RAID 0

Soldato
right i want to set up raid 0, i have these hard drive's

Hard Drive: Maxtor Diamondmax 10 300GB SATA 8MB Cache
Hard Drive 2: WD Caviar Special Edition 320GB SATA 8MB Cache

is it possible to do i understand you set up two partitions on each drive for raid 0, so could i use my os parition and another partion on the other drive with all my movies apps etc?, any help appreciated :)

Soldato
Tom|Nbk said:
right i want to set up raid 0, i have these hard drive's

Hard Drive: Maxtor Diamondmax 10 300GB SATA 8MB Cache
Hard Drive 2: WD Caviar Special Edition 320GB SATA 8MB Cache

is it possible to do i understand you set up two partitions on each drive for raid 0, so could i use my os parition and another partion on the other drive with all my movies apps etc?, any help appreciated :)

RAID comes in before partitions, so the drives themselves will be RAIDed not the partitions

IIRC you could RAID0 then but would lose 20gb off the WD, giving you 600GB overall

i wouldnt bother personally, 600GB full of stuff and double the chance of failure, i'd rather not :o

Man of Honour
Smiley Man said:
RAID comes in before partitions, so the drives themselves will be RAIDed not the partitions

Not quite sure what you mean here, it might be possible to set up a partition on both drives and then Raid the two partitions together. Not a particularly good idea I would say but it might be possible, I don't have a computer with Raid that I can mess about with just now to try it though.

Smiley Man said:
IIRC you could RAID0 then but would lose 20gb off the WD, giving you 600GB overall

Totally right and it is best to always try to match drives exactly so that there is less risk of the drives going out of sync.

Smiley Man said:
i wouldnt bother personally, 600GB full of stuff and double the chance of failure, i'd rather not :o

Agreed, unless your data doesn't mean much to you, you have a good backup routine or your use(video/music/graphics editing type stuff) demands Raid0 regardless then it generally isn't worth it. The rate of failure isn't exactly doubled but that is academic really, it is massively increased :)

Back
Top Bottom