in summer.

Soldato
Xmas 10 for me this weekend just gone. Managed a 22.19 which I was pretty disappointed with all told. Only had my 60mm clinchers, and was trying a new Giro Aero Hat, but since I'd only tried it for fit, after about a minute I realised it was slipping down on my eyes to such an extent I could only see a handful of meters in front, unnerving on a course which was new to me, to say the least. Was close to just sitting up, but stuck with it, and just constantly tipped my head back throughout. Annoying. Reckon on a better day with a proper helmet I could take 30seconds off that, then potentially another 20s with proper wheels and a disc. Especially considering I did a 22.22 on a slower course, with my evade on.

Anyhow, 323w which is pretty terrible for me, but more than I expected given how little I've been riding recently. Should be 360w+ in summer.

Was that at Bentley? Saw Sharland tied for 1st I think? 19:08? Impressive power nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom