• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Soldato
The reviews are certainly inconsistent.

The difference in temps/power from one review to the next is very strange, ridiculous difference from one core to the next, drivers not limiting power properly, voltage incorrectly set or inconsistent thermal paste/heatsink installation.

Maybe inconsistent amount of "sponsorship" from nVidia hahaha

Soldato
It would have made the 8GB one £199.99 and the 4GB one £159.99 or thereabouts.
Frankly, I think if the exchange rate were better, we wouldn't see such a big gap between the 4 and 8GB. I have a strong suspicion that either the 4GB is being priced with super slim margins, or the 8GB is being priced with some extra margins due to expected popularity. Maybe a bit of both.

Certainly a £45 difference right now does not account for a $40 difference in USD, ya know? I'd expect the difference to be more like £30, meaning £170 vs £200.

Associate
Well I ordered mine so I'll be able to compare to my current XFX 390x very soon. I'm not that disappointed with this at all, everything is in line with the leaks and at frame-per-euro it's probably the best value card (brand new) on the market.

Anyone know if these are CF compatible with AMDs older cards?

Soldato
What I still don't get is why couldn't they just shrink the Nano and replace the HBM memory with GDDR5X? Better cooler and sort out the oc issues. For £300 it would have been an amazing buy.

It would have been for you. Large majority of the market (I'll pull out 85% out of my ass and probably will be correct) does not spend more than 150-200 on GPU. Releasing £300 card into saturated market will lose them money.

Associate
Well I ordered mine so I'll be able to compare to my current XFX 390x very soon. I'm not that disappointed with this at all, everything is in line with the leaks and at frame-per-euro it's probably the best value card (brand new) on the market.

Anyone know if these are CF compatible with AMDs older cards?

I don't see anything special with the value, 1070 is less than double the price and goes twice as fast, and even that card is criticised because of it's price.

EDIT: guess I exaggerated, now really twice.

Associate
https://www.computerbase.de/2016-06/radeon-rx-480-test/12/

The reference board are crap. Lower voltage increases performance and actually lowers power usage by 50 Watt.

Thanks for the link, I was asking on some videos if people had tried undervolting, because I find the perf/watt high (it seems almost on par with a nano out of the box). I believe undervolting may allow more stable 1300+mhz OCs on these ref coolers

Caporegime
That's certainly what drunkenmaster would like to insinuate here, even though that conspiracy level nonsense would be more indicative of fanboy delusions than rational analysis.

Sorry but exactly which words insinuated that, point them out, please, I'll wait and respond to the words you find.

I'm stating that Anandtech's review is completely inaccurate.... rushed and wrong, incompetent, dodgy board damaged in shipping or developing a fault after running, anything.

Sorry but look at the numbers Furmark 228W 53dba fan noise and 80C temp, gaming 296W 50dba fan noise, 80C. 70W less but fan noise is higher? Explain how that makes sense to you, have you ever run something that uses vastly less power and creates more noise and heat?

This isn't delusional fanboy anything and you suggesting such is both rude and frankly stupid. The numbers are right there, they make no sense. On the same note other sites are saying 2200rpm is the fan limit, multiple sites agree the card stopped at 2200rpm and the card is quiet at that fan speed. Anandtech gives completely opposite power and noise information to every other review I've seen.

Last edited:
Associate
Any reason why the XFX 4GB has gone up in price just now? Been trying and failing to put an order through for the past hour and finally put it through just as it goes up in price by £10 :/

Soldato
Was literally going to buy the 4gb RX 480 and the price changed from 176 to 185. 8gb a rip for what it is. Can't buy it knowing it was literally cheaper 10 minutes ago.

Soldato
Serious Question:
* If this card costs similar in 4GB to a GTX 960 and a good bit cheaper than some of the faster 960 models available yet gives much better performance is it a bad purchase? Do some people ever try looking beyond your own situations?

However to use the formula and judging by the way this thread went a GTX 1060 now has to bring at least 980 performance at approx £200 or it too is a failure. Even if it does, its still not worthwhile for a 970 owner with decent over-clocks as already they are getting similar performance on a 2 year old card.

Last edited:
Caporegime
IMG_20160629_152942035_zpsmlrovpc4.jpg~original

DHR

DHR

Soldato
Noooo!! I just hit refresh and the price has gone up :mad:

Was just about to order the 4gb :( will be looking elsewhere now.

Associate
Come to ask same question... i added it to the basket at £180 for the sapphire 4gb, filled out details and paypal (saying £180) then at final checkout/agree payment is was £189.

Why the price change in a few mins during checkout? Guess i'll wait for other sites to get the 4gb's and compair price if these guys hiking the price up.

Back
Top Bottom