Race reports

Soldato
Niceone, how'd the new position feel?

I saw Rob and James Boyman tied for 1st?!

I thought after a few miles, it wasn't comfortable, as had some niggle in the hips, but seemed to settle down and no aches or pains now, so think it's better!

I didn't hang around for the times, thought the rugby started at 5, so headed home! Where did you see the results?

Soldato
I thought after a few miles, it wasn't comfortable, as had some niggle in the hips, but seemed to settle down and no aches or pains now, so think it's better!

I didn't hang around for the times, thought the rugby started at 5, so headed home! Where did you see the results?

Just from what Rob put on Twitter, not seen any full results, but it'll probably be on the TT forum.

Soldato
Thanks! Thats a hell of a time, but to be expected following his mid week RP time! Be interested to see if my time changes, as my friend said he thought his was about 5 seconds down on what his garmin recorded.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Did a hill climb up the Brickworks yesterday, averaged 301w for 4.5w/kg and finished way down the field behind people I'd usually beat. Cracking out the excuses, my bike was making weird rubbing noises so think it was the bloody brake. I rode up it faster on my steel Dawes on the weekend and that thing weighs about 3kg more than my Scott. All round meh.

Off to Evans at lunchtime to buy bits to give it some long overdue TLC. If I put in a crap ride in the next event in 2 weeks I'll have no excuses though!

https://www.strava.com/activities/373614358

Soldato
Did a hill climb up the Brickworks yesterday, averaged 301w for 4.5w/kg and finished way down the field behind people I'd usually beat. Cracking out the excuses, my bike was making weird rubbing noises so think it was the bloody brake. I rode up it faster on my steel Dawes on the weekend and that thing weighs about 3kg more than my Scott. All round meh.

Off to Evans at lunchtime to buy bits to give it some long overdue TLC. If I put in a crap ride in the next event in 2 weeks I'll have no excuses though!

https://www.strava.com/activities/373614358

Ah the good old cyclists excuse book. I missed our clubs hillclimb last night due to weather/feeling under it. Gonna go for a ride after work tonight whilst the weather is good.

Soldato
Switched to clinchers as of yesterday. Trying out specialized new tyres as well, which first impressions are good. With latex tubes they seem to roll as good as if not better than GP4000s II's. At £30 a tyre a much better option too.

Read your blog, it's very difficult to move up in a big peloton when you are restricted to one side of the road. If only I knew the secret to moving up!

I try to avoid being in the middle as it doesn't leave you many options. I'd like to be one rider in from the inside or outside. The outermost rider will cop more wind, and if the bunch pushes across they will be the first in the dirt or on the wrong side of the road.

Soldato
OP
Ah the good old cyclists excuse book. I missed our clubs hillclimb last night due to weather/feeling under it. Gonna go for a ride after work tonight whilst the weather is good.

I try not to crack it out too often but last night was definitely one occasion. When I've finished fettling I'll ride it again and if the result is the same then I will accept my ineptitude.

Soldato
Read your blog, it's very difficult to move up in a big peloton when you are restricted to one side of the road. If only I knew the secret to moving up!

I try to avoid being in the middle as it doesn't leave you many options. I'd like to be one rider in from the inside or outside. The outermost rider will cop more wind, and if the bunch pushes across they will be the first in the dirt or on the wrong side of the road.

Yeah, thing that kind of annoyed me about getting in trouble was that this is the way I've always raced. Everyone is always on the left hand side, so if you want to move up you're ok to do it on the other side of the road providing it's clear, and dashed lines as opposed to solid. It's hanging around on the other side of the road that they have a problem with.

The trouble with that race was that the incident with the learner driver (the instructor was intending to make a complaint to the police) was that the comms weren't happy, and I think were looking to make examples of people as a result. Several others were DQ'd and plenty reprimanded.

Never mind, got three 3rd cat only races coming up over the next weekends so should provide plenty of opportunity. Getting impatient for a result now, had nothing for ages!

Soldato
So, 4Up TTT today on the H25/8 course which myself and a friend both pb'ed on last Saturday, (1sec for me 1min 4 seconds for him (54.27) The other 2 in our team are just slightly faster than me.

With the weather being so unpredictable the last few days, we were thinking it would be blowy and perhaps wet, but woke up to a perfectly flat morning, with a lovely warm temperature.

So plan was to have our light whippet get us up to speed then just do quickish - 45second or so turns. Whippet (Chris E) got a lightning start and I just about stayed on his wheel as second man, however 3rd man (Chris F) managed to let a gap go (few metres) Always a good start. First 5 miles blew through into a slight headwind going through in 10:45. Good rhythm for all taking quick turns, which then continued for the next 10 miles(10:08, 10:48), at which point I started to struggle, realising I had gone into the red too much earlier on. (dodgy guts earlier in the week didn't help) So I pushed on and kept wheel as well as I could just trying to burn myself, hoping to recover a little.

Unfortunately I dropped a wheel on one turn on a slight incline when our fastest rider rolled through hard on his turn, so was one wheel back, and then next turn around I blew up spectacularly, just as we were approaching the last roundabout. I tried to get back on around the roundabout, but just fighting a lost cause.

The guys ahead regrouped and pushed on, finishing up with a 52:57 for 6th out of 21, 4 of the teams all from fairly biggish teams. I rolled through with a 55:40 or so which is almost 3 minutes quicker than my PB. Team were very happy for our first attempt at a 4up.

Overall a good day, and just got back to the car as the heavens opened. Felt sorry for the later 2 up riders, although couple of guys I know got round in 49:04 as a pair, for 2nd place!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/874557162

Soldato
OP
Final club 10 of the year last night, missed going under 23 mins by 0.3 seconds. Pain. Happy enough though, power was way up on last week when I was tired after a metric and I feel like my current position is a good balance between aero and comfort. Considering I was targeting a short 23 this season on this course, a 22:xx would have been great but it wasn't to be.

https://www.strava.com/activities/376701629

Couple more 25s in September then that'll be it for TTs this year, over to hill climbs and track. Remaining targets are to go under the hour on the J2/9 and to see how fast I can go on the J5/8 if I get a ride (58:xx would be fantastic).

Back
Top Bottom