• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Caporegime
How right you are sir!

Looking at some of the crossfire results that are starting to come through suggests that you should not just buy one, you should buy two. ;)

In all honesty I am a little dissapointed that the RX480 is not the 390X/980 equivalent that we hoped it would be. However, AMD have never quoted that it was going to be. That was all from hype and hope on this very forum.

However, this morning after trawling You Tube I have seen what can only be called pretty favorable crossfire game benches across almost all games (6 mainstream AAA titles not withstanding, which do also have some SLI issues too or no support at all).

Has anyone else seen any RX480 crossfire benches and if so, what do you think?

Really, form the crossfire benchmarks have seen it is pretty similar to a 1070 when crossfire works but you are paying more, producing far more heat, and have all the issues that crossfire brings like stutter or simply not compatible with games.

Moreover, if a single 480 is pulling more from the PCIE slot than the specifications then having 2 cards could be really bad news for your motherboard.

So no, I don't think there is any planet where crossfire 480s makes more sense than a single 1070 unless brand allegiance is more important than price and performance.

The 480 works as it is, the performance to price in its segment is unmatched for the time being if you have to by new. Once the 1060 is released things could be very different

Caporegime
It's actually worse on the 960 since it spikes much higher but no one complained or had their mb destroyed yet.

1467278576107.jpg

The spikes are higher on the 960 but that isn't actually as bad as the average load which is considerably higher on the 480.

But I don't think it is a huge issues. the 75W is a minimum that the motherboard must support, a quality motherboard will allow much more, and over brief periods of time should be able to provide far higher power as seen with the 960 above.

A bigger concern would be if you wanted to crossfire the 480, then 2 cards both pulling significantly more would cause issues. I don't now if the motherboard would risk getting damaged but certainly there will be stability issues.

Caporegime
Really, form the crossfire benchmarks have seen it is pretty similar to a 1070 when crossfire works but you are paying more, producing far more heat, and have all the issues that crossfire brings like stutter or simply not compatible with games.

Also going to be using more power, if 1 480 on its own needs more than the 1070.

Id also stay away from Xfire, due to it having far too many problems, ive had my second card disabled for months and months now, only just reactivated it to play ROTTR, as surprisingly, it works fine in that, without issue, but once ive got it finished, be back to disabled again (till i get shot of em for a new single).

Got these 2x cards upon their release nigh on a year ago, and id say ive only used them in Xfire for a couple of weeks or so in all that time, its terrible, and i don't even play the latest games.

Last edited:
Associate
I am coming to think that they are using crappy binned chips, and defect chips (that's a given of course) which they have a ton of (hense the amount of RX480s available), that don't fall into the RX 490 specs. Finfet not up to top notch, not yet good enough to put the 490 on the market. So they are working with what they have. If this is true I expect a really nice 490 in 4-6 months. Remember they have probably been working with a meh finfet process, that defined the RX 480 and below (they had to bring out something...) for at the very least 6 months, but over those 6 months they have also been binning the better ones for the 490 and looking at the possibilities they have.

So in another words the 14nm process isn't bad it's just meh at the moment, and will definitely improve.

From a financial standpoint I find this completely viable, and to get down to a good price-point they had to go through GlobalFoundries (I believe they have a special contract with them that gives them special prices)

I genuinely believe that the Finfet process will be really decent in lets say +/-12months.

I find that performance wise these RX480 aren't doing to bad when compared to a 390, they almost have half less of everything, lower transistor count, fewer cores, half the rops, less TUs, and half the memory interface and so on.

It not a jump in performance per say (when compared to the 390), but it is definitely a major jump in architecture

Oh and on a side note, if I had a reference RX480 I would cut out a hole in that front plate and stick a Noctua NF-12 on it lol. That heatsink is really less than decent, only just doing the job isn't good enough imo

Last edited:
Man of Honour
People going on about the pcie spec, cards in the past have also exceeded it, 6990 in bios 2 mode and 295x2 being 2 of them.

It depends a bit on how you exceed the spec - we've had cards in the past that massively exceed the thermal and electrical guidelines but don't draw massively from the PCI-e connection itself - while in this case it looks like the card can draw quite a bit from the PCI-e connection in certain overclocked scenarios.

Associate
It depends a bit on how you exceed the spec - we've had cards in the past that massively exceed the thermal and electrical guidelines but don't draw massively from the PCI-e connection itself - while in this case it looks like the card can draw quite a bit from the PCI-e connection in certain overclocked scenarios.

it can become a problem to people that oc their intels using the base clock, as it affects the PCI-E aswell. But otherwise at stock (GPU) it shouldn't be a problem even on a cheap motherboard I would imagine that they put PCIE headroom also, you would always want to "overspec" things like that, then it just depends on how much headroom the MB manufacturers leave themselves. In all cases they should definitely reroute that extra power to the 6pin

But in AMDs defense they never said (this time around) that this card should OCed, XFX decided to.

Associate
Fair play to OcUK/Gibbo for securing exclusivity of the 4GB in the UK (explains why no other retailers have any stock)

There is no 4GB exclusivity it seems, just 4GB disabled by vBIOS on full 8GB capacity cards and unlockable by simply running an .exe file. Happy days for those who bought on launch day.

ellesmereXT-Flash.jpg

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-rx-480-4gb-video-cards-8gb-memory_183548

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-rx-480-4gb-versus-radeon-rx-480-8gb_183576

Last edited:
Associate
There is no 4GB exclusivity it seems, just 4GB disabled by vBIOS on full 8GB capacity cards and unlockable by simply running an .exe file. Happy days for those who bought on launch day.

ellesmereXT-Flash.jpg

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-rx-480-4gb-video-cards-8gb-memory_183548

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-rx-480-4gb-versus-radeon-rx-480-8gb_183576

AMD have already detailed this on Reddit.

They gave all reviewers a 8gb card with two different BIOS, so they could switch between 4gb and 8gb in order review both the 4gb and the 8gb cards using the same card, rather than sending them two separate cards.

Back
Top Bottom