• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Soldato
So basically, we waited like what 2-3 years. To get another card that performs like a 2 year old card?

I mean it's cheaper yeah.... but damn AMD.... damn............

At 176 quid it was GREAT value. Essentially a 2/3 price cut on the 390s and 970s a month or two ago. Don't see the point in the 8gb card. It's a massive premium on the 4gb card for 2 more frames.

Soldato
At 176 quid it was GREAT value. Essentially a 2/3 price cut on the 390s and 970s a month or two ago. Don't see the point in the 8gb card. It's a massive premium on the 4gb card for 2 more frames.

8GB price premium seems really weird.

It does make you wonder how much trouble AMD is in if this is all they can achieve going from 28 to 14nm.

Its quite worrying for Vega TBH!!

Soldato

It's a perfect upgrade for a friend of mine I guess, he has a GTX 760, so it'll definitely be perfect for him.

For me? I'm disappointed. :D

Soldato
This is that DX12 multi gpu thing right not xfire?

I just went with the title/description.

Later reviews will look closer into it but again we already know the reference card is too limited in its cooling. So against the 1080 or even a 1070 is not going to represent what AIB cards might and they obviously have better cooling.

Not everyone will want X Fire but the price and performance makes an interesting comparison.

Soldato
Quick Q for the defenders here:

If the £180 4gb 480 is a 380 replacement...

...what is the £240 8gb the replacement for?

Since they both perform nearly the same, I need help understanding who the 8GB card is for.

Can't be 380 owners because it's a price tier up. Can't be 290/390/970 owners as it performs the same/worse than those cards.

There's also a 380x you forgot. ;)

Also, it's normal for the 380 to be lower priced now by comparison, because it's EOL.

Soldato
I'll bet the decent partner cards are pushing 300quid. As said before... What is the point? You can get a 980 or 390x for less. Crazy.

1060 may be in similar situation.
The point is the performance now for a new buyer is much less than others paid for it 1-2 years ago...

You want reduced price and even better performance not just better value.

Last edited:
Associate
abit of info for anyone that didn't know

apparently the 4gb variants are 7gb per sec on the memory

the 8gb are 8gb per sec, so the 8gb memory is faster

also its said that the 4gb have all the memory the 8gb and is disabled but may be usable with a bios flash.. who knows..

also managed to find a gigabyte rx 480 8gb version for £204 delivered but even at that price .. its still nothing exciting.

Caporegime
In some of the reviews it is barely matching a GTX970 and it others it is closer to a GTX980/R9 390X,ie,ones like the TPU and KitGuru ones.

WTF??

Mine is ordered but can't take delivery tomorrow as me and the wife are both at work and very busy, so Friday will be a fun day testing and putting it through its paces and a review of what is what and how it performs thereafter. Hopefully I will be pleased overall with performance though.

Caporegime
There's also a 380x you forgot. ;)

Also, it's normal for the 380 to be lower priced now by comparison, because it's EOL.

Only nV cards recently got a price drop.

The 380 has been, what, £170-£180 forever* :p (when I looked, months ago).

Some nV cards got a decent drop in the last few weeks, but even before that, a 390 was £240 for ages. Months.

So again, I have to ask, who is the £240+ 8gb 480 aimed at? The 4gb is OK; not earth shattering. But the 8gb - where is its market? Who is its market?

Associate
I'll bet the decent partner cards are pushing 300quid. As said before... What is the point? You can get a 980 or 390x for less. Crazy.

If the partner cards are at £300 they won't sell. There's no justifying those prices, even if it does end up overclocking like a beast. This should remain at 970/390 price points.

As said before at £175 it's almost a no-brainer. I suspect there was a miscalculation in the relative demand for 4gb vs 8gb, hence the price premium, but this is something we will never know.

Soldato
Mine is ordered but can't take delivery tomorrow as me and the wife are both at work and very busy, so Friday will be a fun day testing and putting it through its paces and a review of what is what and how it performs thereafter. Hopefully I will be pleased overall with performance though.

Its just really inconsistent - out of interest can you try undervolting the card a tad to see if it actually improves performance?? One of the German sites said it did(!!).

Caporegime
This is that DX12 multi gpu thing right not xfire?

Its Xfire, as its not in Dx12.

dx12off.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom