Race reports

Soldato
Heard Cx referred to as time trialling on dirt... any truth to that?

Much much harder, the efforts are more like Crit short sharp bursts, but with the physical abuse to your top half that mountain biking gives you as well as having to jump off and on, a nd shoulder your bike.

Soldato
Been quiet in here of late, my TT season has mostly been hampered so far by the weather, first warmish dryish day today.

Bit of a trek so up early to get down to Lulworth for a rolling course around Bovingdon (think tanks), the course was 2.5 laps, flat first couple of miles, then a drag up hill into a headwind, and then rolling gradually losing elevation back to the start. Roads were nice and quiet, I had a good ride compared to late and put out my best power I've ever done for the hour - well 1:06:31 @ 259W, easily holding 270-275 on the flat which I haven't been able to do for quite a while. Currently got a coach, so hopefully this upward trend will continue.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1509395154

Soldato
Bloody hell that a cold one. 25 mile down in Poole today, lovely north easterly wind giving an average temp of 5c. Best ride I've had over the 25, pushing out 268w average, fairly consistent throughout. probably could have had a bit higher but a bit of discomfort from about 2/3rds of the way in due to swapping my bars around and tidying up the cabling, so mantis ish position and tidy front end in the hope of some cda improvements, but the downside is my pads don't angle and due to bar length I had to move them a bit forward until I can get some new pads. Meant I was probably a bit stretched out. But still 8W power PB for the 25. Same power as I've been putting out for my sporting 10s in the past few weeks. Coaching is definitely paying dividends!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1538132964

Soldato
Thought I'd kick this back into life as we seem to be polluting some other threads.

Yesterday was my first race of the CX season up at Newbury Racecourse, not exactly the weather for CX with a 23c heat and clear skies!

Being the first round I arrived about 2 hours before my race to ensure I could get my head around everything and catch up with a few of my other club members. This year seems to have seen a huge uplift in numbers participating from our club with I think 14 entrants across the age categories, although because some people have got older I've got no club mates in my category.

Being at the race course it was very flat and very open and with strong winds meant some sections were absolutely draining. The course recce revealed very little with a couple of minor lumps and an interesting sandpit on a very tight bend. apart from this it was relatively flowing but a course that would definitely not suit me with so many open power sections.

As I hadn't raced for so long (TT or CX) I was a bit nervous as the time approached, but I carried out my new warm up routine and got off and set my pit bike up with about 10 minutes to go. Giving me plenty of time to line up. I was gridded on the fourth row and due to the heat and the dust I took the decision to take a bottle with me following recommendations from club members.

Once the whistle went the nerves dissipated and off I sprinted. I went past a few people and was passed by some quick starters behind. I didn't think before the race, but settled in to a rhythm and let people go rather than chase wheels knowing that with such an open course and being the first race of the season, I'd be able to pick people off and no doubt many would go off too hard full of beans for the new season, and this came true, working my way past a riders over the first lap. Once the first lap passed the race started spreading out and I got riding with a few guys but unfortunately found myself on the front being a bit quicker through the corners gaining a few yards and then being picked back up on the long straights, I tried to jump the few guys behind me at the end of the second lap, but unfortunatley I was caught back up about half a lap later and rode with these guys for the next couple of laps. Unfortunately on one of my dismounts I got a bit of cramp in my right calf and then a bad remount meant I lost the wheel and was unable to catch back up over the next 1/4 of the lap.

I settled into a rhythm and caught a few guys over the next few laps and had a few people come past me who had had mechanicals or were just coming on strong, my lap times were a bit sporadic but within 20 or 30 seconds of best - worst time. I got myself in a bit of nomansland over the middle few laps. 2 laps to go and I was cuaght by a rider and he didn't push on through like many that had caught me previous so I jumped on the wheel and raced with him until the last half lap where I got a bit jump out of a corner and really kicked on to the end coming home 23rd. Although not my best result overall this was a position i'd never achieved before on such a day (my highest positions usually come in horrible muddy conditions) so I was quite happy but know I need to work on my consistency and ensure my starts are good when they need to be on the courses that are tighter.

Race and some photos on https://www.strava.com/activities/1846485812

All in all glad to be back racing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Going to write something up here, more for my own memory as no one seems interested or I'm really boring :D

Second Wessex League race last Sunday, and after the cancelling of Velo South and weather predictions our club was thinking about rotas for pitting. Luckily the weather cleared up and although on my sighting lap my tyres weren't clearing mud too well, I was going to risk riding my Canyon at the start and assess how it would go. Just before our race started the sun came out and the conditions were nigh on perfect apart from a stiff breeze. Unfortunately I missed my name being called as part of the gridding, so started a row or two back from where I should have been.

As the race started I once again took a fairly sensible approach and would work my way up on the first tight corner I took about 6 spots as people took a wide line, the pack then strung out and I was in about 23rd. I continued to work my way up through the field over the first lap and a bit usually taking people on the brakes, the tyres I was running were absolutely perfect for these conditions. The course was relatively flat running around a couple of football pitches but had some little ramps that had a few off camber corners which were very tricky but good for making up significant time if you could carry the speed

I ran with a local Hargroves lad for about the next 2 or 3 laps but he slowly dropped back and from lap 3 to 6 it was a fairly lonely race, mostly pushing on alone and trying to catch up to the guys in front I could see were slowing. On about the 6th lap I had a guy catch me from behind and then caught one guy in front and we ran as a little group for about a lap or so, with the guy who was dropping back hanging on at the back. Myself and the other stronger rider changed positions every now and then with my speed on the corners meaning I could pop ahead on the brakes and then when it opened out he would power past, as my second to last lap started I realised the leader was closing in and was about 30 seconds or so behind. I pushed on in the feint hope I could finish another race without getting lapped.

At this point I dropped the rider I was with through a tight technical tree section and pushed on. Unfortunateblu about 2/3rds round the lap I was passed by the leader, but tried to sit on his wheel for a few corners, if this was when it was tighter I would have had more hope, but as it was the open section he just pulled away, regardless I carried on pushing as I was catching a rider in front quite rapidly. As I approached the final hurdle section I was only a few seconds behind, unfortunately I hit my ankle with my pedal as I rushed the jump, and with this the change to catch the rider. I coasted across the line about 10 seconds off the Winner, so didn't give loads of time away.

When I looked at the results I was 14th which I did not believe as I didn't feel I had that hard a race, but they were confirmed later that day.

On analysing this my lack of gridding really hurt me as the time I lost on the first lap making up positions meant I missed riding with the group of riders who finished 6th through to 13th. I feel if I could have got in this group I could have hung on as my riding alone really took it out of me on the open sections.

Overall a very good result and my highest ever achieved (previous best was 15th)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1861263046

https://my5.raceresult.com/108148/results?lang=en

mKU8gfM.jpg

Soldato
Awesome, well done pal.
FYI, I do always read all your posts on here so please keep doing them!

sounds like you are enjoying CX and are seeing the areas where you can improve things (hearing your name being shouted :p) which will get you up the results. On the open sections are these guys dropping you as they are generally stronger watts wise or are they running better wheels/tyres? Sounds to me you are as quick as the top lads in the techies and on the brakes but losing your way on the open/fast sections of course?

Soldato
Awesome, well done pal.
FYI, I do always read all your posts on here so please keep doing them!

sounds like you are enjoying CX and are seeing the areas where you can improve things (hearing your name being shouted :p) which will get you up the results. On the open sections are these guys dropping you as they are generally stronger watts wise or are they running better wheels/tyres? Sounds to me you are as quick as the top lads in the techies and on the brakes but losing your way on the open/fast sections of course?

:D I know it was in jest.

Yeah CX is always good fun, think I've massively stepped up my strength this year with the coaching. I've only ever finished high up when it's grim and dirty and less people race, whereas last week was definitely a fairly full field.

Generally being dropped on the flat straight sections, they're usually bigger guys. Out the corners and inclines I can usually pull a length or two. This weekend is a lumpier race thats quite technical so I'm hoping for another good result. Numbers are looking good in training and Legs feel very good. Was also surprised by the result as I did Tough Mudder on the Saturday.

Soldato
Just posting to say I do read these reports and I do find them interesting - I just don't post as I tend to read them whilst at work. Keep racing (yeah I know it's cross season) and keep up the race reports people.

Soldato
Same as above really, I do read them all but don't reply.

I'd write one for my first race but I can't English very well so I won't.

OOOOOH Just got an email to say I'm off reserve and in for Sunday race. Still no report though :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Same as above really, I do read them all but don't reply.

I'd write one for my first race but I can't English very well so I won't.

OOOOOH Just got an email to say I'm off reserve and in for Sunday race. Still no report though :p

As per Strava, final bunch of 12 and I got 6th out of 52 starters and first 4th cat and £30 to me :)

Was a headwind for the first 5 miles, crosswind before the climb and tailwind back to the finish.

I found it interesting how much you had to fight and move about for shelter and also how it would go from 16mph to 26mph for no apparent reason very quickly! I realized I was getting close to the back of the bunch so made a point of moving up on the climb by following another guy up making up loads of places without going full gas to be honest.

On doing that I made it into the front group as the bunch split on the climb, surfed the wheels and made it round the next lap did the same again on the climb staying in the top ten again but 5 guys had got up the road by about 30 seconds with 1 lap to go.

Just at the start of the 3rd lap I poked my nose onto the front and had a discussion about chasing them down, I said I wasn't going to into a solid headwind.

Same technique up the climb took me to the front of the bunch to get positioned well for the fast run in to the finish and I stole the last wheel on the white line from the same guy from before as it was now a strong cross from the left. Ended up riding centimeters from each others bars at 30 odd mph. Decided to stay on the line towards the finish to allow me to get out as I've been boxed in before doing a club APR thing on the same road.

Last smaller climb before the sprint saw loads of people fly up the inside to move up but I stayed put, ended up on the wrong side of the road with a van coming towards us so had to move in and then followed a guy I train with out but a strong young guy swung out and forced me off that wheel. Guy I was following got 3rd, other guy got 2nd and I was happy to just roll across the line having not crashed in a bunch sprint to be honest!

They had someone else as first 4th cat but he asked them to double check as he saw I was in front of him so they checked and gave me the envelope, which actually had the overall winners cheque in it but they clocked on to that :(

Was quite surprising how many people chucked it after one lap but it was the fastest at 24ish mph average and the last two around 22-23mph.

Soldato
Back by popular demand!

Wessex CX Round 3 at Prospect Park, Reading, yet another week of dry weather led to what can be a horrible course due to the height change over the lap, being slightly more forgiving.

Turned up with a bit of time prior to the start to ensure I got gridded correctly, and as the top riders were calle, nobody was there...I think the top 5 riders in the standings were giving this round a miss, whether this was due to racing elsewhere or taking a week of prior to the national rounds next week who knows. This meant I was gridded on the second row, unfortunately I managed to pick the only wheel that was running single speed....

As the whistle went luckily the guy in front got a great start and I got an ok start but dropped back a few places to probably 17th or 18th. I quickly worked to make up these positions to avoid dropping back too far and did some dive bombing on the first 4 or 5 corners :D making up 4 or 5 spots. Due to the course layout the field very quickly spread out as the hills are very sapping and even when you get to the top of the hard bits the course continues climbing slightly or is just a draggy surface. I settled in to a rhythm realising people ahead would drop back, trying to keep riders ahead within touching distance. This also meant that you were quickly lapping people, especially as this round seems to attract more riders that you never see for the rest of the year, this means you have to keep on your toes and ensure you're calling early on so the riders move over nice and wide.

The course is the first this year with some really slow tougher technical sections which due to my lack of practising on I seemed to lose a bit of time each lap, so something to practise this week, but the flowing sections I pulled out on the riders behind.

I can't remember a great deal from the race as it is such a tough course so drains you physically and mentally. I lost a few spots about half way through and gained a few as a couple of riders just dropped back from poor pacing and a few mechanicals in front which will no doubt start to increase in number with the winter finally approaching.

On the last lap I tried to give it my all to catch the rider in front, but I got held up on one of the climbs by back markers and lost a bit of impetus, and with the gap behind me quite big I just rode through the last half lap. In the end I finished 13th! So was happy with that as I didn't feel I had great legs on the day and I forgot to take a gel on the start line which I definitely felt at the back end of the race.

On to next week and a new venue, which sounds like a cracker and if the description is anything to go by should play to my strengths, but we'll see.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1876535626

c2ouzbM.jpg

FuKf07h.jpg

Soldato
No write up last week as I didn't enjoy the race and been busy this week. Short story was great start. Gradually slipped backwards to finish 18th everyone enjoyed the course apart from me and one my club mates according to Facebook!.

This week is my clubs home race. So yesterday was spent setting the course up and then this morning I've been panicking about what tyres to put on due to the hurricane we've had overnight! Oh and massively overpacking for the first wet race of the year!

Soldato
Finally recovered from Sunday to get enough energy to put some words down....

So following the course set up in the lovely weather on the Saturday and a good hours practise riding the course and spotting the lines, it all went to waste as overnight the rain came in as predicted! This meant the first proper weather/conditions for CX of the year so far! :D Being our home event I got there early as I had volunteered to help do a sweeper role which has been introduced this year which is basically following the slowest person round from the previous race so people can scope the course but not interrupt riders still racing.

Our course is based on a motocross track on the side of a big hill, so it drains fairly well, but going round the course was pretty slippery with some hellish bits that crossed the motocross track where it was just thick mud that slowed you to an almost stop. In our madness we'd also decided to put some hurdles half way up the hill just after these ruts of mud to make our lives extra difficult. Due to the nature of the course I knew I should be fine with my intermediate tyres and the recce lap proved that although it was sticky a big downhill section meant a lot of the mud that clogged on the tyres over the top of the hill section had flung off.

So as I hung around for the next few hours cheering on my club mates and helping with pitting the rain held off apart from the odd spit and I lined up for my race. I was called out as about 20th name on the gridding, and although only 12 or so people had been called before I lined up on the 3rd row on the inside, smooth and cleared line. As the whistle went to start, away I went on the uphill drag to the first corner I got what can only be described as a terrible start. I just couldn't get my foot clipped in until about 100 yards after the start (basically the first corner) This meant I had to battle back past a load of riders after the first turn back down the hill, I took a very wide line round the next corner which was a long sweeping arc and kept to the grippier grass and got past a good 4 or 5 riders who were all scrabbling around on the inside, and then braked into the next 180degree left shoving a rider wide :S

I was back up to about 15th at this point and settled down in to more of a rhythm, riding with a couple of riders and swapping positions but gradually losing touch with a couple of riders ahead and stretching out from the riders behind! The course was holding up well and although I was losing a bit of time to the guys I was with on the uphill draggy sections I would pull it back on the faster technical turns where my 40mm wide tyres had bundles more grip and compliance. About 3 laps in my bike was unfortunately starting to clog a bit from the constant chucking of mud, so in the pits I went to jump on the Cannondale. Jumping on it straight away the saddle felt way too high but I carried on knowing my bike would be back in half a laps time clear of mud. Luckily the cannondale didn't cost me any time and the tyre choice on it was absolutely perfect with once again intermediates although not quite so wide they had a bit more grip and no mud so I was able to make up time through the longer corners.

I jumped back on my Canyon half a lap later and realised it had barely been cleaned!!! I was not happy but this spurred me to push on a bit even with some ropey gear changes. As the race dragged on the riders I was with started to pull away, and I was caught by one guy behind who I kept up with for a lap or two but pulled away with 1 lap to go. I had a few more bike changes this time having my bike cleaned inbetween (pressure washer was busy the first time around I later found out) and could tell I was getting tired as I started to run more of the hill before the hurdles unable to turn the pedals.

I was lapped with 2 laps to go, so pushed on to minimise who I was lapped by which is always a bit of a marker and only got lapped down to third place. Which I was happy with considering the nature of the course.

The last half lap I realised I was being caught from behind, so I pushed on a little to keep this position and in the end finished a chunk of time up the road. In the end I rolled over 17th, which I was happy with, it was a shame I couldn't keep with the riders I was with early in the race, but I think the efforts of putting up the course the day before and helping on the day took their toll. Overall I was happy with my bike set up (tyres, pressures etc) apart from my Cannondale saddle being too high.

First race with a power meter on the Canyon, so some numbers to go over, although looks like when I got my bike back the numbers had dropped by about 20% even though my laptimes were still in the same sort of region. Perhaps the extra running where I was doing big efforts before.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1905238375
https://my3.raceresult.com/109757/results?lang=en

LwVGhxp.jpg

U1UKAMD.jpg

Soldato
@SoliD - great write up and super cool images!! :)

I have started "blogging" now and done a race report from the CTT Scottish Hill Climb which was on Saturday past.
would appreciate you folks taking a look at the report for me but also having a look at my site which I hope looks OK but is still a work in progress:

https://dcun.co.uk/

Soldato
Ta, there were a few more bits from the race.

Firstly the big descent after hell corner. I was following a guy about 3 laps from the end and at the bottom there was a hay bale which the photographer taking these pictures was stood on. He managed to go completely straight into the hay bale and almost took out the photographer! :D On the last lap I was behind him again and gave him some gentle ribbing about making the corner and I promptly went straight on myself, luckily avoiding the hay bale and heading left.

You can see the corner in these two photos.
Looking Up
https://imgur.com/L0BgplQ

Going Down Can see the Hay bale at the bottom just by the tyre.
https://imgur.com/xSGA1Jc

Just before the race I actually had a complete flat on my rear tyre on my cannondale and my pit "crew" managed to swap out my rear wheel, change the tyre over and put a tube in all before I even started. CX really is a team sport in events like this with the need to get bikes clean, and our club have a good little rota going on so each racer is helping out others before/after their race. The one thing we need is a pressure washer.

Following the race I have invested in some nice 40mm wide mud tubeless tyres for my Canyon as the WTB Nanos I have on it currently do not shed mud that well. It's been dry so far, but will definitely need them going forward. I'll also be going single front chainring which I've been holding off for until it started getting grubby, but with the way I started clogging up it will definitely be needed over the next few months.

Last edited:
Soldato
As I did my first race the other day I can finally post here :)

I signed up for the Bowood house Duathlon a while ago, as I got the triathlon bug too late in the season and most events I would like to do ran earlier in the year.

The weather was horrendous.

Driving down I was almost tempted to turn back and call it a day, but everyone is in the same boat, and as I wasn’t expecting much, I could at least treat it as a learning exercise.

The event was a sprint duathlon, so 5km run, 21km ride and another 5km run.

I’ve only been running seriously since June time, so I knew the bike leg would be my best chance to make up time.

This was also my first event with transitions (albeit without coming from a swim). There’s a lot to think about, even coming from a run into ride. Remembering the route to your bike, what order to do things, leaving your bike in a suitable gear etc

There were a series of childrens events in the morning, and it was a good chance to see what to do and what not to do.

My first 5km was reasonably steady, the route was very much off road, with muddy tracks and gravel paths around the Bowood House grounds. There were a couple of steep drags too, which really took some effort to get up.

My first transition went a lot better than I had expected. I had covered my cycle shoes with a plastic bag to prevent them from getting soaked, of course I knew they would during the ride, but they would be easier to get on if dry. My S-Works shoes are a pain to get on even when getting changed for a morning ride, and with wet slippery hands, they were a bugger to get on. Tri shoes are on my xmas list, so that won’t be an issue next time.

It was 7 laps of a closed road course (a service road in the grounds essentially). There were a lot of sharp corners, covered in leaves, so in the wet it was very treacherous at times. It was a case of power out of each corner, and brake very early for the next corner (my carbon wheels, like all, don’t like the wet too!).

I was feeling great all ride, and even overtook a few people who ran ahead of me in my wave of 20 or so. I did my best to remember to count each lap too!

T2 had the same struggles as before, trying to pry off my shoes with wet and cold hands.

My second run was pretty much on my own, apart from passing some people starting in a different wave.

I finished in amazement as I was the first to cross the line in my wave! I even had to ask the martials of they were 100% sure!

As I was soaking wet and starting to get cold, I didn’t hang around much to see how the other people did, so I collected my bike and bits and warmed up in the car.

I learnt a lot even from that short event, and despite the weather, absolutely loved it! I’ve definitely got the multisport bug now, and I have a couple of half iron mans entered for next year, including the Stafford 70.3.

I thought it might have done reasonably well, but I had no idea I actually came 4th! My run times were not too bad, but apart from 1 lap, I set the quickest bike laps each time round. Pretty chuffed with that.

Official results:

https://www.lpsevents.co.uk/upload/results/320/Sprint_Results.pdf

This was also the first proper event where I used the multisport function on my 935 too, didn’t miss a beat. Just a case of remembering to press the lap button after each section!

Run 1 https://www.strava.com/activities/1904140555

Ride https://www.strava.com/activities/1904140586

Run 2 https://www.strava.com/activities/1904140552

Back
Top Bottom