RAID 0 advice please

Associate
Hi all , I would like to try to create a Raid 0 array . After I have set up the array in BIOS , can I clone my original C drive onto the array ?

Associate
On what sort of drives is it created i.e nvme? Also yes you can clone original to the raid array, but before you do make sure you have the raid driver installed in that OS so that is sees the new array you have created. Otherwise it will not boot as the driver if required will not be in the original windows .
Also when you clone to the array you might not have the correct offset from your original OS that will not reproduce on the Raid Array which could hurt performance so I would fresh install.

Suspended
I ran a number of SSD's in raid 0 for years with no issues, done it with HDD's in the past also.

Never tried it with NVME drives though.

They've been stable enough for me and the performance increase was pretty nice, it's worth doing if you can.

Permabanned
Have you considered how fragile a RAID0 array can be. This isn't something you want to do if any of your data matters and isn't easily recoverable.

Personally I don't think there is any issue with raid0 for home use as long as people have backups, which they should have no matter what raid they are using.

Soldato
Don’t do it. Unless you can have exact copy of your 2TB of space on a SSD so you can plug it in when that raid0 fall apart which it will.

Back
Top Bottom