Radio Two listeners

Associate
Vine is very negative IMO, and the people that call in do my head in.

Caller that best epitomised the show started with "I don't know much about it, and haven't read anything, but......"

I do listed occasionally to radio 2 during morning/evening commute. For the most part I like Zoe far more than Chris Evans, but I do miss Simon Mayo.

Soldato
Yup I have Radio 2 on in the background all day. At 42 Im probably the right age for it. I actually increasingly enjoy the radio, I think in a world where we have every song at our finger tips on a streaming service its nice to defer the decision making process to someone else!!

D4N

D4N

Associate
Since I broke the DAB aerial in my car and I’m stuck with FM, I’ve been listening to radio 4 on the way home from work. They have some really interesting stuff on there.

Associate
I actually work from home 2 days a week here in Perth and listen to R2 on my Google Home. I get your graveyard shift though so listen to OJ Borg, Fearne Cotton (who is on as I type this), Vanessa Feltz (or Nicky Chapman when she stands in) and Zoe Ball. I never used to like Vanessa Feltz but I quite like her on R2. I don’t think anyone can describe a sunrise as beautifully as she can. Still throws me out though when the traffic news comes on and I hear of issues in the Stoke area (where I am from)!! :p

Soldato
Dont worry guys when youve had enough of Radio 2 the Guardian has your back. :p

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...-radio-2-10-of-the-best-online-radio-stations
Had enough of Radio 2? 10 of the best online radio stations.

These weeks of locked-down working and living at home mean, for many, immersion in our housemates’ Zoom meetings through the walls, neighbours’ workouts shaking our ceilings, children’s cries for homework help, or – if you are lucky – the eerie silence of living alone. Whatever the scenario, our lives demand a soundtrack: something to drown out the surrounding noise or to fill the gaps usually punctuated by office murmurations and casual conversation.

Over the past decade, online radio has seen huge growth. No longer restricted by the need for an FM transmitter or a DAB licence, a host of global music and chatter is now available through our laptop speakers. If you have found yourself at the end of your tether with Spotify playlists and the usual BBC or Global Radio fare, here is a selection of some of the best alternative music radio stations to turn on and tune in to.

Soldato
Can't believe pop master is still going. Used to listen to radio 2 at work from 99-2010. Radio over here is hit and miss. Usually listen to audio books or sirius xm.

Caporegime
Jeremy vine could have an argument with a wall and someone would feel obligated to call in. Steve Wright is still doing what he did at radio one 30 years ago and somehow getting away with it. I’m convinced every single caller is prompted to say ‘love the show Steve!’ By the producers before being allowed to go on the air. I think my problem is I need something a bit newer than radio 2 but not radio one. I have no real interest in 50’s, 60’s and even to an extent 70’s unless they’re real classics. I find myself listening to heart 90’s (no DJ’s!), Absolute Radio and Virgin Radio in the car.

Associate
Steve Wright is the worst of the lot I hate him and his unfunny quips he makes with a passion. I remember when Mark and Lard had the afternoon on Radio 1 they where great, get them on Radio 2 and I would listen but that is not going to happen

Associate
Generally stick with absolute 80s and 90s. Can't stand radio 2. They're clearly trying to pick up the older radio 1 listeners now and the DJs blow. Getting rid of Simon mayo for that vaccuous moron at drive time was the last straw.

Quick plug for radio 4ex though. No music at all, just reruns of 60s and 70s comedy shows and plays. Sherlock Holmes and dad's army fill in for Steve Wright quite well.

Soldato
I don't mind radio 2 but Zoe just puts me off straight away so I come back after. The playlist jump between R1 to R2 is stupid though, i'm too old for R1 but not old enough for R2 some days. Worse at work as we end up listening to Heart which has a playlist of 7 records.

Soldato
Cerys Matthews and Iggy Pop shows are always worth a listen. There's always a track that blows you away every episode.

Iggy, Tom Ravenscroft, Cerys Matthews, Tom Robinson, Craig Charles, Gilles Peterson, Guy Garvey are all class on 6, different styles so depends on the mood. Cilian Murphy's shows have been really good too.

Ravenscroft plays the best new music (taking on the mantle from his dad, John Peel). Iggy is just a great presenter, so many stories to tell, and that voice....

Soldato
Since I broke the DAB aerial in my car and I’m stuck with FM, I’ve been listening to radio 4 on the way home from work. They have some really interesting stuff on there.

Some really good, random shows on Radio 4. It reminds me that actually there are lots of knowledgeable people in the world that have sensible, informed opinions and can have grown-up discussions....which you can kinda forget on the internet :p

Caporegime
I don't mind radio 2 but Zoe just puts me off straight away so I come back after. The playlist jump between R1 to R2 is stupid though, i'm too old for R1 but not old enough for R2 some days. Worse at work as we end up listening to Heart which has a playlist of 7 records.
That’s the problem, I’m stuck in the middle. Radio 2 haven’t changed their play style at all since it launched in 1967. Basically if it’s too old for radio 1, which generally means anything older than a year, it belongs on radio 2 but someone like me, born in the 70’s but only really into music from the mid to late 80’s onwards gets too much 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. When we were on the office we generally listened to absolute radio due to their no repeat work day.

Soldato
I think my problem is I need something a bit newer than radio 2 but not radio one. I have no real interest in 50’s, 60’s and even to an extent 70’s unless they’re real classics. I find myself listening to heart 90’s (no DJ’s!), Absolute Radio and Virgin Radio in the car.

Try Radio 6, I'll have it on at work when I can or sometimes if I'm cooking and it's great, if nothing else because they tend to shy away from the more mainstream/pop crap.

D4N

D4N

Associate
Some really good, random shows on Radio 4. It reminds me that actually there are lots of knowledgeable people in the world that have sensible, informed opinions and can have grown-up discussions....which you can kinda forget on the internet :p

Exactly. I like The Infinite Monkey Cage with Brian Cox, and I forget what it was called, but I have listened to some good comedy shows on there too!

Back
Top Bottom