• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon HD 6990 leaked slides

Soldato
I don't know why you guys find it so hard to believe the 6990 OC (not standard) can be 67% faster than GTX 580, sounds very reasonable to me.

This is 2 ~6970 we are talking about and remember crossfire scaling in the 6 series is awesome.

Sure take it with a pinch of salt as it's an AMD slide but it sounds in the ball park to me.

Associate
OP
It may look something like this

OgAAAP-6vRaAEfCICTlQV_YKpBRYst2F9QuTf0XkRv9xyNX0e46ihXdnupKMngJUayhAh8C9wGhgc6M7Vi4KEhMs5ZAAm1T1UFwVIfWsixyDzxb89_VX3Ju_nSQh.jpg

Caporegime
It may look something like this

OgAAAP-6vRaAEfCICTlQV_YKpBRYst2F9QuTf0XkRv9xyNX0e46ihXdnupKMngJUayhAh8C9wGhgc6M7Vi4KEhMs5ZAAm1T1UFwVIfWsixyDzxb89_VX3Ju_nSQh.jpg

Had to go check what 580gtx's were going for, I reckon the 6990 will end up around £450-480, though it depends just how hard they are binning cores to get the lowest power ones, judging by 6950's prices and power usage I wouldn't think it would be too hard to come up with decent cores.

Over 100% faster in Crysis(remember traditionally Crysis is faster on AMD/5870 vs 480 etc, while Crysis Warhead favoured Nvidia) for 10-20% higher cost will be an absolute steal in terms of value for money.

I agree with sentiments that dual gpu cards are fairly pointless. Watercooling isn't a huge deal, personally I'd never, ever go full cover block as they are ridiculously expensive and incompatible along with worse cooling and utterly unneccessary for memory cooling so two individual core blocks and a few cheap mem sinks will be the same cost on 2 or 1 card.

The exception is when the dual gpu card is available at better value AND basically at launch. THe 4870x2 and 5970 were available very very close to the single gpu launch, here you could have had 2x£200 6950's unlocked for several months already. Cooling wise on air for sure 2x cards will be far quieter with far better cooling and frankly if you can spend £450+ on gpu's you should have a big case with huge and slow fans that offer next to silent operation even heavily overclocked.

Caporegime
lol so much for DMs " AMD give you the option to overclock and still keep the warranty " muhahaha

AIB's at Cebit are saying rubbish to warranty being voided by overclocking, its ILLEGAL to advertise a function of a device in the states then void the warranty by using it.

IF you advertise a use of the card you can't then deny a warranty for being used in that manner.

I'd imagine we have similar laws here frankly and as such, warranty will be intact as they've said several times before and several AIB's have said for several years.

Theres also specific wording, they suggest damage caused by overclocking, most overclocked cards DON'T die of overclocking, if you overclock to 1.4V and 1.1Ghz and on stock cooling and it dies of overheating, thats your fault, if you overclock on water cooling and the dvi connector goes bad, that isn't damage caused by overclocking.

Us the stock setting or the OC setting and you'll be fine, go to massive voltage and kill the card through stupid use, why should it be covered by warranty, even then they'll replace cards because they won't know thats the reason frankly.

Caporegime
The exception is when the dual gpu card is available at better value AND basically at launch. THe 4870x2 and 5970 were available very very close to the single gpu launch, here you could have had 2x£200 6950's unlocked for several months already.

I didn't think the time gap between release of the 4870X2 / 5970 was any different to the soon to be launched 6990? Iirc the 4870X2 was released in August of 2008, a few months after the introduction of the 4850. This looks to be no different. :) However, I do agree that it has been shown to provide better value at certain times when buying the dual gpu card vs two single gpu cards.

Associate
OP
i saw situation where dual gpu scoring more than double in Race driver GRid

it was 4870X2 which scored around 80+fps while 4870CF was 60 Odd fps

How does this Happen?

Back
Top Bottom