Race Suits on the road?

Soldato
Hi all,

Just curious how many of you ride on the road with a full race suit, be it 1 or 2 piece.

I always ride with a jacket, leather or textile and kevlar or textile jeans depending on weather but now I have my sports bike I am feeling the urge to buy a suit.

Obviously if I am just going into the city I wouldn't wear it but for a ride out and going to bike nights to meet up with people for a ride it just seems like the thing everyone else is wearing.

So those that wear them how do you find them compared to just jacket and jeans and those that don't why not?

Opinions?

Thanks!

Caporegime
I have one hanging up in my bedroom,used it about four or five times,wolf all in one

by the time you've struggled to get inside the damn thing the day is nearly over:(

plus it had perforations around the arms and stretch panels and when it rained it was like being naked,id get soaked

when I had it on I felt like I was in a straight jacket/restricted,leathers are great for protection but textiles offer so much more movement if you ask me

Soldato
OP
I hear you on the time thing, I am bad enough at faffing about with gloves, ear plugs and helmet as it is!

I guess the restriction depends on the fit and type of leather, cow vs kangaroo for example. They must bed in after a while like any leather jacket or gloves though if you stick with it any keep wearing it.
I was under the impression that the right suit would feel like you are not wearing one after a while and there should be no restriction to distract you?

Caporegime
that's true,they would loosen up with usage

it just felt odd to me being used to textiles,maybe I didn't give them chance

I felt my arms restriced a little in throttle movement and turning my head/shoulders slightly

kangaroo leather is more supple,but usually more expensive

Soldato
OP
Yeah it took about 300 miles for my new gloves to fit right, now they are perfect like a second skin, I expect a full suit would take longer.

Should try your suit some more when you get some nice dry weather :)

Caporegime
yeah id say try some and see what you think,id pick a two piece suit though rather than all in one,you will get hot in them and its eaiser to take off your jacket ect when walking around and that

im used to just chucking textiles on for speed really

Associate
GP Pro Alpinestars Black/White 2 piece.

IMG_3571.jpg

I always wear the jacket and kevlar jeans if popping out but if going for a ride with no intention of actually walking at anypoints then full 2 piece everytime.

Soldato
OP
Since nobody has said don't buy one you will look like a tit or something I think I will go ahead and get a suit and a proper back protector.

Thanks guys!

Man of Honour
Since nobody has said don't buy one you will look like a tit or something I think I will go ahead and get a suit and a proper back protector.

Thanks guys!

Like anyone is paying any attention to what you look like when you're sat on top of a bike as stunning as yours :p

Associate
Although my alpinestars one piece suit isn't that bad as keeping out the weather, my Frank Thomas two piece is far superior for road use. It even has a removable quilted inner & is quite warm in the colder months. Plus you can remove the jacket when off the bike, dangling a one piece down your back will stretch and ruin the back section.

I'd only recommend a one piece suit if you intend to do track days really.

Associate
I can't help but look at people road riding in full race suits and think something along the lines of 'you ****ing tart'. I'm not sure why, but it annoys me. Its usually weekend warriors with their garage queen sports bikes. Bleh... They still get a nod, but not many of them return it, perhaps they're too busy admiring the insides of their own arses.

Soldato
those that don't why not?
1/. It's gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

2/. I ride at all hours, in all weathers, every day, all year round, usually for work. I need something practical and affordable, which is currently leather trews and a jacket of leather or textile. Have textile trews, but not happy with the particular pair right now.

3/. I'm not racing on a track.

4/. I don't want to walk around half-crouched, as if I just **** myself.

5/. "Go-Go-Pow-er-Ran-gers"... should I continue?

6/. If I actually needed all that just for road riding, why don't other clothes come like it and why isn't it a legal requirement?

7/. It's gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

8/. Where do you put stuff? Those things barely have pocket space for a cigarette. I have bits & pieces & things & stuff, here.

9/. No-one does suits to match my bike colours, so it's pointless.

10/. I'm not pretty enough and don't have a cool enough haircut for it. :cool:

11/. It's easier to do running repairs and home-mods on the kit I do have.

12/. It's gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! :D

Edit: I also probably don't ride the right kind of bike for it to begin with. A closer match is a Ewan & Charley BMW touring outfit, but even that is a bit modern for my old thing!

Soldato
OP
But surely all the gear is a good thing regardless of how good a rider you are?

When I see a new rider on a 125 with full leathers and all the protective gear on I think they look smart and sensible, not a poser.

I think the people who wear replica MotoGP type gear is going a bit far, Rossi and Guy Martin stuff seems pretty common.

Edit: lol taskmaster, I knew someone would have those feelings :D and that is fine, there are a good number of people around here who have watched too much Sons of Anarchy and their bikes and gear look straight out of that show! I don't mind it though, always interesting to look at :)

Back
Top Bottom