Race reports

Soldato
Cross sounds reasonable fun but lots of falling over & potential for breaking bits every weekend would sour it a bit for me.

Do you have loads of wheels and tyres or run a tubeless setup?

Ie is there any way of getting out of buying loads of wheels for every tyre combo as tubular can be run low pressure no problem unlike clinchers.

Soldato
Thanks xdcx, it certainly does especially now in the year being able to have a clean run early in the race means you're less fatigued both physically and mentally as the race goes on and able to settle in to a rhtyhm much much earlier.

Berger -

My CX kit consists of -

1 Canyon Inflite - 2 x DT Swiss Wheels - Tubeless
1 Cannondale Super X - 2 x 50mm Chinese Carbon Wheels - Clinchers
2x Hunt Aero Light Disc Wheels
2x Challenge Limus Open Clinchers
2x Challenge Grifo Open Clinchers
2x MXP Clements Clinchers
2x Vittoria Terreno Wet 40mm Tubeless
2x Vittoria Terreno Mix 40mm Tubeless
2x Clement BOS 33mm Tubeless
1x WTB Nano 40mm Tubeless ~(had to cut one off my Carbon Clinchers the other day as it would not budge)

However most of this is not required and I would proabbly be able to race 90% of the year using 1 bike and a pair of mud tyres (probably the Clement BOS). Up until this year I never had a pit bike and only suffered one race, but this was on the last lap and I dropped 1 place. On average I did break 1 derraileur per year though.

This year touch wood I've just had the handlebar incident which Canyon are covering and could have happened anywhen and hoping having pits available to me will avoid any issues with broken derailleurs. This season has actually turned in to a bit experimental with the Canyon being new and being more competitive, but I'm taking what I learn on and as Sunday proved using that to great effect. Next year I'll be reducing my tyre load to just the Mix and the Clement BOS probably, although the Cannondale is a bit fussy on the rear with the 40mm tyres, but in reality I'd only be using it in deep mud so probably only need the thinner full mud BOS tyres.

If you're new I'd just recommend getting a very open framed bike, most of the new ones are - if you can afford it get Carbon, chucking an alu bike on your shoulder is not fun! Also get 1x if you can as if you've only got one bike it massively minimises clogging.

Cheap and cheerful are the Vitus although the cheap Canyons are also great buys and then just some deep mud tubeless tyres for it for year round racing and training without any of the worries of punctures. Most rims on these bikes are tubeless ready nowadays.

But it is great fun and I've made some great mates through my club and others! much more relaxed atmosphere than TTing.

Last edited:
Soldato
I very much enjoyed it and now looking at entering the national in January!

Yeah being further up helps massively especially this time of year as the lines you take are obviously quite narrow or you'll just end up on your arse. Means youre more likely to stay out of trouble as well.

So I took the plunge and entered, and got accepted. 4 weeks until Nationals! Going to start at the back because of points and no doubt get lapped by Tom Pidcock, but hopefully I'll last until at least 40 minutes!

Soldato
That’s Christmas ruined then ;) all that training and not eating!

Tbh I wouldn’t mind doing big miles over xmas but family commitments don’t allow.

Soldato
That’s Christmas ruined then ;) all that training and not eating!

Tbh I wouldn’t mind doing big miles over xmas but family commitments don’t allow.

I'll be aiming for festive 500 for the 4th year in a row to keep the food off! Luckily I'm at home or at my parents 5 miles down the road!

Soldato
Another week another race, trying to get some points on the board to help my gridding for the Nationals!

The course on recce was surprisingly dry considering the storm experienced on the Saturday, but as I was warming up it was getting darker and darker, but it didn't set in.

I was gridded third row and made an ok start, but quickly had some misfortune as I got stuck right behind someone who missed their pedal and then clipped a wheel. It felt like I stopped (in reality I went from 23mph to 16) whilst getting swamped by all around me who were far enough back or to the left and right of said incident. I then worked hard to make up positions once I got going again, I reckon I had dropped back to about 30th or 35th after that, so I worked to make up positions. Feeling strong I pushed on the open long sections, and moved up a few places, and then got up the inside of one guy on a fast slight right bend, unfrotunately he didn't realise I was there and clipped my handlebar and went absolutely flying. Continuing to slowly reel people in, I got back to a group of riders I'm usually racing with on about lap 6 or lap 7 and sat on the back as the race continued the group gradually went from 7, three laps from the end to 3 on the last lap, at which point it had started raining. I tried to make a big push on the first straight on the final lap but that didn't work, then one other guy tried the same, initially I missed the wheel but I caught him on the long sweepers in the now slippery conditions and put a pass in on the grassy inside line with 3 corners to go. I Accelerated out of the final turn and sprinted for the line but just got pipped by 0.05s for 15th! Very happy with the race in the end once again beating a number of riders I don't normally beat and staying upright the whole way around.

Could have been even better but just shame about the start. Some weeks it works out. Others it doesn't, but at least it's 6 points in the bag. Got some mechanical gremlins in the recently pieced back together Canyon that I need to get resolved too.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2020545049/

Soldato
Yesterday was the return to the scene of one pretty much my worst races I've ever had over the last few seasons (Mechanicals, wrong tyres, snapped frames to name a few)! Luckily the weather was much better this time around and the usual gales weren't in effect.

I wasn't feeling tip top prior to yesterday due to a big week of riding between Christmas and New Year and a poor nights sleep. Went up to the race early to cheer on my club members and down to business, the course was flattish (being on an airfield) but it took in some lumps on a 4x4 driving course!

I was gridded second row and took the last slot behind a guy who was racing an MTB following his recce of the course he found it was much faster through the bumps of the 4x4 course. A good start by me initially meant I was right up on the inside but I was cut up a bit and dropped back a few places to about 12th or 13th. From here I knew that my bike was more suited to the lumps having 40mm tyres on and knew I could make up time here. Rather than push too hard early I decided to grab wheels and let others pull me along. The race was fairly uneventful due to the dry grippy conditions and it went pretty quick at a frenetic pace. After the first lap I settled in with a group of 6 riders and as the laps went on this gradually dwindled down. I lost a bit of time being stuck behind one guy but caught this back at the end of lap 3, as the laps went on this group lost another rider, and then one got out in front, so was down to 3 of us. A few laps later I took the front and pushed on as the other 2 faded a bit.

With 3 laps to go, my nemesis :D Tim Doole was slowly catching me, and I got the bit between my teeth saying I wouldn't let him pass, so I pushed out of every corner and nailed my lines, unfortunately lapped riders were coming into play and I was held up a couple of times. Because it was dry the lapped riders are a little bit harder to get by as they're not so slow! As we hit the last lap I realised I had enough on Tim if I stayed upright, and had somehow caught one rider in front who had blown up! (the guy on the MTB) I told him to block Tim as much as posisble when he catches him, his reply being he had nothing left! I pushed on to the final straight and realised I had a big enough time gap so I sat up and rolled over the line with a big grin on my face, as I knew I had finished in the top 10, which was my main target for 2018/9 season! I was ecstatic especially knowing that it was on merit not because riders had mechanicals, that and beating a number of riders who regularly place ahead of me, and only being a bit down on riders ahead who are usually minutes and minutes up on me!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2060654371

Time for Nationals next week! Bit nervous about it, but heading up on the Saturday to cheer on my club mates and help with pit duties so the favour can be returned for me on the Sunday!

Soldato
So the weekend that was - or wasn't?

National CX Championship this weekend at Cyclopark in Gravesend – a purpose built cycling heaven with bmx tracks, mtb routes, road course and loads more!

As the nationals are a two day thing I went up on the Saturday to cheer on my club mates in the Junior, Vet 40 and Vet 50 races as well as help with any pit duties that may be required – luckily due to the dry weather there was very little need to assist as the course rolled well and bikes stayed very clean. Once the Saturday races had finished I had 3 practise laps of the course! Taking it easy and not taking too much out of my legs but trying to learn the course.

Start Finish Straight at the top of the big hill!
gQ1jYw4.jpg

Riding it I knew it would be fast and frenetic throughout! Being a UCI conditions race I knew I would get pulled out of the race as they operate an 80% rule based on the leaders lap times, if you fall below this you’re removed to avoid getting in the leaders race. Unfortunately in my race I had Tom Pidcock, the current U23 leader of Cyclo Cross World Cup….

Warm up laps didn’t go so well as I attempted one section I burped my tyre and came off – luckily very slowly, took it on the chin laughing at myself :D Hopefully getting it out the way on Saturday would mean I wouldn’t do it on Sunday!

So Sunday rolled around and after a very average sleep I got up to the track for about 11:00 to watch some of the junior races prior, some overnight rain had made the transitions to Tarmac slippy but the strong westerly wind meant this was drying out quick. I got signed on and got my chip number – 11 or 911 (race 9 – no 11). Due to my lowly points I was gridded on the backrow – 80 out of 85 riders. (15 DNS’)

Got to about 12:45 and I went to go get ready putting my numbers on and setting up my turbo etc. I had lots of spare time compared to usual as I wasn’t need to pit like I normally would on a Sunday. Nerves had sort of gone by this point though as I just was trying to enjoy it and realised it’s just like a normal Sunday race just on a grander scale!

After getting the turbo set up and all my kit ready to go I jumped on my turbo at about 13:35 – 55 or so minutes before my race, extra early knowing my effort in the race would be as hard as I could from the off aiming to get to 40 minutes before being pulled. So I added long slow spin to get going and then moved into my normal warmup about 10 minutes later. Warm up finished about 14:05 quick change out of wheel and off I ride to the start pushing through the crowds.

I keep my legs moving and few small sprints to keep warm and the gridding started at about 14:15, whilst I was waiting the commissaire came round and was checking wheels and decided my tyres were too wide even though the measuring block went over, so I went to swap wheels to my more intermediate tyres. Just want you want! This got my nerves going again! But I had plenty of time and was back on the grid by 14:20.

As I lined up on the grid I couldn’t even see the front riders, but got ready for the long uphill drag to the first corner – picking an outside line based on feedback I got from the day before!

Lap 1

We were off! – Or not as the guy 2 places directly in front of me wasn’t paying attention and didn’t start which meant I had to put my foot back down. I took the start relatively tentatively as we hit the first corner knowing that people would be pushing and shoving and no doubt falling off – and I was right! The first transition to mud was carnage as I passed a good 5 or 6 people on the deck, I then moved passed another 3 or 4 in the next corner either in a crash or tangled up and then once again on the 3rd corner. I had jumped a good 10 places at least and was up to about 70th and could see my normal Sunday competitors only a few places ahead. I worked my balls off and made up places knowing I had to dig deep for as long as possible.

The change to the intermediate tyres which I’d never ridden before was actually a godsend as I had plenty of grip and they weren’t draggy at all on the flat smooth tarmac! As the first lap went past I was onto the back of my Wessex crew.

Lap 2

I went with these guys for the next half a lap or so, as I was on the back part of the course I thought my tyre was going flat but it seemed to stabilise so I pushed on as I passed the pits, unfortunately as I passed the start finish and hit the bridge it let out a bit more air (tubeless) and this meant I was running around seriously underinflated but still rideable luckily, albeit slowly, losing 4 or 5 positions, I pushed on to the pits where I swapped over bikes! This was set up with mud tyres, but I worked to get back to the group where I was, which I achieved in about half a lap, as I passed the pits again I didn’t think my bike would be ready, so I avoided it, but it was with my crew reinflating the tyre. Climbing up the steep slope I made up a few places as one person didn’t make it up which meant 2 more behind had to jump off! I was lucking into places but I wasn’t going to complain.

Up the start finish straight was such hard work this time around, but I got onto another group at the top of the straight and then used those for a bit of relief – I was on the limit.

Lap 3

First part of the lap felt like recovery – sat on some wheels and got back on to my Canyon at the pits. Tyres felt good so on the next section I got back on to the wheels and tried to work my way back up the positions I lost and time lost changing bikes – getting back to riders by the end of the next straight! It was a bit one by one for the next section- but as soon as it opened up I pulled past 2 riders, and then back into the main arena, going past one of my riders on the banked turn after the sand, and clearing the hurdles immediately after and smashing it up the next section into the big hill. Keeping to the right where the grip was I rode up it again but one guy on the left didn’t meaning 2 riders immediately behind him had to jump off! Bonus! Going up the straight I powered past another 3 riders.

Lap 4

As I was at the front I pushed as hard as possible to try to make it the 10seconds or so up to my main competitor in the normal Sunday league race. I was slowly catching him with my nose in the wind! And had one guy with me, he tried to go past on the straight but I chucked it in deep on the brakes to keep my position through the narrow section, he went past as it opened out a few corners later. This lap went in a blur and as I passed the pits for the second time I heard that the 80% board was out and I would be pulled at the end of this lap. Knowing this I smashed it up the big hill and repassed that rider and then as it flattened out one more! And I could see 2 more positions mere seconds ahead, so I smashed it allll the way up the start finish straight – unfortunately no more positions made! But just 2 or 3 seconds behind guys gridded 30 places further up from me. Not bad for 2 pitstops in a dry race.

My final position was 64th overall and 39th in my category – with most of the top 10 being locked out by U23s!

I was exhausted but very happy, although I didn’t hit my target of 40 minutes, but the pace of Pidcock at the front was relentless – lapping in 6 minute 30s – our leagues current leader got pulled 3 laps from the end in 23rd place – our league being one of the strongest in the UK.. Showing the difference in capability of the guys who are racing internationally!

The level of organisation was brilliant and the course although crazy fast was great – I was disappointed it wasn’t wet as this would have suited me with what would have been a number of running sections!

The race is here from about 4:16:00 onwards with my name check a few minutes later!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPRLoU-j_0Y&feature=youtu.be

No point seeing my strava as I forgot to start it and only got about half my race – but max HR 190 and average of 180 when I was recording!

Needless to say I’m aching a lot today, my left leg felt like it had been hit when I was riding in this morning!

Soldato
@SoliD - Superb. Well done pal :)
As soon as I seen results posted I dingied even the winner and went straight down the list to find out how you got on.

The pace of the front guys is insane at the big CX races. I genuinely cannot get my head around how quick they can go!

I don't understand why you were asked to change tyres if the check on tyre width was not even foul? If the very check they use to determine this was OK then what was the comm reason for having you change them?? INB4 "typical British Cycling nonsense etc".
;)

Soldato
Thanks, it was unbelievable pace and if you watch you can see him go and it’s just huge, not even all legs as the pace through the corners is a different level! Although he wasn’t happy in the morning as he had only turned up on the day and wasn’t allowed to practise the course in between races!

Well the width measurer went on but it flexed quite a bit! Because they were mud tyres they had a lot of edge grip which I think pushed it over! But I know of one rider who was told his rear was too wide and he just stood there which made me laugh!

Soldato
Well in mate, it looks actual mental at the best of times! Course looks quite fun compared to some that I've saw on Youtube, I'd prefer faster course with more concrete to get away with my crap bike handling skills :D

A few guys I know do cross and say it's basically just an hour at threshold with your heart near max!

I hate the blazer brigade side of cycling, you're an amateur bloke trying enjoy it and, no offence, no chance of winning it so why be awkward for the sake of it?

Soldato
Well in mate, it looks actual mental at the best of times! Course looks quite fun compared to some that I've saw on Youtube, I'd prefer faster course with more concrete to get away with my crap bike handling skills :D

A few guys I know do cross and say it's basically just an hour at threshold with your heart near max!

I hate the blazer brigade side of cycling, you're an amateur bloke trying enjoy it and, no offence, no chance of winning it so why be awkward for the sake of it?

It is mental but great fun! When I first started my skills helped me against the guys at my level, but now I'm moving up the placings I just need to get stronger and better at skills again! Got lots to work on over the summer! Guy I know who is an 18 minute 10 and 47 min 25 came to a few races and when it was muddy I'd be up with him because he lacked the confidence in the corners! The one time I was ahead of him my derailleur blew up! Was devastated.

In essence exactly that, you never get to recover, and your whole body is doing something the whole lap.

Indeed, it was frustrating, especially as I was starting on the last row. Probably a good thing though as the tyres I swapped on to were way more suited in the end but because I'd never ridden them before I didn't know what they'd be like!

Few pictures

PIGSY7c.jpg

That's Tim Doole behind me who I've mentioned a few times!

And then side on up the steep slope that the top riders made look like a false flat!
uGY6AEP.jpg

Soldato
Right then, another week another supposedly entertaining read of my race on the Sunday!

So after the 30 minute high of the nationals last week was over I begun to think about the last 2 races of the year in my local Wessex League! Monday and Tuesday was real achey and tired, that effort last weekend took it out of me, but got back to my set program and as the week went on my legs loosened up, no doubt helped by some massages from my Fianceé (hopefully she'll be fully qualified after this coming weekend).

So Sunday rolled around and it's the first really cold race day of the season, but still absolutely bone dry at a location that hasn't been used for about 15 years for CX. I got there early to help my club mates in case they needed some pit assistance but a lovely dry course meant I just stood around talking for 2 or 3 hours generally getting quite cold.

As my race approached I went and warmed up on the turbo in the lovely blazing sunshine. I got my warm up done and turned up to the start line fairly early, keeping all my clothes on for as long as possible for the slight uphill start which quickly turned into a slight descent and watching the previous races it would be rapid! As the whistle went I got a very average start, with the person in front not clipping in very quickly, but made my way from the right of the grid over to cover off places and then getting past Morgan Jones who is right ahead of me in the standings, I've been held up by him a couple of times in the last few rounds, so wanted to get by fast and onto the quicker wheels as knew I had much more pace than him.

As we got round the 5th corner I shot past on the slight lump uphill and onto Dan Atkins wheel, this was where I wanted to be as knew I could use him to pull me forward, unfortunately 2 corners later a rider fell directly in front of him and he got tangled up, I made my way around the outside and in the process dropped Tim Doole from my wheel! I then pushed on over the next half a lap and got onto the group in front which was made up of 6th - 9th positions. This group was diminished by one very quickly as a rider had a mechanical. I got to the front of the group as I didn't want to get caught by Tim from behind and worked with another rider to push on. One rider sat on the back for about a lap and then tried to push on on lap 3, this was short lived and we reeled him back about a lap later and then slowly dropped him, leaving us as a group of 2 in positions 6 and 7. We (David James-Brazier - DJB) were slowly pulling away from Tim D(literally maybe 1s or 2 a lap) and continued to push on, the course allowing no let up, as it was a bit soggy in the downhill bits meaning you had to carry on pedalling to keep moving. This unfortunately meant I had to constantly hear a creaking coming from my crank which only occurred when pedalling.

David and I swapped positions but neither really attacked each other as the laps went on. It got to about 50 minutes in and David tried to push on out of one corner. I didn't quite get the wheel back and he got a few seconds on the uphill but I made this up a couple of turns later. I knew I was stronger than him on the last part of the course so knew if it came to it I could potentially beat him by making the attack at the right time, on the next lap he said to me that he was hoping the leader would hurry up and lap us, I asked if he had seen him, as I hadn't and he said he caught a glimpse about half a lap ago. It was at this point I saw him, probably 15-20 seconds back, just as we approached the pits where I got confirmation from my pit crew.

I knew I had a little left in me, so if I could get to the line without being lapped I'd definitely have the legs to get round the final lap, and knew the two riders behind had been lapped so the worst I could come was 7th, as we got to the last part of the lap I attacked and opened up a small gap, I kept this going and by the time I crossed the start finish I had a good 6 or 7 seconds. I continued pushing on and had to shout at a couple of backmarkers, one of which almost took me down. But once past the pits I could see I had a clear run to the line, as the gap was pretty big I eased up a bit on the back half of the lap and came over the line 6th. This is my best result to date, and although a few quicker riders were missing I finished quite a bit up from a number of riders who I have struggled against in the past. Certainly helped by a better start and not having to make up places, the course also had plenty of passing places!

Hoping that adding some names makes it make a bit more sense, rather than rider, rider rider.

Hopefully another strong finish next week and I could be pushing the top 10 of the league!

Oh that creaking, that was 2 of my chainring bolts missing!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2092316636

DJB and I

rajpfnI.jpg

Soldato
Nice writeup and a cracking photo there.
Well done man, super ride. Awesome to see you write so positively and be so sure in your abilities/progression.
Get that league top 10!!

Back
Top Bottom