• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Soldato
Disappointed on the price rise, we now know you won't pay for 30 days and the pound to dollar has got new slightly up not down since this morning

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Looking at some of the reviews, the 480 is crap. New node shrink but no big gains from AMD as of yet.

You planing on cancelling your order gregster? I could understand if you did. Card does not deliver on my conservative expectations and I am the guy who likes and wants to see AMD succeed so we have more completion.

I have made up my mind, definitely waiting a few weeks for my ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 AMP Extreme as I got it at a relatively good price. Should do the job for me until Vega/1080Ti.

Also makes a change, I have not had a Nvidia GPU since the GTX 670 :D

Caporegime
Two of these will outperform a 1080 by a tiny margin, at 440GBP it's the obvious choice for the price-conscious. At least that's what I am seeing in the benchmarks released today. And it's more like 60% faster.

The only argument I see evident now is that a 980 ti which costs around the same is the better option because it's s single gpu for similar results. Still better performance from the 480CF.

Crossfire stinks though, I wouldn't touch it again.

Caporegime
Does it? Didn't know 1080 is 3.5x faster than 480, is it?

The 1070 reference price is $379, 58% more expensive and about 55% faster.

So OK, 1070 may not be better but they are basically the same performance per dollar, which is quite incredibly consideration how much faster the 1070 and price is never linear with performance.

Caporegime
Quick Q for the defenders here:

If the £180 4gb 480 is a 380 replacement...

...what is the £240 8gb the replacement for?

Since they both perform nearly the same, I need help understanding who the 8GB card is for.

Can't be 380 owners because it's a price tier up. Can't be 290/390/970 owners as it performs the same/worse than those cards.

Caporegime
Looking at some of the reviews, the 480 is crap. New node shrink but no big gains from AMD as of yet.

Its just what i expected tbh, i said i wasn't going to fall for the hype this time, not after the Furys, a £200 1070, LMFAO! :D:D:D, just waiting for that next massive fail from em now, Vega, to make its appearence.

AMD are finished.

Soldato
Only reference cards?? I thought we were getting partner cards today also?

I'm going to wait for exchange rate to get a bit better and then get a 1070 I think. It seems like a tiny tiny drop in the pound whacks a large percentage on the price of cards. So here is hoping as the pound recovers we get a massive drop in prices.... Lol.

Soldato
And on some reviews it's within 10% of 980 which in real world terms (55fps vs 60fps) means no difference to the eye. Gotta wait for more reviews and more shops to stock them as now ocuk are the only place who sells these.

Back
Top Bottom