Racing with the Hamiltons: Nic in the Driving seat

Associate
This could be a good watch. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01d7kpj

In 2011, 19-year old Nic Hamilton dreamed of following his brother Lewis in to motor racing. But as well as the pressure of being a Hamilton and never having raced a car in his life, Nic also has a disability that had him using a wheelchair until he was 16.

This powerful and intimate film follows the family as they try to help Nic achieve his dream. With unprecedented access we see Nic embark on a season that will determine whether he has what it takes to make a career of his own in the glamorous and dangerous world of motorsport.

BBC1 10.35 Tonight.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I've been looking forward to this since it was announced, I've seen the 2 Hamiltons on another show racing each other on SIM & Lewis Cheated to win. :D

Soldato
Look on his twitter account, there's an on board lap and he drives very well. Good lines and uses the whole of the track.

There's no doubt that the sponsors like that name, but it seems he is also rather good.

Soldato
His best finish was a 9th place, so I am not so sure I am ready to jump on the he is good wagon based on his surname, well done to him though to get into racing, very brave guy and a great example of how a disability can be over come, fair play to him hope his 2nd season is successful :)

Soldato
Throughly enjoyed this last night :) , got the impression that Mr Hamilton can be a bit of a **** sometimes though.. although it doesn't seem to have done his family any harm :p

Associate
A good watch, Nic is an inspiration. He just gets on with it

I don't think I ever have a reason to complain about a bad race day now

Caporegime
I was at Thruxton and did wonder why his car was blue. Never knew he had such a massive off, and then to go off again at the same corner! Thats gonna screw with your head!

And his dad seems to have got a lot of flack, but I think he was spot on. It would be all to easy for them to just buy Nic a spot when he's no good using Lewis' money. But instead he is treating him the same as he treated Lewis. To be able to stay in the sport, you have to put the effort in and prove you deserve to be there on your own merit. It may seem harsh, but it worked.

9th in your 8th ever race and after only 6 months of driving a racing car is pretty epic for anyone, let alone someone with a disability.

Soldato
As said it was a good watch, really enjoyed that. Nic is an inspiration to people who have a disability. It was also very good of the Hamilton family to allow the cameras into their lives.

9th in your 8th ever race and after only 6 months of driving a racing car is pretty epic for anyone, let alone someone with a disability.

Agree

Caporegime
One thing I am confused about, what is the situation with Linda and Anthony? When Lewis joined F1 all the hype around him suggested it was his dad on his own who supported him though karting, suggesting his parents were separated from early on. Yet that program showed Linda around a lot while Lewis was karting and there was no mention of seperation? Are they still together?

Edit: scrap that, Linda isn't Lewis' mum. Lewis' mum separated from Anthony when Lewis was 2. Linda is his step mum, and Nic's mother, making Nic Lewis' half brother.

Last edited:

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I really enjoyed the show & Kudos to Nic, Not just for his driving but to his attitude to his Disability as well.
The whole show left me emotional & with a Massive amount of respect for the lad.
I wish him success in Whatever he chooses to do. :)

Soldato
enjoyed watching this, except for the bits where mr hamilton seemed to be a bit of a miserable ****, put him in racing clio's which seems to be a pretty decent quality of racing, then complains when nic gives places back, seems a bit off to me.

loved the section when he'd had his big off, and him/lewis were round the laptop with lewis explaining what he needed to do/was doing wrong.

Back
Top Bottom