Race reports

Soldato
Thanks, the year has definitely seen improvement whether that’s my form peaking or others dropping but I’m now above riders who just a month ago I was struggling to keep with towards the end of a race and at the beginning of the season were a few minutes up the road,some mistakes earlier in the year have certainly helped my learning!

I Do need to work on my starts though so I’m not having to make up positions as I’d say my cornering is pretty good but outright power isn’t quite there so it can be hard to pass in these dry races! Lumpy courses like yesterday’s helps as I’m slowly dropping weight!

Waiting on new league table but it’s certainly possible and next weeks course is one of my favourites although it’s killed a few of my bikes in the past!

Soldato
So final race of the season…It seems to have come and gone so quickly, seems like just yesterday I was lining up for the first race of the year back in September! But 13 Rounds, 1 Regional and 1 National Championship later, here we are Round 14. I’d had a busy season contesting all but one of the races (DNF’ing in two), but with recent results was coming in with quite a bit of form.

I won’t lie, this is going to be a long post!

Pre Race

Going into the event I was studying the league table trying to work out permutations, following last weeks race I had moved up to 8th place, and was trying to work out if I could move up further, this seemed difficult, as the two riders ahead David James Brazier and Tim Doole were too far up, but mostly trying to establish how many riders could catch me from behind as only your best 10 events count and there were a few people who had only raced 9 events within catching distance. I looked at the pre entered riders and only 1 of those was entered, this was a good start.

I got to the event early, and despite the overnight rain at probably the boggiest venue, the course was pretty dry all over with a strong wind helping dry it out even quicker. Last year the start for this event was so muddy everyone started on foot for the first 200 yards!! The course starts on a boggyish section uphill, then drops down and into a sloppy uphill into a wooded section, once out of the woods you cut across a bumpy BMX Track, past the pits and make your way downhill into an off camber then onto the really dry open tree section, before climbing your way back up to the pits, across the finish line (which is about half a lap from the start) back across an even bumpier section of BMX track, then a long steady, in places sticky drag up, a few nice dry corners and back on to the start straight for the lap.

The usual pre race stress of helping out my team mates didn’t exist as no pitting was required, and we only had 2 riders in the earlier race as a couple were out injured and the girl I usually pit for was away on her hen do. This made my day very relaxed and good to catch up with some people!

I was keeping an eye out for those riders who could overtake me, but didn’t see any, so was quite happy! Did my warm up and ate a banana during it as my stomach was rumbling, this was a bit out of kilter as I try to avoid any sort of solid food, preferring caffeine gels and drink, but knew I needed some sustenance. My warm up place was right by the start which removed a lot of stress from the usual pre race format. Warm up finished, stuff packed away and up waiting to be gridded.

The Start

As the list of riders was called, none of the guys who could catch me were called up. Then I waited for my name to be called, and waited and waited. Soon establishing that the commissaires had the out of date average points score from last week! So I got called up 4 or 5 places lower than I expected, I wasn’t too happy with this and got a second row start on the outside, I ideally wanted the drier inside line, but not going to moan too much. As the race was delayed it was a quick 30 second call to the whistle! We were off, and myself and the guy in front both got some wheelspin on the leaves! But got going after a few spins and off, and slotted into about 12th or so off the start into a pinch point where it went more single file. I quickly made up a position and settled in to the wooded section.

Once this opened up and onto the off camber I made up another spot, past Chris McGovern scoped who was in front of me trying to work out how/who I could make it up to whilst the race was still nice and tight, I braked into a tight right hander, started to turn and splat, into the slightly damp and squidgy corner my front wheel slid out, I quickly picked the bike up and tried to pedal but had to jump off as I was getting no traction, ran out of the mud and made a quick remount, dropping 3 or 4 places. I slotted in behind Alan Collins who is an honorary member of our club and got past him on the next corner as he gave me the line, knowing he wouldn’t keep up. I then worked to get back on to the wheel of the next rider, but I was past him quicker than expected and chasing down my usual group of riders including DJB (see last week) and Dan Atkins, but ahead of my nemesis Tim Doole who obviously hadn’t had a good start.

Lap 2 and 3 Clawing Time Back

Over the next half a lap or so I made up the 10 second or so gap to the next couple of riders in 7th, 8th and 9th, I popped by 2 before going back into the wooded section, and quickly passed the other on the off camber, this time being much more cautious into the right hander I fell as on the first lap. I was then about another 6 or 7 second back from the riders running in 4th, 5th and 6th, Karl Norfolk (the guy I hit when I broke my handlebars) David James Brazier and Dan Atkins, by the end of the lap I was on this group, and then as we made our way past the start line I worked past DJB and Dan and pulled away, I got onto Karls wheel and stayed behind him in the wooded section. And then sat behind him for a bit to get my legs back. DJB had hung on but Dan had dropped a few seconds. As we crossed the finish line I was running in 5th. As we got round and onto the long steady drag back up to the start line, I worked past Karl and started to push on, at this point I actually thought Karl was a different rider who had dropped back after 20 mins last week, so knew if I kicked on I could drop him. So my kick on up the start line dropped Karl and DJB and I made a good 10 second or so lead. With DJB now the rider behind me in 5th with Karl looking to take a bit of a breather whenever I saw them.

Laps 4 onwards

After about 20 minutes my gap was holding steady and stayed this way for the next couple of laps, I was fairly tentative into most of the corners, as although dry, they weren’t the grippiest with my front slipping a little if I leant too hard. I had settled in at this point and worked to keep the gap steady and get a bit of recovery where I could, but like last week, there were very few places to do this, my gaps back to Dan Atkins and Tim Doole were extending by a couple of seconds per lap, so I ignored them and just focused on DJB and Karl behind. As we got to about 35 minutes I noticed Karl had jumped DJB and was starting to claw some time back on me. I had a brief minute or two thinking if he catches me sit on the wheel, but then a pep talk prior to the race from my club mate reminded me not to settle, the following lap I then had a slight slip at the right hander I had fallen on and had to unclip and foot down, this gave away a few seconds as I couldn’t then clip in due to the mud. I had given away a few seconds and reckoned it was about 7 as I crossed the finish line at the end of that lap. I worked bloody hard over the next couple of laps to keep Karl at a safe distance, calling out early to back markers to ensure I wouldn’t get tangled up, who were all brilliant and moved off the line. As we got to about 45ish minutes I could see I was gaining more time on Karl working my way back up to the pits, this was after a group of back markers, so can only assume he had got held up a bit. As I passed the pits I got the message I only had 2 laps to go!

Final Laps

This couple of laps to go was reiterated by my mum who was right by the finish line. I may have let out an expletive at this point as I was pretty tired, but knew I had enough in my legs to keep up this pace, as I worked my way back up to the start line, the gap over Karl was now up to about 20 or 30 seconds, but I didn’t ease off knowing that any mechanical could thwart me. Backmarkers were more prevalent now, but early calling helped! Knowing riders through the field also helps as I could call by name! That lap went fairly easily and then onto my final lap with a huge gap behind me. I eased off a little, but as I passed the pits my club mate told me to bring it home and ease off which just meant I pushed on harder! :D but the last minute of the lap I did ease up and crossed the line for fourth place. Over a minute ahead of Karl who had blown it seems on lap 10, and about 1 minute 50 behind Matt Wakefield in front who had finished 2mins 35 ahead of me last week.

Ecstatic! Knowing this was on pure merit and leg strength, rather than mechanicals and having the confidence to ride away from strong riders and carrying on pushing. This meant I was on the podium (extended to 5th) and earnt some money! (always a bonus in the cheap sport that is cycling…)

Been a great end to the season and looking forward to a couple of weeks rest to consolidate and work out my goals for next season, although that is a long 8 months away. (although my coach wants me to do a retest Tuesday) Now the eager wait to the final tables are released, but I think I will drop down to 9th. My mate put it into perspective by saying in other leagues that would have been a win with the strength of the Wessex League!

There are some pictures on strava which I'll probably add to as people upload them.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2107381995

https://my2.raceresult.com/116111/results?lang=en#10_FE003A

6y8OUBi.jpg

This is all people saw!!

mwC8cBG.jpg

TL: DR - I fell off first lap and worked my way back up to 4th!

Last edited:
Soldato
@SoliD - Awesome, well done! That absolutely has to stand you in good stead for the league? You're right to be ecstatic as you saved best for last and went out and grabbed it. Enjoy the slight down time from racing now as you have earned it. Spring is on the way! :)

Soldato
Thanks very much, think the win is a bit further away (over 5 minutes off the lead yesterday!!), although could travel to other leagues :D, may get some summer cross in.

I should do yeah, but unfortunately my good recent results probably aren't strong enough to bring up my poorer first half of the season.

My coach said the confidence is probably helping, and thinking back I have gone from thinking this pace is too much I won't be able to keep it up, to have the confidence to go past people and keep out front. It should certainly give me a good base for my TT season, although I won't be doing anywhere near as many the first part of the year as I'm on holiday for most of April, so will be training more up to that point to hit the summer hard when I'm back and focus on getting some good PBs and that elusive sub 20!

Soldato
Early start today being up at 6.30am to get ready and be there for just after 8am.

Signed in, got a warm up on the turbo and then started packing it away about 8.50am to be off for 9.06am.

I only had 3 pins so my mate want to get me another, I wasn't fussed, and I went for a ****. He came back and then went for a ****, 9.04am on my Garmin and I'm rushing to the start and he's a few hundred yards behind me.

Late to the start, 20 second penalty :o

Brutal, like really brutal, headwind on the way out.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2154795052/segments/54327974657

Once we turned it was then a beast of a tailwind

https://www.strava.com/activities/2154795052/segments/54327974657

I was getting shouted at for doing 34mph too fast as he struggled with that turn of speed for some reason. I love it.

All in all a crap time for 25.55 so 25.35 official time @ 23.5mph 331w average for Gary.

Not exactly aero :D

Soldato
I just wanted to beat our joint best of 24.06 best for a 10.

I did mine on a lumpy technical course and he did his two years ago on this course. That time he did 240w average for the 24.06 so gives an idea of the wind!

Best time of the day was 22.14 which I'm pretty impressed by!

I'd say I did bigger spells on the way out and smashed it more on the way back so my phantom power should be higher....:p

Soldato
First TT for me yesterday, wasn't expecting much as was out for my sisters 40th the night before and just wanted to ride it as its a TT 10 minutes from home.

It's run on the same course as Perfs (about 1.9 laps of it) which some of you may have heard of (first road race in the uk calendar) and you do 2 laps.

Got there and went to go set up and couldn't get my power meter working, luckily had a bit of time so swapped out the batteries and unpopped the plugs etc but still couldn't get it working - so HR it was. Started doign my warm up on the turbo and noticed the flywheel was sitting at an angle, hopped off and the nut holding the flywheel spring pivot in place had come out on one side. Couldn't get it back in so carried on as there was enough pressure, all in all a good start to my race :D

Got to the start line with a few minutes to go, and set off with my minute man not starting I knew I wouldn't catch my 2 minute man so knew anybody I'd be passing would be on their second lap. Got my head down and tried to settle into the TT position, I'd done a few sessions on the turbo recently but no real riding, once up to speed my nervousness about having an 808 front wheel in went away and the Felt was flying! as I got to the first climb I tried to hold the tuck for as long as possible and got 2/3rds up before my speed significantly dropped, sat up and kicked on up with my HR hitting about 180. I overtook a few people as expected and then had a clear run through for the next half a lap. Onto the first descent down the hill, I bottled it a bit and got my arms on the handlebars as the crosswind wasn't fun doing 40 and trying to hold the ski bars.

Through the first lap I timed 20 minutes to the the finish and 21 minutes past the start line and knew i was riding well, quicker than last year and aimed not to drop my pace off. Through the second lap I didn't have anybody to pass but got passed by my coach about 30 minutes in who started 3 minutes behind me, this was on the steep climb, he was sat up, I was still in the tuck, but he went past and carried on pulling away! I got my head down again and pushed on coming back to the descent, pedalling on to the finish I crossed the line in a 41:31 which was good enoguh for 7th, this was a huge 2:10 quicker than last year and placed me 7th, just 13 seconds down on 4th. Much more competitive than last year. I checked the results today and the majority of riders were about 40-50seconds quicker this year than last, so my power must have been good yesterday.

Main thing is, I was comfortable throughout and could hold the position easily which is a good base for the year. Not so many TT's this spring as I'm away for April and figure I'm better placed training and have a good level to fall off a bit and then work with when I'm back from holiday.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2155355084

Soldato
My first race report for the season. I signed up for the North Lancs TT Association event with 112 entries on the L1017 course which is a U shaped course rather than an out & back.

I haven’t ridden it before, with people telling me the wind off the sea would be tough. When signing on there was mention of some roadworks which popped up only today!

I think the recent good weather swelled the enter list as there wasn’t that many people there! I managed to Tetris my bike, turbo and all the gear into our Fiat 500. The TT seat height and the boot opening width is the most difficult and both wheels have to come off!

With the forecast varying by the hour I got there 90 mins before my start time to a dry course.

60 mins to go I got setup and did a 30 min easy roll on the turbo, insulated gilet and warmers on. Just as the rain drops started to come down I packed away and put the rear wheel on the bike.

A sneaky espresso coffee, put the aero shoe covers on and ditch all the stay warm kit! Roll down to the start and I had 3 mins to spare.

Going out there was a tasty tailwind, it was an undulating B road, I was riding the diff line for the cars or the right hand wheelpath, the inner path was too tough and metal covers for services. A few areas with mud dragged into the middle of the lane from farms made it a bit iffy. A mile and a half in, come to a slight downhill right hander that narrows to someone flagging me to slow down, cars, ambulance and a bike just pulled off the road... eeek. No time to look, too busy concentrating.

Get 2 miles in, roadworks on red, cut power and slow gradually, there was a Marshall there to time how long you were stopped. Nobody coming, by the time I get there a car is coming and I unclip, bang it down gears and almost stop. Marshall says for me to go, but struggle to get my foot back in straight away, wasted 30 seconds.

Almost immediately first left turn and into a substantial head/cross wind and blasted with rain, but hey, this road is a bit wider and smoother so all good. Dig in and power on, one tighter corner taken on the base bar for stability but all good.

Look down at HR and think it shows 164 (actually 184 rain on the Garmin screen and my visor), try and push harder. Ended up averaging 184 max 190!

Inside the last 2 miles start to get a stitch, try and ignore it but can’t, ride the base bar on an uphill pinch bit to try and clear it, feel like puking and like I am going to die, come round a corner and finish!

Average 295w, Garmin showed 304NP and 24 minutes, course record is only just under 21. Happy with that, decent power and position felt OK. Said earlier in the week I’d be happy with 280 so quite a way above that is decent.

Looking on Strava I am about 10/60 riders so far, no results at the finish due to the stoppage times needing to be removed & police were there about the accident. Had some instant coffee and cake, then blast the heater on full all the way home.

Edit: official “corrected” results have me on a 23:49 and 12th out of 93. In the middle of most of the Senior riders results, 5-6 seconds more would be inside the top 10. My Strava shows 24 mins with 20 seconds at 0 watts slowing from 45kmph to almost nothing. I guess it was the same for everyone unless you got a green, not an important race I was targeting, more of a test/shakedown to see where I am at.

No more races planned for a bit but nice to get the season started.

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought you did quite well seeing how yous were infront of chris smart and dougie Watson.

I would out you top 5 easy? I ride the A80 with Paul Welsh and you would be stronger than him.

Mad keen though, I've turned my mate down who wants to drive 4 hours each way a week on Sunday for a 3/4 race.

Soldato
I thought you did quite well seeing how yous were infront of chris smart and dougie Watson.

I would out you top 5 easy? I ride the A80 with Paul Welsh and you would be stronger than him.

Mad keen though, I've turned my mate down who wants to drive 4 hours each way a week on Sunday for a 3/4 race.

I've no idea what happened to those GTR lads Jonny. Something must have went really wrong as they would have been in the mix for the win.
The GTR lads that came 2nd I was surprised at. I've beat that Lewis Duff a few times on 10's and also at the hill climbs. Genuinely reckon without all the drama's we would have been pushing the podium but can't dwell on it. What happens on the day is what happens.

Have to be mad keen when you live 3 hours North of anything worth doing unfortunately haha. It's a balance though as I dare say we have far superior training roads variety up here compared down there and without a lot less traffic on them.... but then we have to do big travel days for anything which is the negative side of having the better training options. Swings and roundabouts.

Soldato
Entered a TT for a week on Saturday. Was panicking looking at the profile, a bit of googling. Scale was in ft and I thought it was metres! All good now!

Soldato
I've no idea what happened to those GTR lads Jonny. Something must have went really wrong as they would have been in the mix for the win.
The GTR lads that came 2nd I was surprised at. I've beat that Lewis Duff a few times on 10's and also at the hill climbs. Genuinely reckon without all the drama's we would have been pushing the podium but can't dwell on it. What happens on the day is what happens.

Have to be mad keen when you live 3 hours North of anything worth doing unfortunately haha. It's a balance though as I dare say we have far superior training roads variety up here compared down there and without a lot less traffic on them.... but then we have to do big travel days for anything which is the negative side of having the better training options. Swings and roundabouts.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2251784225

This ****, he's relentless to ride with between him and Greig sharing the attacking.

First Bundy tonight, felt hard as hell but we'll see how Thursday goes.

Soldato
https://www.strava.com/activities/2251784225

This ****, he's relentless to ride with between him and Greig sharing the attacking.

First Bundy tonight, felt hard as hell but we'll see how Thursday goes.

19:11 & 19:12. Boys done good over winter! I was going to go down and do that as my first 10 and was absolutely gutted when I seen the conditions.... then even more gutted when I seen the times! Missed chance of a good quick day :( My first 10 was meant to be this Saturday up here but standard end of financial year roadworks all over the shop have lead to it being postponed till later in the year.

Enjoy the nice fast group rides now they are back. Best time of year! Hope weather betters for Thursday and everyone gets their bunches on the go as planned. It's absolutely mental out there today!

Soldato
Aye the conditions must have been very good as everyone got good times.

A guy I used to be quicker than on a local TT went 22:13 I think it was which is decent.

Soldato
Did a sporting TT today the Barrow Central Wheelers from Ulverston to Barrow & back.

Nearly missed my start as the directions were pap from the sign on, luckily I had time to ride all the way up to the main road and back with a minute to spare.

I didn’t recon the course, so got the hill and had it in the big ring, thought I’d get over in that but got halfway and it flattened out a bit had to use the little ring.

A lapse of concentration halfway through and high wind meant I almost put it in the gravel :o

The whole course was very windy but even worse gusty as hell, following the coast road with a constant direction change. Felt like I spent more energy holding the bike straight than going forwards.

Still I paced OK, didn’t go out too hard, held a little back in the first half as it felt like side/tail wind and then pushed hard at the turn around to home.

273w average for 52 mins (21 miles and 350m) happy with it.

Rode my disc too, few times I thought I was being caught by someone else!

Soldato
Decided to not drink last night and give a good shot at the Royal Albert 10 today.

Got a shot of clip on bars off a mate, lowered the nose of my saddle and went for it.

Felt sketchy trying the bars from on slip but it felt good once I was over a slight drag and into the flat. Tried to go out steady and was at 23.8mph average by the turn, wound it up gently and then sat about 26-28mph for ages then up to around 30-32 for the last 2 miles or so.

Caught 4 people which makes life easier as you have something to chase.

23:34 so a PB after my 24.06 beat.

Will see if I have any photos later :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/2289325325

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom