• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon HD 6990 leaked slides

Don
LOL.

I love the way this is most certainly VERY real now that BitTech have one in their labs.

Can all the people that confidently wimpered "fake" please stand up and be counted.

Or, alternatively, you can prophecise about NVidia's counter.....the 290.

:D

JJ

p.s. the proud owner of a GTurdX275 with no loyalties anywhere apart from his pocket ;)

I do not think anyone has questioned if it exists or not, just the slides.
Also is Nvidia offering not going to be the 590 ?

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
is it just me or does that say that as soon as you flip the switch to unleash the power you kiss your warranty goodbye. :p

heres what i think it says

AMD's product warranty does not cover damages caused by overclocking, even when overclocking is enabled via AMD software and/or the Dual-BIOS Function on the AMD Radeon HD6900

i do hope they test each card throughly to ensure it will run with those higher settings, else any issues they will blame it on being overclocked if that switch has been used.

Soldato
Where does the 450W TDP come from? 2x 8pin (150W each) plus 75W from the PCI-E lane gives 375W. If a slightly overclocked card pulls 450W it would require 2x 8pin plus 1x 6pin plus PCI-E power to fuel it.

My guess is that the TDP for real cards will be somewhere around 350W.

Associate
Where does the 450W TDP come from? 2x 8pin (150W each) plus 75W from the PCI-E lane gives 375W. If a slightly overclocked card pulls 450W it would require 2x 8pin plus 1x 6pin plus PCI-E power to fuel it.

I'm guessing that could be true, but also bear in mind that the 150w is not the max an 8pin can deliver. Its the max it can deliver within spec...
Thusly when you overclock by flicking the switch you void the warranty and AMD are no longer liable for ensuring that all components are within spec...
So the 2 x 8 pin can deliver 175w or whatever... and your pci express the rest...

Associate
OP
msi-r6990-cebit-10-sm.jpg

MSI R6990 at cebit

Permabanned
I can tell from seeing a lot of shopedewoops in my time that this is defiantly real :/

Tbh its right around the corner and i will beleive it when i see it, two 6970s are 50% faster then a single gtx 580 were in gods name are they getting a ni extra 20% from? from my understanding two seperate cards running 1 core will run about the same as 1 card using two of the same core's.

The word you're looking for is "definitely", "defiantly" means something completely different. :)

As for 6970 crossfire being 50% faster than a 580, that's really not true, considering how 6970 crossfire gives a bit more performance than 580 SLi.

Associate
I would love one of these, however I have a feeling that I will be bios switching a 6950 to a 6970 and then putting in a second one when I have the monies, so probably on about the 12th of never :(

Associate
TBH i don't really see the point of dual GPU card these days, I mean it would be better to crossfire/SLI two cards IMO, if you can afford these cards you surely must have a high spec mobo that can support SLI/crossfire.

I for one am very interested in dual GPU cards. Why? Simple answer: Watercooling and Cost.

It is often cheaper to buy a dual GPU card then 2 seperate cards in SLI/Xfire. It saves quite a bit of money watercooling 1 card with 1 waterblock in comparison to 2 cards with 2 waterblocks.

You also have to consider the benifit of saving room. What if someone wants a sound card, RAID card, and a network card? These are ideal for that combo.

Caporegime
lol so much for DMs " AMD give you the option to overclock and still keep the warranty " muhahaha

Wow, the quote also says ON THE 6990.

You mean, when they've said you're covered by warranty for the safe overclocking limits in CCC they weren't at that point talking about the not even designed let alone released 6990........ I'm truly shocked by that, really.

Not one for rolleyes but, here you go :rolleyes:

Its also shocking they've designed a card that can go ahead and draw over 450W, considering those numbers appear to be with powertune to max, and overclocked and overvolted ONLY at 6970 levels you can expect more if you ramp that up even further, then said if you want to run it at anything from 400-550W you won't be officially covered by warranty.

Cables can draw as much as they want till the PSU trips on that rail, if it has a trip on that specific rail, more likely it will enable OCP if a single cable starts pulling more than 18amps, which is why the 8pin pci-e connector has more grounds its basically a cable thats allowed to draw more current.

A 8pin AND a 6pin is MORE than capable of delivering a heck of a lot more than 150W.

450W is overclocked and overvolted as it says in the slides, stock its 375W maximum TDP with the powertune turned up to max, which you would guess means very close to 300W with powertune at normal(seeing as it says 20% but allows 25-30% increase in power on the existing 69xx cards).

Don
Can a single cable carry 18amps, are you sure ?

I shall have a look at work tomorrow and see what the current carrying capacity is, not sure what size the cables are, have you any idea .5mm², .75mm² ?

And why does more earthing mean larger current carrying capacity of a cable?

as we know fault current is worked on voltage/impedance which will give you the fault current to which the earth should be sized on not the the current carrying conductor

Please do explain to me, as an electrical engineer(Buildings) it goes against what we were taught at uni so i am very intrested.

bru

bru

Soldato
Senna any reason why you missed out some of the slides when you made the opening post?

anyway these two seem quite interesting

one to alleviate any what type of connector will it come with questions, and the other more about power-tune performance.

seems like it is 375w even without power-tune cranked up.

Caporegime
Can a single cable carry 18amps, are you sure ?

I shall have a look at work tomorrow and see what the current carrying capacity is, not sure what size the cables are, have you any idea .5mm², .75mm² ?

And why does more earthing mean larger current carrying capacity of a cable?

Honestly I don't know a huge amount about it, and its less about ACTUAL capacity and more about what its designed for.

Intel a while back caused the start of mult-rail psu's, which by and large were single rails split into multiple rails all regulated to a safety limit of 18 amps, this was dropped VERY quickly but a few psu's came out that were limited to 18amps per rail. There is a few REAL multirail psu's out there and as I understand it theres more real ones now than back then(this was around when pci-e launched iirc).

So 18amps was more the safety limit on any rail, and sometimes that rail would be saturated over a single cable and is largely the reason 18amps was dropped as a limit so quickly GPU's which really pushed 18amps over a single rail and they were getting worried about how much would end up down a single wire at any one time.I think we've tended to see better over voltage protection in psu's and probably more ability to even while allowing a single rail to go to well 94amps in some cases, prevent one cable taking far too much power down it.

More grounding, I'm sure does literally nothing, what it does do is lets gpu makers essentially add a safety check in. 8 pin pci-e plug, this psu has been designed for a higher draw on this rail and will be safer, the two grounds are just there so the graphics card can basically see its an 8 pin cable and therefore assumes its a "better" PSU.

I did know exactly what the wires in the cable were rated for but I can't remember now, they are generally standard 18awg, some use 16awg, I think its 16/22 amps for those two cables is maximum. You'd often see 16awg cable up to the first connector on a pci-e cable with two connectors on it, with less load travelling over the cable to the second connector.

Basically a 6 pin/8pin can provide an identical level of power, the 8 pin is only there so you're "generally" using a better quality psu when wanting to provide the card with that much power.

If you couldn't draw 150W(or more) off a single 6pin cable, then you'd see more than just 2 grounds more on the 8 pin.

Back
Top Bottom