Radio 1 presenters to be fined for swearing

Bri

Bri

Soldato
It's not PC gone mad, it's totally unacceptable for a DJ on a public funded breakfast radio show to swear at children / families over their breakfast & he deserved to be punished for it.

Attitudes like yours are part of the reason that general standards and manners are dwindling into non-existance.

Caporegime
Yea agreed Bri. He's basically saying it's alright to swear on public shows and radio stations now because kids grow up learning to swear. If everyone had this attitude it would be hell.

Soldato
Bri said:
Attitudes like yours are part of the reason that general standards and manners are dwindling into non-existance.

i dont believe that for a second. its the parents who are to blaim for the younger people's attitudes towards life in general in todays society, nothign to to with the op's outlook in this arguement.

behind virtually every single child that grows up on the wrong side of the law, there is a parent who is unfit to be a parent. with the uk, and the world in general, tightening up on every single thing we could possibly do wrong to comply with this pollitically correct poppycock, why is it that our standards are dwindling into non-existance as you put it?

Last edited:

Bri

Bri

Soldato
Agreed, but it's the attitude of the parent's reflecting the OP's views that causes the problem, it is the same.

When the OP has kids (if he doesn't already), will his views remain the same I wonder?

Tru

Tru

Soldato
I was listening when Moyles swore at the lass on the phone, it was the funniest thing I've ever heard on his show, and I like the show anyway.

It was after 9am, so the kids should be in school. Non story.

Soldato
This isn't news, of course it is wrong to swear on daytime radio and the dj's know and understand this and do their best to abide by it. Occasionally someone makes a slip and that is always going to happen. People make mistakes.

Soldato
anything that lets them take money out of moyles pockets gets my backing, cant stand the arrogant ******

half a million a year for talking about himself all morning ......

Soldato
while I agree with Bri, i find it more worrying at the phenomenal amount of sex-talk there is on morning programs like GMTV..they talk about orgasms, masturbation, the lot :eek: .if that had been on when I was at school I'd have been sagging off to watch it :D

Soldato
Bri said:
Agreed, but it's the attitude of the parent's reflecting the OP's views that causes the problem, it is the same.

When the OP has kids (if he doesn't already), will his views remain the same I wonder?

i dont know. However i know i dont believe its right. He should be given a manly slap for swearing then left to get on with it. Society is all for punishing those that dont conform. smoking - ban it all. drinking - ban it, were banning smoking anyway so why not? swearing - dont dont it, think of the kids!!!!! when the kids learn worse from their brothers/sisters/friends/parents. sex on tv before the watershed - oh no, but let's give underage teens condoms and the pill promoting sex :/

to me, all this clamping down makes no difference. Whenever i see people my age tare-arsing around in stolen cars and breaking and entering, or generally being grotty little foul-mouthed ****s, i think WTF. Then when i see them with their parents and it changes to "yeah, it all makes sense now". what am i saying? i'm starting to see parenting-failure on a massive scale and i dont think its being tackled at all in the right way. Me personally? i couldnt give a damn if a DJ slips up on air - its actually funny when people make mistakes like that.

Last edited:

Bri

Bri

Soldato
Don't get me wrong mate, I totally agree with what you're saying about the parents / upbringing etc & on a side note I swear like a trooper at the best of times :D

Whay I do think is wrong is that kids look up to these pseudo celebs & they need to appreciate that they can be viewed as role models. That's what's wrong, especially as they're being funded by the public.

I also firmly believe that the, "what does it matter, they'll do it anyway", attitude is detrimental to society.

But hey, what the ****, I'll get back to my Magners over ice ;)

Associate
To a certain extent I define "PC" as demonising things that are relatively harmless and in previous decades/generations acceptable.

Swearing publicly/around kids/etc has never been socially acceptable and should not be tolerated.

Associate
Chronos-X said:
Why do we deem some words as being worse than others?

Really, why is this? When you really think about it, its quite ludicrous.

They usually refer to vulgar/banal stuff and thus are not polite to use in formal conversation - okay you might tell your mate to **** off in a joking way but you wouldn't say the same thing to your Gran would you?

Interestingly I read somewhere that the brain stores swear-words in a separate part of memory to normal words... Maybe they really are worse :)

Man of Honour
I heard the Moyles incident as it happened and it was actually hilarious.
You could sense the tension in the studio and he didn't know what to do next.
People make mistakes and that was a big un and he knew it and couldn't stop apologising.
The following day the team were on about something and it got a bit risque and the sound went off then came back on about 30 seconds later.
They skirted around the issue but I'm positive someone pressed the big red button.

And no, swear words shouldn't be used on daytime radio and I even think the word crap shouldn't be used.

Permabanned
Johanson said:
I knew most swear words when i was 4, its no biggie!

Yeah but I dont think theres much worse when you see young kids eg 7 years olds screaming at their parents telling them to f off :/

Well doen for this fine, yes kids will eventually learn swear words etc etc but it doesnt make it right or nice.

Soldato
This doesn’t seem like that big a deal really. I’m sure it says in the DJ’s contracts that they are not allowed to broadcast swearing, so fining for breaking those terms would not seem unreasonable. On the other hand I would hate to see British broadcasting end up in the same state as in the USA where the FCC stick their oar in at every available opportunity and impose ridiculous fines.

Back
Top Bottom