Radio 1 presenters to be fined for swearing

Caporegime
Swearies should not be used on breakfast radio imo.

'Crap' I think is fine as long as its used sparingly and light-heartedly but anything else of a more potent nature... no way.

Would you get kids TV presenters swearing on kids TV live on air at 9am?

EDIT - I also swear like a trooper.

Last edited:

Tru

Tru

Soldato
dmpoole said:
I heard the Moyles incident as it happened and it was actually hilarious.
You could sense the tension in the studio and he didn't know what to do next.
People make mistakes and that was a big un and he knew it and couldn't stop apologising.
The following day the team were on about something and it got a bit risque and the sound went off then came back on about 30 seconds later.
They skirted around the issue but I'm positive someone pressed the big red button.

And no, swear words shouldn't be used on daytime radio and I even think the word crap shouldn't be used.

I normally listen to most of the show and I don't remember that, if it was in the first half of the show I may have missed it though. I do remember the phone in comp the day after, the banter was being kept to a minimum which was hilarious in itself.

Swear words are commonplace in the matinée movies on C4 and Five but they're largely ignored.

Soldato
Tru said:
I normally listen to most of the show and I don't remember that, if it was in the first half of the show I may have missed it though. I do remember the phone in comp the day after, the banter was being kept to a minimum which was hilarious in itself.

Swear words are commonplace in the matinée movies on C4 and Five but they're largely ignored.

someone shouted you ******* (the b-word) on Corrie at 7.30 and no-one batted an eyelid iirc.

Man of Honour
Tru said:

How about the simpsons refering to someone as a word that sound a bit like "Anchor"

It's common place not to notice swearwords now. Heard them in some peak time shows that lots of kids watch...

And then...there's South Park... ;)

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
i know nothing said:
What did he say?

Ofcom said:
Chris Moyles
BBC Radio 1, 17 January, 14 and 20 February 2006, various times

Introduction

17 January 2006 , approx 08:42

A listener objected to an item in which the presenter discussed people who urinated in the shower. He considered that the presenter’s reference to women who did this as “dirty ladies of the night” was unacceptable at this time of the morning.

14 February 2006 approx 08:21

A listener objected to a guest’s use of the words “wee wee” and “ the act of slapping someone on the top of their forehead” during an interview.

20 February 2006 approx 09:52

Four complainants objected to the use of the word “loving_fini” by the presenter during a conversation with a listener who had called in. The presenter was heard to say: “You’ve got some kids from some loving_fini….” He immediately realised his mistake and made a number of apologies for his language.

Response

The BBC assured us that since these programmes were broadcast, new procedures have been introduced by Radio 1. In future, presenters who accidentally swore or used other offensive language on air would be subject to disciplinary measures. Should this happen twice within twelve months, the presenter would suffer a financial penalty. Programme teams had also been reminded of the existing guidance on how to deal with offensive language from contributors, which included the possibility of persistent offenders being taken off air.

The BBC said that the Controller of Radio 1 has raised the issue of language with this presenter, who had given an assurance that his use of language would be more carefully managed. The Controller would continue, as part of his wider communication with presenters and staff, to emphasise the need to maintain a careful balance between creating an entertaining and authentic service for young listeners and using language that might cause harm and offence to others.

In specific reference to two of the three programmes in question, the BBC said:

14 February 2006

The BBC pointed out that the presenter had rebuked the guest for his language.

20 February 2006

The BBC wished to apologise for the offence caused by the language. It was made clear to the presenter and the executive producer immediately after the programme that such language was not acceptable. The presenter was himself upset and angry that he had made such a slip.

Decision

17 January 2006

The presenter invited female listeners to text in and say whether they urinated in the shower. A large number of texts were received and the presenter said: “Thank you very much ladies, I shouldn’t really say ladies – you all pee in the shower, you dirty ladies of the night.”. Although its use was clearly meant to be light-hearted, this is a word which research suggests is found offensive, particularly by women. Its use, while intended to be humorous, was inappropriate for a breakfast programme that attracts a child audience and in breach of Rule 1.5.

14 February 2006

The use of the words “wee wee” and “slap someone on the forehead” was not altogether suitable in this context, when children were particularly likely to be listening. However, we acknowledge that the presenter had asked the guest not to swear. We also welcome the reminder given to production teams about how to deal with language from contributors. We consider the matter resolved.

20 February 2006

While the use of the word “loving_fini” was clearly a slip of the tongue and was followed by a number of apologies, it was nevertheless unacceptable, given the context and that audience figures suggest, as it was still half-term for some schools, 46000 children were still listening to the programme from 09:30-10:00. This was in breach of Rule 1.14.

Breach of 1.5, resolved and breach of 1.14 (respectively)
Scott Mills
BBC Radio 1, 2 February 2006, approx 16:48

Introduction

A listener complained about a ‘wind-up’ call that was made by the co-presenter for the stated purpose of gaining ‘revenge’ on behalf of a listener. On this occasion a listener had nominated his partner for a ‘revenge’ call after she mistakenly threw away his football tickets. The co-presenter rang the woman at home and pretended to be from an after-school club that her son was due to attend. He then outlined what he said were the “rules of the club” which included: “Rule 1: I don’t take any ****” and “Rule 2: Shut the **** up” and referred to the woman’s son as a little ****. As the exchange continued, the co-presenter called the woman an idiot and she became increasingly angry and upset. The co-presenter finally revealed his identity and explained that the woman had been ‘set up’.

The complainant objected to the call on the following grounds:

* the co-presenter frequently swore during the call, which was inappropriate for this time of day even though this was bleeped for broadcast;
* the co-presenter’s manner was hectoring and aggressive;
* it was inappropriate for the co-presenter to pretend that he was calling from an after-school club and make offensive remarks when it was clear that a child was in the room.

Response

The BBC said that a senior manager responsible for the show heard the item and immediately rang the studio to make clear to the team that it was unacceptable. As a result of this incident, the broadcaster had re-evaluated what was acceptable for Radio 1 to transmit at this time of day. While on-air ‘pranks’ would continue to be a feature of the show, it had been made clear to all concerned that they will not in future include large amounts of strong language, even if bleeped, and that this particular call had crossed the line.

The BBC also accepted that it was not appropriate to treat a member of the public in this way and wished to apologise for any offence the item caused.

Decision

We asked the broadcaster to comment on the item with reference to the following rules of Ofcom’s Broadcasting Code:

1.5 Radio broadcasters must have particular regard to times when children are particularly likely to be listening .

2.3 In applying generally accepted standards broadcasters must ensure that material which may cause offence is justified by the context. Such material may include, but is not limited to, offensive language, violence, sex, sexual violence, humiliation, distress, violation of human dignity, discriminatory treatment or language (for example on the grounds of age, disability, gender, race, religion, beliefs and sexual orientation). Appropriate information should also be broadcast where it would assist in avoiding or minimising offence.

Wind-up scenarios are a common feature of many radio stations’ programming output and they are generally good-natured.

On this occasion, the co-presenter called the woman pretending to be from an after-school club that her young son was due to attend. When the co-presenter said that he had called to explain the club’s rules, understandably, she was keen to ensure that she understood the rules that her son would have to abide by. She went off to get a pen to write the rules down. Then the co-presenter started to speak in an overtly aggressive manner, swearing (although this was bleeped for broadcast) and using offensive language to describe the rules of the club, which included: Rule 1: ‘I don’t take any poopy [bleeped]’; Rule 2; ‘Shut the giraffe up [bleeped]’. At this point he told her that she might want to pass that particular rule onto her ‘little angel [bleeped]’. The woman was shocked and clearly objected, particularly as her son was in the room (at one point she could be heard asking her son to go into another room).

Given the circumstances, the call made for, at the least, very uncomfortable listening. Although the swearing was bleeped, the frequency and severity of the language was clear. Furthermore, the tone of the call was aggressive and unpleasant. Ofcom had not received a complaint from the mother, and so whether permission was given by her to broadcast the conversation was not a matter of this investigation. Nevertheless, she clearly appeared at the time of the broadcast to be distressed, angry and upset. The item was not suitable for broadcast when children were likely to be listening and was therefore in breach of Rules 1.3 and 1.5 of the Code. Moreover, we consider that the treatment of the woman in this way caused offence and breached generally accepted standards and was therefore in breach of Rule 2.3.

While we welcome the steps taken by the broadcaster to address the issues raised by this item, we were nevertheless concerned that adequate production procedures were not already in place to identify that this pre-recorded item was clearly unsuitable for broadcast.

Breach of Rules 1.5 and 2.3

We consider that the above broadcast resulted from a serious misjudgement. It is the latest in a number of findings against Radio 1. During the last year, we have published five findings concerning swearing and/or inappropriately scheduled content. Two cases were in breach of the relevant Code. A further three cases were resolved due to action taken by the broadcaster. We appreciate the wide choice of content that is broadcast by the station, but we have concerns about the number and, in some cases, the seriousness of compliance issues that have arisen. We recognise that Radio 1 aims to produce imaginative and innovative programming but the station also attracts a wide-ranging audience, including large numbers of children. It is, therefore, important that the station’s compliance reflects this. Any future similarly serious compliance issues may result in the consideration of further regulatory action.

Tbh none of them really seem Chris Moyles fault. I don't have a problem with the shower comment and the other objectionable word that Chris said was by accident - and he apologised after.

fini

Last edited:
Suspended
sweaking in link
Tbh none of them really seem Chris Moyles fault. I don't have a problem with the shower comment and the other objectionable word that Chris said was by accident - and he apologised after.

fini

If you ever wanted to know what the trisha-watching, unemployed, crosseyed masses of society filled their days with, that site is your answer. :rolleyes:

Bri

Bri

Soldato
fini said:
link

fini

Not a great idea to post the link is it? If it's not suitable for the BBC, it's certainly not suitable for the sensitive ears of OCUK :p

Last edited:
Soldato
What I don't get is how they think a that a child is going pickup a swear word of the radio, and then go and use it.

Also there was some bint complaining about Radio 4 how they had run two programs about sex (etc) on the same night during half term and her two children had listened to them, saying that 4 should have taken into consent the fact that it was half term. Well wtf they were on at 10pm :rolleyes:

Suspended
Bri said:
Not a great idea to post the link is it? If it's not suitable for the BBC, it's certainly not suitable for the sensitive ears of OCUK :p

Is this not necessary to the debate? I'm sure we're all civilised enough to read up on the actual issue. After all, we chastised "the muslims" for protesting about cartoons they wouldn't even look at.

Last edited:

Bri

Bri

Soldato
Chronos-X said:
Is this not necessary to the debate? I'm sure we're all civilised enough to read up on the actually issue. After all, we chastised "the muslims" for protesting about cartoons they wouldn't even look at.

While I agree with what you're saying, I'm sure the powers that be will deem it an inappropriate.

Tru said:
It was after 9am, so the kids should be in school. Non story.

Ofcom said:
While the use of the word ******* was clearly a slip of the tongue and was followed by a number of apologies, it was nevertheless unacceptable, given the context and that audience figures suggest, as it was still half-term for some schools, 46000 children were still listening to the programme from 09:30-10:00.

Man of Honour
fini said:
link

fini

The thing is that the conversation was going on quite a while and the decibels were getting higher which made for typical Moyles radio and then he just came out with that statement in the heat of the moment. At that moment the other 6,999,996 listeners were laughing their heads off at him being apologetic.

Back
Top Bottom