• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

OcUK Staff
No it doesn't. It's relevant to me and 1,000's more who don't buy a new GFX card every year or 2. And it'll be very relevant to many many new builds.

If it is no longer relevant to you then wait till the higher grade cards are announced and pounce straight in to that thread.

You are spot on, 80% of gamers are still on graphics cards that have less performance than a GTX 960, if they all upgraded oh my!!!!!

Associate
again you're stating something as fact when - facts tend not to be on your side - specs very much add up to 480 beating 980 at stock - what it does after is the real question.......

Really I would like to see these facts... Last I heard it was comparable to a normal 390... I assumed the 980 was more powerful than a 390? I thought the 390 was more 970 level performance.

Last edited:
Associate
If someone can replicate that on a comparable card and post it we can get the performance comparison for that game at least.

Whose up for it?

I would but don't have the game.

Can't do a useful run, but looking around at benchmarks it would appear to put the 480 above a 390X and slap-bang on a GTX 980 (Witcher 3 favours Nvidia too).

Associate
That wouldn't be bad, but a bit meh for the price.

humbug seriously we know where the price should fall between 210-220 for 8g and 4g should be under 200 more around 190......whether we get gouged is another story.....

min 980 speeds for little over 200; and double ram; that's a solid deal; the icing on the cake will be how far it OC...and we've not even seen proper drivers yet

Soldato
A realistic price for the 8GB one might be about £230, which we have known since AMD themselves published pricing.

Not really. £210-220 is pushing it at its max for 8gb cards that have a crap blower i.e ref. £230-240 is where AIB come in i reckon. As AMD are trying to keep costs cheap so everyone can buy one.

Soldato
You are spot on, 80% of gamers are still on graphics cards that have less performance than a GTX 960, if they all upgraded oh my!!!!!

Had my 7950 for over 4 years now and its still doing a good job on the games i play.. will be doing a Skylake upgrade from OCuK next week and will be looking at the 480 perf on the 29th and will see how it all pans out.. either way its still a good GPU upgrade for me coming from a 7950, i just need to see how the price turns out more than anything else.. maybe sell the 480 for Vega when the time comes too.

My upgrade itch just keep getting itchy'er, its been a while :p

Associate
this guy..
this 480 will be a great upgrade from my gtx 960,bitching about how a brand new £230 card that "may" compete with a stock 980 is meh..lol you should be a politician.

this will be a great upgrade card for a lot of us,the price makes it even sweeter,and the icing? its not NVidia :)

Last edited:
Associate
humbug seriously we know where the price should fall between 210-220 for 8g and 4g should be under 200 more around 190......whether we get gouged is another story.....

min 980 speeds for little over 200; and double ram; that's a solid deal; the icing on the cake will be how far it OC...and we've not even seen proper drivers yet

That would be quite incredible for the price.

I agree. If it turns out to match the GTX 980 at stock, and in Nvidia-favouring games, that would be fantastic.

Would mean it's faster than both the 980/390X overall, particularly in DX12, even without overclocks.

That would be good for just over £200.

Back
Top Bottom