• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 5700 Thread

Soldato
Remember the days when you could get a card that was 50% faster, now its all x faster per clock, x faster per watt x faster per mm squared bla bla. Always some random caveat that gets slapped on the end so its not clear cut til reviews hit.
Only way to get noteworthy bang-per-buck these days is strategically buying used.

I'm mainly interested in Navi for what it does to the Vega market!

Caporegime
RTX 2070 with no spec changes on 7nm would be 85w - 7nm offers 50% lower power draw

The current Turing cards done on 7nm you'd be able to put a full size desktop RTX 2080 into those thin laptops and possibly beat a Radeon 7 desktop card lol

If all the power came from the die, still no, because I/O on the die still isn't scaling as well. The memory which is a significant chunk of power and the high bandwidth requirements means a lot of I/O power going off die still. Neither of those scale, one at all and one not well below 14nm just because the main chip is 7nm.

Put this way, a 150W tdp gpu is likely using anywhere from 80-100W on the actual gpu die. If you manage 50% less power at the same clocks and performance on a die half the size then you reduce that to 40-50W, but still add the 50W for memory, mosfets and a good chunk of I/O power which won't change.

CPUs are different in that the cpu tdp is on package only, it doesn't account for memory or the board power from mosfets/etc.

HBM is a huge power saving, which could mean taking for instance a Vega 64, that memory usage on board actually goes from say 30W to 50-60W for less bandwidth but from gddr6. That would make a much worse difference going from an HBM card to a gddr5/5x/6 card than from a gddr based card to a new card with a 7nm core and the same memory.

Soldato
Remember the days when you could get a card that was 50% faster, now its all x faster per clock, x faster per watt x faster per mm squared bla bla. Always some random caveat that gets slapped on the end so its not clear cut til reviews hit.

Soon to be: faster when RT'ing. No other big jumps will exist for "traditional" rendering.

Soldato
It is an interesting Die Size at 275mm2 - Polaris is 232mm2 on 14nm - Vega VII is 331mm2

This is going to be a very significant step up from Polaris for the mid range, we just need to understand what clocks they can hit on the process.

Back
Top Bottom