• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Nvidia have not activated their async capability yet, when they do boom!

BTW,wasn't I supposed to get a free async driver for my GTX960 which some here said Nvidia would deliver - it seems missing in action,LOL!!

At least OpenGL seems OK in Doom,not the mess that is Vulkan.

This is the thing that bugs me. I said 2 years ago when Nvidia were talking about having more support for DX12 that I believed it to be unlikely, people asked why they would lie. I stated back then that they could say it for 2 years before anyone would know they were lying, but the effect of people believing it for 2 years meant more and with less people on Fermi now people don't care that Nvidia simply lied the whole time.

They started this with the ATOS benchmark again, promising an async driver shortly.... been what a year now, nothing. There is still no reason that a fundamental feature, which is effectively how the card would work by default, would require months of driver work. Nvidia lied about Fermi supporting DX12 and just kept promising a driver that doesn't work. They lied about Maxwell having async and kept promising a driver that still isn't available, they keep making up excuses for why async doesn't work in any real games but keep promising or implying a driver is coming to fix that.

In what world would it take them a year to provide a driver for Maxwell to get async working in ATOS, why would a crucial feature that AMD has been hitting you with constantly for the past 18 months not be supported straight away on a new architecture?

RX480 results vs 1060 were predictable as hell, release after, sort out clocks to win in DX11 and give it a cooler that lets it boost much higher/sustained than the RX480 is capable of. But that comes at a cost, you think AIBs will be happy about needing such a cooler to beat AMD in DX11 but lose in almost every DX12 game, sometimes badly.

The RX480 will come alive under a custom card, boost higher and sustained in all games, but what about 1060s? Will the custom cards overclock significantly further than reference is capable of? The FE edition already boosts over it's average rated clocks and a 10% higher clocked MSI gaming edition was about 2-3% faster in the review I saw, because the FE already runs 5% above rated clocks. So ultimately why buy a more expensive version.

RX480, AIBs will love it, you've got a card that will run significantly faster than the reference card and the reference isn't priced to compete against it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom